Squad Rethink 2019

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Squad Rethink 2019

Post by southportcdm »

Morgan is a good squad player but and has improved but I'd be worried if Zak goes and isn't replaced. I hope last night's headless chicken attack isn't what we can expect without Sam next season. We really need to sign somebody to organise the attack and Hastings is/was the best option.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

When we signed Morgan to cover for Sam's injury, he had a brilliant start for us up to getting badly injured at Castleford, the same game we lost Manfredi & Flower for the the season.

He was an excellent player for us & kicking goals too! I don't remember anyone saying he was just a squad player then!

How fickle we fans are?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Morgans defence was good when he played fullback regular....he was fantastic when we beat cronulla.....sam isnt the best defensive fullback and neither is zak for that matter
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote:Morgans defence was good when he played fullback regular....he was fantastic when we beat cronulla.....sam isnt the best defensive fullback and neither is zak for that matter
That was the problem, Morgan played great when he got regular games but to keep leaving him damages confidence as well as form.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

jaws1 wrote:I Zak gets the boot move Sargison to full back don't forget we Hankinson for centre keep Morgan on the bench
Full back is a vital position in RL, Sarge doesn’t have the skills to play that role.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

The sooner lam gets here the better as there is a lot of work to be done for 2019. Difficult decisions need to be made as to lockers and Tommy do they need to retire and free up some salary cap. And do we retain Hardaker?. Lockers has been a great servant but one appearance for 20 minutes in 2 months is no use to anyone. With the current squad it would be great if Burgess and Manfredi could slot into the fullback and centre role this would give us tremendous pace in the back line. Sarginson is not the answer, in fact I would look to offload him. But whatever happens we need to get Hastings because on Friday nights display Williams and Woods does not work. Also we need a back row forward to replace Bateman. And if the rule changes regarding the number of interchanges then we need to look at our props as Clubb cannot do big minutes. Not sure we have adequately replaced Sutton either, so we will need props who can do big minutes. Morgan and Isa are the ideal subs because of their versatility. Hopefully, interesting times ahead.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Mellor is going to Toronto.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

If Zak did go, I’d try Dom at FB. He can tackle, good under the high ball and is as tough as they come.
Wingers can be Davies and burgess then, be a good backline that.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

What did everyone think of Mullen at dummy half. Last time I saw him was as a full back covering in the centres. He certainly bossed our middles around and was not afraid to shove some senior players out of the way at the ptb. Wane took him to Australia ahead of some older heads so I assume that we have a plan for him.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

warriors01 wrote:The sooner lam gets here the better as there is a lot of work to be done for 2019. Difficult decisions need to be made as to lockers and Tommy do they need to retire and free up some salary cap. And do we retain Hardaker?. Lockers has been a great servant but one appearance for 20 minutes in 2 months is no use to anyone. With the current squad it would be great if Burgess and Manfredi could slot into the fullback and centre role this would give us tremendous pace in the back line. Sarginson is not the answer, in fact I would look to offload him. But whatever happens we need to get Hastings because on Friday nights display Williams and Woods does not work. Also we need a back row forward to replace Bateman. And if the rule changes regarding the number of interchanges then we need to look at our props as Clubb cannot do big minutes. Not sure we have adequately replaced Sutton either, so we will need props who can do big minutes. Morgan and Isa are the ideal subs because of their versatility. Hopefully, interesting times ahead.

I'm happy with our backrow next year

Escare, Burgess/Marshall/Manfredi/Davis, Gildart/Sarge, Farrell/greenwood
With Isa in the mix i would say apart from maybe centre we will have one of the best backrows in the league.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.