Should Joel be Sacked?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Richymac

Re: Should Joel be Sacked?

Post by Richymac »

Yes. Get him out the door asap
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

No. He's accepted the punishment and, like Ben Flower, Hardaker et al, he's going to have to live with it for a long time.
Reading through the other thread on this topic, almost every comment expresses disgust at his actions but each one adds a little bit of the contributors own thoughts, amplifying the situation in our minds until we've got to this stage where we are having a survey as to his future.
I'll wager that when they walked out of that pub, one said to the other, "We're in the shit here you know" and the morning after, realisation set in. Joel knows he's got off relatively lightly and for a month or two, things will be difficult, he's just moved into a nice cottage, new neighbours looking at him in a different light etc, he does have a life outside rugby.
Why should we, as supporters, decide that he's not welcome at the club any more.
He's having an enforced mid-season break and he'll come back on the field and do it, he's got to prove his trust in the fans and the club, not turn out thinking that this lot wanted him sacked.
Time to let it go and draw a line under the whole sorry episode.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

I'm with Josie and Bill.Inger on this one.
Time to move on.
Yes, it was dreadful. But apologies have been made, the club has applied sanctions and fines, the victim has been compensated.
Does the vituperative attitude which just says Sack Him go on for ever?

If the miscreants learn from their mistakes, as they appear to have done, then we should all move on.

Everyone makes mistakes, we are human. If we were all castigated for ever for our errors we would be back in the stone age. Time now to show a more magnanimous attitude.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
Stevethegas
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

stevethegas wrote:I'm with Josie and Bill.Inger on this one.
Time to move on.
Yes, it was dreadful. But apologies have been made, the club has applied sanctions and fines, the victim has been compensated.
Does the vituperative attitude which just says Sack Him go on for ever?

If the miscreants learn from their mistakes, as they appear to have done, then we should all move on.

Everyone makes mistakes, we are human. If we were all castigated for ever for our errors we would be back in the stone age. Time now to show a more magnanimous attitude.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Ordinarily, I would agree, but the problem we have here is the underlying culture and the message this sends to the rest of the group. For the greater good, we have to draw the line somewhere.

I agree that he appears contrite - which is fine - but sometimes you need to be seen to do the right thing. He is a senior pro who by his own admission had so much to drink that he lost control of his actions. If he was 20 then it would be understandable, but he knew full well what he was doing when he chose to get so wasted.

It might even be better for him in the long run to take a good look at himself at Widnes/Leigh/Salford.

Our views are irrelevant. The club won't sack him. If they had any view on moral standpoints, they would have sacked Flower. And instead gave him a cuddle for shaming the club.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think the club behaving honourably and correctly with Ben Flower. As I recall at the time, even most Saints fans grudgingly agreed.

I would like to see JT out of the door, though.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Getting sick of certain fans bringing up Flower, this is totally different to that incident, Flowers was a heat of the moment brain fart after getting smashed in the face with a forearm ffs, Sky didn't do Flower any favour's by only ever showing it in slow motion making it look way more badder than it was.

If the club want players to behave in the future then an example needs making of Joel, It's about time the boys club mentality was broken at club and players where accountable for their actions, Lenagan really needs to grow a set and do what's right for the club
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

Maybe I could add my sixpennurth. It probably is a sackable offence but this would leave JT & more importantly his family in a bad way. He is 29, a lot of years in front of him. Why did he do it? Because he was drunk but why was he drunk. The reason why I drank in excess was because of work related stress. When work stopped I stopped the excess drinking. He probably needs help, but I think he needs to move on as well. I dont think the drink is part of RL culture argument stands-Ellery didnt drink, I dont think Isa drinks. By way of being positive, I think Rads should give a call to the owner of Toulouse Olympic. They are a go ahead Club, building a new stadium. Eddy Pettybourne plays from them. They may well end up in SL but not yet. This would get JT out of English RL for a while and he would have his brother & family down the road an hour away. Incidently I heard that Wakefield so called fans were going to get some Rectum of Wigan Banners for Thursday. Things must be pretty dire over the breakfast table at JT Towers at the moment. Lets try & do the best for him his family, the Club & RL
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Most other teams fans say he's done wrong, apologised and been fined and banned. End of.

Its only Wigan fans who want him sacked as he's not been good enough since his return, and therefore an easy option to get rid.

What would be the outcome if it was Lockers or Farrell ?

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

First Try Tickle wrote:Most other teams fans say he's done wrong, apologised and been fined and banned. End of.

Its only Wigan fans who want him sacked as he's not been good enough since his return, and therefore an easy option to get rid.

Sack them, don't give a shite who the player is, no player is bigger than the club, he would have been out of the under former owners, letting him off with a short ban and a fine just shows current and future players they can get away with what ever they like
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:Most other teams fans say he's done wrong, apologised and been fined and banned. End of.

Sack them, don't give a shite who the player is, no player is bigger than the club, he would have been out of the under former owners, letting him off with a short ban and a fine just shows current and future players they can get away with what ever they like
So have you never made a grave mistake?

I was shocked & appalled when it all eventually surfaced but it’s been dealt with by the club, he’s apologised. It won’t be the first & won’t be the last.

If it wasn’t a Wigan RL player but ordinary Joe Public there wouldn’t have been all this outcry! Probably just two measly lines in a local paper!

Think it’s been blown out of all proportion now!

Let’s move on.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan