Batemans Gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Batemans Gone

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote:Looks like the club is sticking to its guns and insisting on the transfer fee.

I hope the amount of the transfer fee was put in the contract so he doesn't go for a nominal sum.

Normally I couldn't care less about transfer fees and would prefer the club forced players to see contracts out even if that meant they left at the end of their contract for free. It's RL we are playing here, not Monopoly.

However in this case it's clear his contract says he can leave if a fee is paid so there is nothing to be done if the Raiders cough up the cash. That being so and given there seems to be a general feeling that finances are tight at Wigan, the club needs to cash in properly.
I think it’s clear that the club is having to pay its way the non replacements of players leaving,Sam being allowed to leave etc,no bad thing at least IL is preparing at least for his departure in the coming years,better to leave a club on an even keel rather than constantly losing money as has been the case recently
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
DaveO wrote:Looks like the club is sticking to its guns and insisting on the transfer fee.

I hope the amount of the transfer fee was put in the contract so he doesn't go for a nominal sum.

Normally I couldn't care less about transfer fees and would prefer the club forced players to see contracts out even if that meant they left at the end of their contract for free. It's RL we are playing here, not Monopoly.

However in this case it's clear his contract says he can leave if a fee is paid so there is nothing to be done if the Raiders cough up the cash. That being so and given there seems to be a general feeling that finances are tight at Wigan, the club needs to cash in properly.
I think it’s clear that the club is having to pay its way the non replacements of players leaving,Sam being allowed to leave etc,no bad thing at least IL is preparing at least for his departure in the coming years,better to leave a club on an even keel rather than constantly losing money as has been the case recently
The even keel he needs to leave the club on is one where it pays to the full cap in wages and is exploiting the marquee rule otherwise under his tenure the club will have gone backwards financially.

Remember the Sky TV money pays the salary cap of all the non-marquee players. As such I think there is no excuse to not replace players unless the club has suddenly got into the state where it can no longer afford to pay to the full cap and needs to direct some of the Sky money at not just the players wages (which it was doing with a £2m+ wage bill).

If we are in that state then I think you have to say that represents a big failure on Lenegan's part and mid table mediocrity beckons. He's always quick to say how a big a club Wigan is and how big a name it is but if we are in that state he has failed to exploit its position to secure the finances to an adequate level. Other top clubs do not seem to be suffering e.g. Saints.

I rue the fact the club seems to be in the position it needs to get a top fee for Bateman.
pedro

Post by pedro »

heard they dont want to pay the 6 figure transfer fee, tough if they dont
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:heard they dont want to pay the 6 figure transfer fee, tough if they dont
Bateman our player next year then! It would be insane to let him go on the cheap and I don't think he'd spit the dummy if he ended up here in 2019 because of this.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Spoke to him tonight, he says he doesn’t know where all these stories the last few days are coming from as he hasn’t signed anything yet & hopefully everything will be sorted for next week.

Obviously he’s not going to come out & announce anything before the club announcement.

But when he came over to the East stand after the game he was banging his Wigan badge with pride.

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well he put in a hell of a shift, didn't he? As he always does.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

.....he says he doesn’t no where all these stories the last few days are coming from....
They come from journos desperately trying to string copy together.

The journos are pretty skilled at making rumours appear as fact. Wigan Today is a past master at this. Read some of the RL pieces in there and you can initially go away thinking it's nailed on whatever the headline says is true.

Read it again having calmed down and you will struggle to find any actual facts.

Not saying RL journos don't ever offer up a scoop but most of the time you'd think they got their info off this and other forums....
BriH

Post by BriH »

josie andrews wrote:Spoke to him tonight, he says he doesn’t no where all these stories the last few days are coming from as he hasn’t signed anything yet & hopefully everything will be sorted for next week.

Obviously he’s not going to come out & announce anything before the club announcement.

But when he came over to the East stand after the game he was banging his Wigan badge with pride.
The way he is playing he looks totally committed to Wigan! But..........so does Sam T!!
I really, really hope he stays with us. Somebody said make him Captain. Interesting thought.
Come on IL! Don't sell off our prized possession!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

John gave everything as usual last night. Bearing in mind his trip to Denver and the heavy knock he took early in the game, his performance was immense. He had Hall in his pocket the whole game. I know that overall he's more effective in the backrow but this season we are far stronger with John at centre.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Anybody else really want to keep him but develop him as a centre?

His engine and defence are awesome!!