Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: Thornley

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I said a few months ago. Thornley is not agile enough. He is very slow at turning around when chasing back and let's not talk about his injuries which is not his fault.

Very bad signing for a club wanting to go forward

Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Sorry but we're a better side when he doesn't play, Isa Farrell or Bateman make us better, his defence is not good enough and he doesn't play to his size,we let him go and he broke no pots at a lower level,real head scratcher for me.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:42 pm
Shevvylad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:00 pm It's ridiculous that of our existing centres, it's Bibby that we look to be getting rid of, especially in light of the way Bibby has been playing in recent weeks.
We aren’t getting rid of him, he’s been made a much better offer from Huddersfield. But we still don’t know for sure if he is leaving just yet, it’s all rumour, speculation & gobby Watson!
I didn’t bother posting how annoying it was and disrespectful that Watson declared a public interest in Bibby in the week leading up to the final as you don’t want to come across as making early excuses but now the dust has settled, I thought that showed a real lack of class from Watson. If they want him, that’s fine and work on getting it done behind the scenes but to be using it as a way of trying to unsettle a player and club before a final isn’t something that sits well.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

As for Thornley his injuries are a real worry. It’s been one after another and when that starts happening, it’s tough to turn it around. When he’s played I’ve been happy enough with him, he’s a physical presence, makes good ground, been a threat with the ball but I’d agree defensively he needs to be better but when you keep missing games, it’s tough to build up cohesion with those around you.

In the short term now I hope we see Halsall get his chance. Peet out his faith in Brad O’Neill before him when Powell was out and now I reckon it should be Halsall’s big opportunity. He scored an absolute corker for Newcastle at the weekend and is running in try’s for fun across the sides he’s playing for.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Totally agree - I’d love to see him get a run of games under his belt and hopefully make it his position in the team… fingers crossed!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'd also like to see Halsall get a run of games now. I just wonder if the coaching team don't thinbk he's quite ready yet. I don't think he's played more than two in a row so far. If the coaching team are hoping that he's the long term answer to the centre position now's the time (whilst KPP and Thornley are out) to give the lad an extended run at centre rather than giving him the odd game on the wing. If they put Miski outside him, whilst Jai is playing at 6 and Bevan at 1, we also give Abbas the chance to show if he's really worth a quota spot. Starting Jai at 6 for a few more games would also let us make a more informed decision on his long-term suitability for that role and perhaps allow us to keep both he and Bevan happy. We can use evidence from the next few weeks to make the right decisions for next season whilst not rushing back Tommy, Cade or KPP. If we do lose KPP this season (I really think he should stay for another couple of yeas) making the right decisions on Halsall becomes even more important.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I feel sorry for Iain, he's been very unlucky this season. I get the impression he worked very hard in the off season and was in good form in preseason games. I'm sure he was a 'cost effective' back up signing but think his form, when fit, has been good enough to deserve a place in the squad. His side of the backline looks better balanced with him present. However, the very limited game time he's produced means that, if this were to continue, he doesn't represent value in a salary capped sport (trying hard not to make this sound personal). I suppose the coaching staff have to decide if his durability will improve and they have approx. a third of the season to make that decision. The facts that we lost Zak and that the futures of KPP and Bibby are uncertain are both in Iain's favour but I can't see him being anything other than a stop gap next season if he sees out his contract.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Was Thornley just not a signing for this year to allow the development of Hallsall?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:07 pm Was Thornley just not a signing for this year to allow the development of Hallsall?
along those lines, brought in as a steady stop gap player, with Halsall's progression and/or Gildarts return in mind. I'm sure he has another year after this though.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:07 pm Was Thornley just not a signing for this year to allow the development of Hallsall?
Thornley is contracted next season.