Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by Southern Softy »

Top post that.

Looks as if we may be in for a season of Powell at hooker with (maybe) Tommy taking over in the second half of matches. Hope he gets back to his form of two seasons ago. Sad (but nor surprised) to see O'Neill not being given a chance and quite cross that Halsall doesn't even make the 21.
Excellent to see the talented and error-free James Child being given a rare chance to ref us on TV.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:53 am Top post that.

Looks as if we may be in for a season of Powell at hooker with (maybe) Tommy taking over in the second half of matches. Hope he gets back to his form of two seasons ago. Sad (but nor surprised) to see O'Neill not being given a chance and quite cross that Halsall doesn't even make the 21.
Excellent to see the talented and error-free James Child being given a rare chance to ref us on TV.
Who has indicated that Tommy may be interchange hooker?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's happened in the past and assuming that the experiment with Shorrocks has ended (if he's in the final 17) I don't see any alternative in the squad if tactics need to be changed.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:28 am It's happened in the past and assuming that the experiment with Shorrocks has ended (if he's in the final 17) I don't see any alternative in the squad if tactics need to be changed.
Happened in the past when? Tommy barely played hooker under Lam.

Whilst Powell has his limitations and critics, he can play 80 minutes. On that basis I think a bench spot taken up by Tommy would be a waste.

As you say though, having someone like Tommy or Smith on the bench does give options to switch things around at 7 and 9.

Since we don’t have an impact hooker, I’d prefer it if Peet picks his best 6, 7 and 9 for the game and bench spots are taken up by forwards.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Disappointing for some, but great news for Powell’s legion of fans that there is no O’Neill. Given that the fabled “Leadership Group” includes Powell, Leuluai and Isa, they will play when they want for as long as they want. As a non running hooker, Powell could play 160 minutes if required.
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:54 am Disappointing for some, but great news for Powell’s legion of fans that there is no O’Neill. Given that the fabled “Leadership Group” includes Powell, Leuluai and Isa, they will play when they want for as long as they want. As a non running hooker, Powell could play 160 minutes if required.
Exactly,what is the point of having a player that can play 80 minutes if he is as poor?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:53 am Top post that.

Liking the comment on Child, TBH it applies to them all when reffing Wigan :)

The players who really looked good in the two friendlies are KPP, Thornley, Byrne, Mago, Nsemba, Halsall and O'Neil. Perhaps its a bit too soon for the last three but I'd tip O'Neil to push Powell all the way this season.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I think he'll go big on the bench so I can see Smith, Shorrocks, Miski and Smithies missing out. I reckon Hardaker will probably start on the bench alongside Byrne, Mago and Partington.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

My only doubt tonight is tommy at seven…… ide go with him as a back up 9 but would defo leave smith in the team…..KPP on the bench as a super sub if zak starts at centre……. I think a good win tonight will get matty peats doubters very upbeat……our kicking game and lack of errors and bad discipline will win it for us tonight……. Cant wait tbh
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I haven't seen any pre season fixtures matches or highlights. Purely going off the squad listed, I'd like to see the following line up:

3. Hardaker
24. Miski
2. Bibby
4. Thornley
5. Marshall
23. Field
6. Cust
8. Singleton
7. Leuluai
17. Partington
21. Pearce-Paul
12. Farrell (c)
22. Shorrocks

9. Powell
10. Mago
13. Bateman
15. Ellis

Obviously this wont be the line up. I haven't seen the imports play and the the players I have selected in the 17 are on merit from last season (excluding Jai through injury). Either way, hopeful for victory, think KR (A) is a tough ask for any team!