Forward passes

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Forward passes

Post by Mike »

Shevvylad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:55 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:40 pm
Shevvylad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:20 pm

..but it's impossible to tell a forward pass by watching it on video......

This has got to be the stupidest rule ever imposed. Its probably clearer on video than any other decision a video ref could be asked to make.
It really isn’t.
Well, maybe I exaggerate 😄, but you have multiple angles, pitch markings, grass cutlines and often overhead views ( in bigger games admittedly). Otherwise, no- one can ever really say that they've a forward pass on the telly, which is obviously rubbish...
Should be easy enough with modern player and ball tracking to do it live, or at least as a hawk-eye style challenge. All you have to judge is if the ball is travelling forward slower than the player who passed it at the moment of release. If it is, or is travelling at an equal speed forward then its not a forward pass.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:38 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:13 pm The issue is how you judge momentum? It’s very subjective.

I’d rather they don’t rule forward passes on the video ref - it will end up like football with the VAR which has done more harm than good.
forget momentum forward is forward.The lines dont lie.Just watch were the ball( not player is) when its released and were it’s caught in conjunction with the lines.Its always a big give away
A big give away whether the ball travelled forwards relative to the ground, but nothing to do with whether its a "forward pass" in RL though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:28 am
Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:38 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:13 pm The issue is how you judge momentum? It’s very subjective.

I’d rather they don’t rule forward passes on the video ref - it will end up like football with the VAR which has done more harm than good.
forget momentum forward is forward.The lines dont lie.Just watch were the ball( not player is) when its released and were it’s caught in conjunction with the lines.Its always a big give away
A big give away whether the ball travelled forwards relative to the ground, but nothing to do with whether its a "forward pass" in RL though.
Forward is forward no point complicating such a simple thing.Granted they are gonna get some wrong but the overhead view would clear some up at least
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:16 am
Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:38 pm forget momentum forward is forward.The lines dont lie.Just watch were the ball( not player is) when its released and were it’s caught in conjunction with the lines.Its always a big give away
Forward is forward no point complicating such a simple thing.Granted they are gonna get some wrong but the overhead view would clear some up at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Mm98FZ4_k so the pass at 1:07 you'd rule forward?

The problem is while a pass from a static point (i.e from the ruck) is fine to be judged that way you have to take into account the law of relative motion of a player running at 10-15mph because to even get the ball to stand still relative to the ground you would have to throw the ball 15mph direct backwards

So basically you can pass a ball backward and it travel forward

this is an excellent video to show why you can't simply use the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:31 pm

Great video, thanks for sharing 👍
craigo

Post by craigo »

When a team gets away with throwing a forward pass early in a set, Another tends to follow.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Mm98FZ4_k so the pass at 1:07 you'd rule forward?

The problem is while a pass from a static point (i.e from the ruck) is fine to be judged that way you have to take into account the law of relative motion of a player running at 10-15mph because to even get the ball to stand still relative to the ground you would have to throw the ball 15mph direct backwards

Thanx for the vid pal.The answer is yes ide rule it forward.The ball is behind the line when thrown and in front when its caught.It isnt a mile forward but forward imo
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:02 pm

Thanx for the vid pal.The answer is yes ide rule it forward.The ball is behind the line when thrown and in front when its caught.It isnt a mile forward but forward imo
I apologise i was watching the leeds try v salford then another video appeared
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

craigo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:33 pm When a team gets away with throwing a forward pass early in a set, Another tends to follow.
This is just a hunch .
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

You're making my point for me !
Nobody is suggestion that you use the ground solely, and the video you have linked to shows exactly how by analysing the video, you can judge whether the ball has gone forward or not.