Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: 2019

Post by doc »

I'd personally like to see the return of good ball handling props. Sammy Kibula is the best we have at that at the moment. Saying that he is also the biggest prop on the books at the moment but needs to improve his endurance and be more aggressive.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

doc wrote:I'd personally like to see the return of good ball handling props. Sammy Kibula is the best we have at that at the moment. Saying that he is also the biggest prop on the books at the moment but needs to improve his endurance and be more aggressive.
Yeah, I just watched the U19 highlights and he looks great at that level, doesn't he? He has the "great hands for a big man" that the Aussie commentators are always banging on about, and I hope he can make the step up. But maybe it's easier to coach the ball skills than the natural aggression?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Josie's friend wrote: Lockers just for his experience will be safe plus a fit Lockers even at his age is by far our best player.
But surely that fit Lockers is the basic problem and it is only going to get worse?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

ian.birchall wrote:
Josie's friend wrote: Lockers just for his experience will be safe plus a fit Lockers even at his age is by far our best player.
But surely that fit Lockers is the basic problem and it is only going to get worse?
Yes it is unless someone apart from Lockers makes the decision. Sean will always meet the call if needed and any manager with that quality of player will not refuse it.
Personally I'd like to see him take over Wane or at least go assistant. This way he doesn't have to play and his influence and decision making still effects the team throughout the game.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

oldhooker wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:
doc wrote:With the continuing moves to reduce the number of interchanges perhaps a smaller, more mobile pack of forwards with greater endurance is the way to go, in which case we may be ahead of the field.
If that's the case the sport will die, it's that simple. People like watching big props smashing through defences, take another aspect of this sport away and it won't end well.
As for being ahead of the field, getting bullied in the pack by almost ever other side is never good.
You really believe fans prefer to watch props bashing each other than fast, elusive players playing open exciting Rugby? I hope you never have a say in the future of RL.

I think that a combination of both is what the sport/a team require. I absolutely love watching a forward run the ball at the line with speed and strength to smash into the opposition, sometimes breaking the line but mostly to push the opposition defensive line back quickly, then combine that with a quick play the ball which a dominant forward should get, gives the quicker more elusive skilled players more room to show their skills and produce scoring opportunities.

A lot of fans seem to bag Williams, but just imagine him running the line with his props and second rowers running deep lines at speed, then being free to choose his pass and be again free to back up a half break in a bit of space. Maybe then we'd see the real Williams.

Even close to the line we have rarely had big forwards running onto the ball at pace, only recently have we had Clubb plodding onto the ball near the line and look how successful that's been, now imagine Clubb running onto a ball at full speed near the line?!!!

Matt