Andrew Johns denied 77...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Andrew Johns denied 77...

Post by Fraggle »

wiganrldeanh posted:
Also for example, if dallas was to go full back then im sure he'd have to have a smaller shirt than Radlinski and arent the shitrs taylored? Therefore if a player was to change position, the club would either have to change the number on the players shirt or get them a new one (which both cost money).
I hadn't considered that. I presume that's not a problem for Union as all the shirts are the same size no matter what the position - they're all XL (extra lard).
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Fraggle posted:
wiganrldeanh posted:
Also for example, if dallas was to go full back then im sure he'd have to have a smaller shirt than Radlinski and arent the shitrs taylored? Therefore if a player was to change position, the club would either have to change the number on the players shirt or get them a new one (which both cost money).
I hadn't considered that. I presume that's not a problem for Union as all the shirts are the same size no matter what the position - they're all XL (extra lard).
Very narrow minded Fraggle, they also have XXL, XXXL, XXXXL, XXXXXL. Sometimes they are labelled FBS, SFBS, SDFBS, MFBS, UFBS!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It wasn't that long ago that Wigan used to issue 1 - 13 rather than the stupid squad number thing. I agree with what's been said above. It makes it much easier for new comers to understand if the team is number 1-13 rather than everyone getting a shirt number for the year - Robbie Paul used to wear the number 1 shirt despite the fact he played scrum half.

As for tailoring shirts - I would imagine most players get a new shirt every couple of weeks if not every game - and if it were only the matter of putting the number on their backs, rather than their name as well then it shouldn't be a problem. Players then have the incentive to play well so people notice them and learn their name - rather than having it written on their backs for all to see.

On the marketing front - Union side Leicester Tigers used to wear letters A - O instead of numbers and were forced to change them to numbers - probably to help the referees!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

But aswell even though it is a good idea to keep the same number all the time so fans can personalise shirts, i dont understand why fans do personalise their shirts! I think its a waste of money and when that player leaves, its out of date. I can understand maybe little kids wanting their own names on the back of their shirts but thats a bit different.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Matthew posted:
It wasn't that long ago that Wigan used to issue 1 - 13 rather than the stupid squad number thing. I agree with what's been said above. It makes it much easier for new comers to understand if the team is number 1-13 rather than everyone getting a shirt number for the year - Robbie Paul used to wear the number 1 shirt despite the fact he played scrum half.

As for tailoring shirts - I would imagine most players get a new shirt every couple of weeks if not every game - and if it were only the matter of putting the number on their backs, rather than their name as well then it shouldn't be a problem. Players then have the incentive to play well so people notice them and learn their name - rather than having it written on their backs for all to see.

On the marketing front - Union side Leicester Tigers used to wear letters A - O instead of numbers and were forced to change them to numbers - probably to help the referees!
Wigan are ok in my opinion, all the first choice players have the shirt of their position, e.g. fullback - 1, hooker - 9, etc. It does seem odd Paul being 1 when he rarely plays fullback, what did seem stupid was Leigh's squad number selection, I think they just did it 'because they could' and knew they wouldn't be able to the season after in NL1 (who still use squad numbers).

Players do use the same shirt week in week out. If you looked at Leeds last season the Tetley's logo was extremely faded towards the end of the season, because they'd been washed so many times. Same with the JJB logo.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

robjoenz posted:
Wigan are ok in my opinion, all the first choice players have the shirt of their position, e.g. fullback - 1, hooker - 9, etc. It does seem odd Paul being 1 when he rarely plays fullback, what did seem stupid was Leigh's squad number selection, I think they just did it 'because they could' and knew they wouldn't be able to the season after in NL1 (who still use squad numbers).
When it comes to shirts I think Wigan are better than most (when it comes to everything else - of course they are the best!), the problem is that some players could get used to wearing a certain number outside the 13 and then when they make the step up, want to keep it; thinking it's "lucky" This leads to players that don't make the starting 17 wearing out of position numbers.
Players do use the same shirt week in week out. If you looked at Leeds last season the Tetley's logo was extremely faded towards the end of the season, because they'd been washed so many times. Same with the JJB logo.
In the good old days, Wigan used to have specially made shirts for every big game they played that would have the fixture details on them - ah the glory days...

Getting back to Johns; why doesn't he wear Appo's number? (and a black armband) - Appo won't be needing it after they show him the door. Why stop there, why not take his house, car...
:D
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Wigan are ok in my opinion, all the first choice players have the shirt of their position, e.g. fullback - 1, hooker - 9, etc.
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to play our first choice side? Be interesting to see who gets the 1-13 squad numbers for next season.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
Very narrow minded Fraggle, they also have XXL, XXXL, XXXXL, XXXXXL.
You mean, extra-extra lard, lard with extra lard, super-sized lard and death by cholesterol?

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

I think that when jonny vegas played for the saints the number "69" was very apropiate for him lol. :lol:

In that game it was nice to see a celebrity getting involved in the game as it advertises the game to his fans and others who watch his television shows.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

wiganrldeanh posted:
I think that when jonny vegas played for the saints the number "69" was very apropiate for him lol. :lol:
Great idea of him to print his house number on his shirt so he wouldn't forget. Either that or someone trebled his IQ...
In that game it was nice to see a celebrity getting involved in the game as it advertises the game to his fans and others who watch his television shows.
Did you ever watch it? I did, for 5 minutes, and then found some paint drying which was far more entertaining. No wonder the series was caped early due to lack of viewers. "25 stone of ****" indeed....

[hr]