Tonight’s game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Tonight’s game

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Completely outplayed.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't disagree with either comment. I've stuck up for Powell, who I think has had some unfair criticism at times earlier in the season, but it's surely clear that he doesn't offer anywhere near enough.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The Cowboys have been pretty poor, though! :lol:
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Just beaten by a better side, halves ineffectual centres average.Forwards gave everything but every good thing we do revolves around Sam or Bateman who were superb.We are losing these 2 and I doubt we will make many more signings so the so called doom and gloom merchants are right in saying things dont look too good.If anyone is encouraged by that showing then they are easily pleased.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

old hooker wrote:Just beaten by a better side, halves ineffectual centres average.Forwards gave everything but every good thing we do revolves around Sam or Bateman who were superb.We are losing these 2 and I doubt we will make many more signings so the so called doom and gloom merchants are right in saying things dont look too good.If anyone is encouraged by that showing then they are easily pleased.
Looks like one or two references to my post, OH. In case I'm right, could I point out that I didn't say I was encouraged, but "disappointed .... although some encouraging signs".

I knew that there are plenty posters on here who are much better qualified, able and ever ready to detail our failings. It seemed futile for me to point them out too, so I thought I'd bring a few green shoots of hope to the conversation.

The biggest disappointment for me was the bloke behind us who constantly shouted that he'd never seen anything as bad in 60 years of watching Wigan. He repeatedly said that, if we were nilled he wouldn't come again. We scored 6.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: The biggest disappointment for me was the bloke behind us who constantly shouted that he'd never seen anything as bad in 60 years of watching Wigan. He repeatedly said that, if we were nilled he wouldn't come again. We scored 6.
I bet he'd be there next week if we had got nilled and while it's a bit childish to be shouting that don't you feel his pain? I bet he genuinely does think it's one of the worst sides he'd seen in 60 years (and before anyone quips it was me, no it wasn't! ;) )

As to your green shoots if you look at various forums not just here you will find people trying to take the positives out of individual performances but you can do that every time we lose. I think by now all lines of enquiry point in one direction which is despite the efforts of Bateman or whoever has a good game, the team collectively is not good enough as a team.

The going sideways, nothing coming from the half backs, no support play etc all nullify the odd individual performance and I don't think people see this changing until Wane has left. Even then it looks like the new coach will be hamstrung with the two best players leaving. The fact a positive was our new centre didn't look crap says it all. We no longer expect much from our recruits.
ian b

Post by ian b »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: The biggest disappointment for me was the bloke behind us who constantly shouted that he'd never seen anything as bad in 60 years of watching Wigan. He repeatedly said that, if we were nilled he wouldn't come again. We scored 6.
I bet he'd be there next week if we had got nilled and while it's a bit childish to be shouting that don't you feel his pain? I bet he genuinely does think it's one of the worst sides he'd seen in 60 years (and before anyone quips it was no, no it wasn't! ;) )

As to your green shoots if you look at various forums not just here you will find people trying to take the positives out of individual performances but you can do that every time we lose. I think by now all lines of enquiry point in one direction which is despite the efforts of Bateman or whoever has a good game, the team collectively is not good enough as a team.

The going sideways, nothing coming from the half backs, no support play etc all nullify the odd individual performance and I don't think people see this changing until Wane has left. Even then it looks like the new coach will be hamstrung with the two best players leaving. The fact a positive was our new centre didn't look crap says it all. We no longer expect much from our recruits.
is it the side or is it just the coaching ?
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Not one single fan around me did not blame Wane for this. We all know it is his team and it is his selections. If they do not perform it is his fault and to simply make excuses is what you would expect from someone who is out of his depth
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

Was at the match last night and was disappointed at our lack of attack. Having said that, after watching the game again, our defence was excellent. The trys scored by Saints were by a cock up between Sarginson and Liam Marshall, who have not played together for weeks, (I must admit that Sarginson is not my most favourite player). The second was by slack tackling from Sam Powell, who did not have a good game. Apart from these two occasions the defence was sound.
Sam Tomkins was awesome in defence as was Bateman. The Rookie. Chris Hankinson showed that we will expect some good stuff from him as he settles into the club. Once again Gabe Hamlin gave a good account of himself, as did Greenwood.

As for our Attack, I think the tactics of a Aussie coach are way better that the tactics trained by an English coach. No one can say that Shaun Wane has not had success whilst being coach, but I think the influence of a Aussie Coach would improve our players.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote:
I bet he'd be there next week if we had got nilled and while it's a bit childish to be shouting that don't you feel his pain? I bet he genuinely does think it's one of the worst sides he'd seen in 60 years (and before anyone quips it was no, no it wasn't! ;) )

The going sideways, nothing coming from the half backs, no support play etc all nullify the odd individual performance and I don't think people see this changing until Wane has left. Even then it looks like the new coach will be hamstrung with the two best players leaving. The fact a positive was our new centre didn't look crap says it all We no longer expect much from our recruits.
A good response, Dave. Unfortunately not to the points I actually made but to your interpretation of them.

eg What I said about Hankinson:
Chris Hankinson showed some promise in what could hardly have been a more pressurised debut short of being in a Grand Final.
I didn't mention Wane or coaching but I think we've all got the message that you're not that keen on him.

Could I introduce a random thought? There's been talk about falling attendances. Is it possible that one factor, illustrated by the fan of 60 years sat behind me, could be all the moaning that surrounds Wigan? You know that I live in Leeds - I really don't hear anything like the same level of complaining that Wigan fans produce, and they've had much more cause, almost certainly being in the middle 8s in 2 of the last 3 years.

Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐