All goes wrong with players out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: All goes wrong with players out

Post by Caboosegg »

We look more dangerous when Tomkins moves to the halves and escare goes full back. Its amazing how quickly fans turn on players. I'd like to see Escare given a good run at fullback. He was great when Tomkins was out injured, good enough that he earned a new contract.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote:We look more dangerous when Tomkins moves to the halves and escare goes full back. Its amazing how quickly fans turn on players. I'd like to see Escare given a good run at fullback. He was great when Tomkins was out injured, good enough that he earned a new contract.
Truth as I see is this Sam at the time of Escares arrival simply wasn’t showing the form he’s clearly in this season,and as such Escare’s little bit of form at seasons start last time out was a breath of air after the dross that’s been served up by Sam before then.

But time waits for no one,Sam’s form has been so impressive this time outbit has,for me shown Escare to be a average full back in comparison and in the halves..not sure he’s much cop there either we need someone perhaps better than him going forward.

I try not to be at least even handed with praise/criticism with players but I’m not sure even when he comes off the bench he offers much,I picked up on this last week he needs to sort himself out and for inspiration he needs only to look at Navarette,a player so transformed as to be unrecognisable from last season.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

The biggest miss for us at the moment is George Williams. The metres he makes, his try assists, his tackle busts and clean breaks. Just have a look at how the points scored have dropped and the results in the games he has been missing.

As for Escare, I don't know whether it's a confidence thing or injury. Against Widnes, Cas, Wire and Leeds he was clear and didn't back himself.
His defence is also suspect, he's missing over 20% of his tackles.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

In answering the chap who says that Tompkins is better than escare,nobody is disputing this allthough when ST was out for a while with a self inflicted injury Morgan did very well.The problem with our team is that Powell is not good enough to lead us around the field,but Sam is.Morgan has been filling in as an emergency half back when we have Sam who is a natural one.All of this would have dented Morgans confidence which is clearly evident in his recent displays.You vould say thatBen Barba is better that Lomax but the Saints players seem to fit in and play well whatever position they are in.Sam take note and play in the position that best suits the team,not yourself.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Suzieb wrote:In answering the chap who says that Tompkins is better than escare,nobody is disputing this allthough when ST was out for a while with a self inflicted injury Morgan did very well.The problem with our team is that Powell is not good enough to lead us around the field,but Sam is.Morgan has been filling in as an emergency half back when we have Sam who is a natural one.All of this would have dented Morgans confidence which is clearly evident in his recent displays.You vould say thatBen Barba is better that Lomax but the Saints players seem to fit in and play well whatever position they are in.Sam take note and play in the position that best suits the team,not yourself.
Sam is playing in his best position though,he’s easily the best FB in the super league this season and back to the sort of form that took him to the NRL truth be told so why on Earth move him,only to weaken that position with a lesser player(in my opinion of course)?.

You mention lomas and that’s a good comparison other than again he’s miles better than Escare,I’m sorry but he just isSam isn’t going to move over now for him and the spectre of an even better FB (form permitting) than Sam in Hardaker coming in where does it leave him?

I’m not so sure Wigan when it’s clear the team needs strengthening in other areas such as a prop or two and the halves can afford to have the lad as a reserve..the new coach hopefully will sort it out very soon.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

fozzieskem wrote:
Suzieb wrote:In answering the chap who says that Tompkins is better than escare,nobody is disputing this allthough when ST was out for a while with a self inflicted injury Morgan did very well.The problem with our team is that Powell is not good enough to lead us around the field,but Sam is.Morgan has been filling in as an emergency half back when we have Sam who is a natural one.All of this would have dented Morgans confidence which is clearly evident in his recent displays.You vould say thatBen Barba is better that Lomax but the Saints players seem to fit in and play well whatever position they are in.Sam take note and play in the position that best suits the team,not yourself.
Sam is playing in his best position though,he’s easily the best FB in the super league this season and back to the sort of form that took him to the NRL truth be told so why on Earth move him,only to weaken that position with a lesser player(in my opinion of course)?.

You mention lomas and that’s a good comparison other than again he’s miles better than Escare,I’m sorry but he just isSam isn’t going to move over now for him and the spectre of an even better FB (form permitting) than Sam in Hardaker coming in where does it leave him?

I’m not so sure Wigan when it’s clear the team needs strengthening in other areas such as a prop or two and the halves can afford to have the lad as a reserve..the new coach hopefully will sort it out very soon.
Have to disagree with you on that. He's a shadow of the player that went to the NRL IMHO.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote:

Ratchford has been a better fullback this year, and hes outplayed Tomkins in all the wigan/wire matches.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Fujiman wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:

Have to disagree with you on that. He's a shadow of the player that went to the NRL IMHO.
I don’t think he’s the player he was. He’s lost that bit of pace that ripped teams apart, still a very skilful player though. He would be even better if he concentrated on the game in hand then gobbing off to the ref, that’s his biggest letdown for me at the moment.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Been one of Sam's biggest critics in his second spell but Saints really put Sam under intense pressure throughout. Unlike Richardson who (apart from the early shot from Clubby) was given all the time and space he wanted or needed to kick us around the field

Sam's defence was outstanding. Made at least two try saving tackles and took every high kick despite some really great kick chase. This kept him preoccupied as he should have been more involved in our toothless attack. When he did get involved his lack of pace and tired team mates couldn't exploit his skill

Could have been a totally different game if Escare had been at full back but then that's the fun of hindsight
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

This and previous posts are not discussing whether or not Sam is better than Morgan,its about how to get the team playing attractive rugby.In the early part of the season the switch between these two players seemed to work but for some reason it stopped with Morgan coming into the halves and Sam staying at fullback.The coach should rightly take the blame as he has let players dictate where they play.A good example for instance is John Bateman plays wherever he is picked and plays his heart out.