Club Finances

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Club Finances

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:12 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47 am So how many "big name" sponsors do you see here?

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54 ... eague-kits
Sadly i say Stains have the biggest one on their away shirts.
I'd say Leeds has the biggest
DaveO

Club Finances

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:58 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:It is well documented that IL is using his own money to fund the club and this could be the reason why he has not bought the high profile players other clubs have done.

Has the London venture brought any clear benefit?

What came of the trip to Australia? It was documented as a money maker

I have seen posters on here mentioning us refusing to have a big money sponsor. What is the story with this?
I haven’t seen anyone saying we refuse to have a big money sponsor. I have posted IL has failed to secure one.

It’s been my view from more or less day one of IL owning the club that while he is rich he’s not got the seemingly bottomless pit of cash some who is super rich has. So he’s probably as put in as much as he can afford.

The trouble with that is we appear to have a shortfall as we are making losses. So if he can’t afford to bankroll the club he needs to find sponsorship of sufficient level to make up the required amount which he hasn’t or else we would not be posting losses.

The Aussie and London trips were bizarre. Neither as far as we know has led to anything long term nor prevented those losses from occurring.
Out of curiosity apart from the league itself which club doed have a big name sponser?
Well Medlocke answered your question but why do you even ask?

The point I am making is RL clubs incomes come mainly from Sky TV and sponsorship with gate receipts and merchandise a minor part of that overall and so if Wigan are making losses IL has not found a big enough sponsor. What sponsorship other clubs have does not affect this.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:59 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:58 pm

I haven’t seen anyone saying we refuse to have a big money sponsor. I have posted IL has failed to secure one.

It’s been my view from more or less day one of IL owning the club that while he is rich he’s not got the seemingly bottomless pit of cash some who is super rich has. So he’s probably as put in as much as he can afford.

The trouble with that is we appear to have a shortfall as we are making losses. So if he can’t afford to bankroll the club he needs to find sponsorship of sufficient level to make up the required amount which he hasn’t or else we would not be posting losses.

The Aussie and London trips were bizarre. Neither as far as we know has led to anything long term nor prevented those losses from occurring.
Out of curiosity apart from the league itself which club doed have a big name sponser?
Well Medlocke answered your question but why do you even ask?

The point I am making is RL clubs incomes come mainly from Sky TV and sponsorship with gate receipts and merchandise a minor part of that overall and so if Wigan are making losses IL has not found a big enough sponsor. What sponsorship other clubs have does not affect this.
have you ever stopped to think that RL cannot attract the level of sponsers you want anymore?
we are restricted to SKY TV and only the Challenge cup outside that, crowds are dropping. what benifit would a national sponser have?

the point about other clubs is that none of the teams have massive sponsers, but you expect wigan to?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’d say the losses aren’t helped by not having your own ground either,yes yes no doubt all the accountants on here will explain that’s it’s not a good idea to own your own ground,other than of course the huge asset that’s yours,the match day money from hospitality etc,etc

By the time Orrell is sold the club will have no assets to call their own,all very well having leases here and there but you need in my humble opinion assets of your own to thrive as a club
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Is a football stadium an an asset? The land is as it can be used for other other things, but unless you are a sports team looking for a ground, its pretty worthless as a resale asset.

it can attract other funding streams via weddings etc, both those involve higher costs, so its swings and roundabouts as to whether your own ground is an asset or a millstone
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Lazy J wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 pm Is a football stadium an an asset? The land is as it can be used for other other things, but unless you are a sports team looking for a ground, its pretty worthless as a resale asset.

it can attract other funding streams via weddings etc, both those involve higher costs, so its swings and roundabouts as to whether your own ground is an asset or a millstone
At the very,very worst you can raise a mortgage on a stadium,yiu can’t beat bricks and mortar,it certainly has a better resale value than sweet FA😀 and as you say stadiums nowadays rarely rely on just match days for their income
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Have a look at these.
Saints with their own ground lost over £1 million in the last published accounts in August last year. They haven't shown a profit for around twenty years.

If you look at page 9 it appears that they owe someone over £20 million. It may not be a problem as it is probably Coleman who is a director, but we know only too well what happens if a creditor "calls in" the debt.

It's a sad indictment of the game in general and shows why the next t.v. deal is so important to all the clubs.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history