Wigan squad for Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan squad for Wakefield

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:31 pm I might be in the minority but I think the club are correct on both Powell and hardaker

Powell for all his faults is not a dirty player and while it was a horror tackle and a big ban is coming he is eligible and therefore should play - i think Sam will know he’s let himself and the club down but This is an isolated incident for a normally clean player

Hardaker a punishment was laid out from the start and part of that punishment will be letting his teammates down - one of the key principles of building a solid team is having players who will be there for eachother Zak has to watch his mates struggle without him and if he is a good team mate he will repay them when he is back.

So for me the club are doing the right thing in both situations
Dropping Hardaker for one game might have been the correct call though I am far from convinced. Pragmatism when you literally have no centres would have led me to be a bit more creative with any sanctions. Dropping him for two is way OTT. If he did something serious enough to be dropped for two games that clearly means another game with players out of position why has he not just been sacked? Two games dropped is a punishment I’d expect for serious misdemeanours not being late for training as we are led to believe.

As to his punishment meaning he’s let his teammates down, are you being serious? I mean are you seriously suggesting Peet will say to Hardaker “We have lost two in a row (if that happens) because the team was all over the place because I dropped you, don’t do it again”?

Hardaker won’t give a toss about the Saints result other than possibly thinking that’s what happens when he’s dropped, especially if he thinks the punishment was over the top.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would not have played Powell, as we have already admitted his tackle was very dirty. Plus, it gives us an extra game to test what many of us have been arguing for years - a running 9 will make us a better team. As for dropping Hardaker for both games, I would have thought he won’t be bothered in the slightest: it just hurts the team. They should play him, but make him take the ball up first each time we are in our own 20m.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:26 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am Matt Peet did say he wouldn’t be selected this weekend!
On Zak Hardaker, Peet said: “Zak dipped under some of our standards in the last week, but he’s been good today. We had a good conversation with him this morning and he understands and we move on as a group, this week unfortunately it is without Zak but he’s trained well this week and he is still very much still part of the team. What is important now for us and for Zak is how we move forward.”
Not true. To be pedantic that week will be last week by Monday. He didn’t mention the weekend as your quote clearly shows. So he has been dropped for longer than a week.

I expected him to be playing on Monday precisely because Peet said he was dropped for a week.
🥱🥱🥱
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Peet has correctly set a marker.for the players to follow Hardaker clearly hasn't followed those rules and is dropped he's the one at fault not Peet
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am Matt Peet did say he wouldn’t be selected this weekend!
I never knew Monday's were classed as "Weekend". Maybe I should try that at work ;)

However any one attempts to explain it is still two rounds of fixtures
Back by demand.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:59 pm I would not have played Powell, as we have already admitted his tackle was very dirty. Plus, it gives us an extra game to test what many of us have been arguing for years - a running 9 will make us a better team. As for dropping Hardaker for both games, I would have thought he won’t be bothered in the slightest: it just hurts the team. They should play him, but make him take the ball up first each time we are in our own 20m.
I agree with what you say but ide experiment a tad…… maybe play powell at 13 with smith at 7…… regardless what a lot of people think i think hes got it….. hastings sent this lad backwards with his control on every big play…….oneill at 9 and maybe a shot for mconelll( if thats the lad who scored that wonder try last season)…..and the young centre…….. also put bevan on the right wing and bibby left wing……wakefield have a very weakened squad so it shouldn’t be a problem……if we bounce back hard i think it will prove that our mentality has improved this season……. If we are poor i think its a heads down attitude and i fear we will be innthe same boat as last season..
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:20 pm
I never knew Monday's were classed as "Weekend". Maybe I should try that at work ;)

However any one attempts to explain it is still two rounds of fixtures
Well then technically Fridays game wasn't the weekend either so he was clear for both games. Or are we gonna be adults about it and just admit he probably meant for the whole bank holiday weekend just not in as many words?

Edit - just seen the use of a smiley so was a tongue in cheek comment. :roll:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

No one going for a prediction for the team :)

Field
French
Bibby
Bateman
Miski (last chance?)

Cust
Smith

Ellis
Powell
Singleton
Isa
Farrell
Smithies

Havard
O'Neil
Byrne
Mago

O'Neil must get some game time unless we are looking to shake it up by trying Cust at 9 and French at 6 at some point and bringing Halsall in for O'Neil.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Field
Bibby
Bateman
Halsall
Miski

French
Cust

Singleton
Powell
Ellis
Bryne
Farrell
Shorrocks

O'Neil
Mago
Havard
Smithies
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

With Tommy and Sam P going to be missing for a number of weeks Peet could do with giving O'Neil and Smith regular game time.
Smith to start at 7 against Wakefield with O'Neil playing from the bench.
We have plenty forwards available so he will be able to play Bateman at centre with probably Bibby or Isa playing the other centre spot. Halsall is available but Peet might well be play him wing.

By the time of the Salford game Hardaker will be available as possibly Marshall & Thornley.
Smith and O'Neil should hopefully both be in the starting 13.