O'Neil signs new contract

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Shemtatupu

Re: O'Neil signns new contract

Post by Shemtatupu »

Karl Carpenter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:49 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:39 am Does this means powells already agreed to leave or career threatening injury( hopefully not).We are surely not going into next season with 4 hookers.Glad for brad as hes a good lad and decent player
Loose forward?
Just lost your rhyming structure at the end of that last sentence
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Karl Carpenter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:34 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:29 pm
Loose forward?
Please no.

What is it with people on this forum suggesting position changes.

What does he offer at loose, a position he hasn’t ever played other than some cameo minutes, that Smithies doesn’t?
He’s better with the ball than Smithies and next season Wigan have Leeming and O’Neill on 4 year contracts so where does that leave Tom Forber?
Have you ever watched Powell's passing? He's awful and one of the reasons why he's no good at 9. If he's better then Smithies at passing that doesn't mean he is a solution at 13. If he's been replaced as a 9 then he should have nowhere to go in the team. Peet fitting him in somehow would not surprise though. I also hope this new contract for O'Neil doesn't stop Forber progressing with us based on what others have said about him.
Karl Carpenter

Post by Karl Carpenter »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:28 pm

Please no.

What does he offer at loose, a position he hasn’t ever played other than some cameo minutes, that Smithies doesn’t?
He’s better with the ball than Smithies and next season Wigan have Leeming and O’Neill on 4 year contracts so where does that leave Tom Forber?
Have you ever watched Powell's passing? He's awful and one of the reasons why he's no good at 9. If he's better then Smithies at passing that doesn't mean he is a solution at 13. If he's been replaced as a 9 then he should have nowhere to go in the team. Peet fitting him in somehow would not surprise though. I also hope this new contract for O'Neil doesn't stop Forber progressing with us based on what others have said about him.
I think we’ve got our wires crossed here. When I suggested loose forward I was talking about O’Neill not Powell.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brad O'Neill reacts to his new four-year deal with Wigan Warriors

Brad O’Neill says Wigan Warriors is the only place he wants to be after signing a new four-year deal with the club.

The 20-year-old will now remain at the DW Stadium until at least the end of the 2027 season.

O’Neill, who has started in a Challenge Cup final since breaking into the first team, is delighted to have his future secured.

I’m really happy to get it done, this is the only place I want to be,” he said.

"It’s my hometown club. I’ve always loved Wigan, I’ve been a supporter since being really young.

"Now I’m here and playing, this is where I want to stay.

I’ve got a young family, so having that four-year deal means I’ve got stability and can focus on my rugby.

I’m grateful and it’s good that they’re backing me, it just gives me more confidence to work hard and be myself.

You only get one chance to do this job, and it doesn’t last long, so it’s about taking your chances and embracing everything.

"I’ve been in the first team for three years now and it’s always been a goal of mine to get that starting hooker role.

"Working closely with Pow (Sam Powell) has helped me get to where I am today.

“I’m full of energy all of the time, and I try to bring that enthusiasm to my game- just trying to work hard.

"It’s been about being patient and waiting for my time to come.

"Wigan have always been involved in the big occasions, and they’re the ones I want to play in.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-4216471
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:28 pm

Please no.

Given this 4 year deal and signing Leeming then I can only assume it will.

Unless the club plan to loan him out until Leemings contract is up?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Loose forward?
Please no.

Forber will be around or on loan. Leeming 9, O'Neil reserve, Forber stand by. Should we get an injury in the halves then Leeming could be slotted in there with O'Neil at 9.
Both Leeming and O'Neil have four year deals but Leeming does appear to leave places early.