What will Danson do for us?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
craigo

Re: What will Danson do for us?

Post by craigo »

Keep us ticking along nicely. Any change will improve us.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Crossy210 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:53 pm We don’t own the ground at all. It’s still a football club asset not a rugby one. I’d imagine it will be run differently with how it’s used funded etc but warriors don’t own any of it. Far as I’m aware
Danson owns the ground.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Crossy210 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:53 pm We don’t own the ground at all. It’s still a football club asset not a rugby one. I’d imagine it will be run differently with how it’s used funded etc but warriors don’t own any of it. Far as I’m aware
Err, no. It is owned by the owner of the rugby club, who has been investing in us for years.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:11 pm
Err, no. It is owned by the owner of the rugby club, who has been investing in us for years.
Three years!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:56 am I appreciate that this is part of the IL is leaving thread, but felt that it deserved a topic of its own, as the IL one rightly reflects on the past.

Some thoughts from me on what I hope to see:

- we now own our own home again, and can make it ours, choosing when to play, benefiting from the bars and hospitality, having our own signs, and memories…
I am not sure that is true. While Danson owns both clubs I thought the ground is still an asset of Wigan Athletic. As to being able choosing when to play I don't think that follows either. I am pretty sure there are football league rules that say in any shared ground arrangement the soccer takes precedence. I would not be surprised if the pitch needs relaying each year we still have our usual early summer exit with several away games back to back next season.

I think the best we can hope for is the ground is allowed look like our ground for our games ( flags returning etc) and the hospitality sales go the rugby club.
- we can put in place a genuinely world class business structure, including top class talent identification, player retention, marketing, comms, fitness, medical support, a CEO with genuine experience of excellence, and all the other things which mark a best in class organisation;
I'd like to see that as well. IL leaving it all up to Rads has proved a mistake up to now in my opinion. For a while it's looked like IL delegated just about everything to Rads and he's had free reign to decide on things who is retained and player wages. I would hope the new owner and chairman would want more involvement and are not just going to leave Rads to carry on as before. If the bit I highlighted in bold means Rads is replaced by a new CEO, then great IMO.
- we can attract some genuine stars from the NRL, elsewhere in SL and RU (it’s been a while). As I understand it, we only have only filled one marquee spot, and of course we have never used the RU discount.
Depends how much he wants to spend I suppose. Three marquee slots and the rules on the salary cap with respect to signing RU players could give him scope tp spend big but I am not sure he will. We probably have at least one marquee slot used already and I am not sure it's necessarily a good idea to go after RU players just because you can.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Is it? Not what I read before the Huddersfield game.

16:51
A
26 Rll 71%-
WH Wigan Warriors Hospitality
To: Wigan Warriors Hospitality>
10:22
Wigan Warriors Hospitality
We are now entering the second half of the season
starting tomorrow with our home fixture with
Huddersfield Giants and this is followed oy six more
home games in the second half of the season before
we are hopefully part of this years Play Off's.
We are also in the semi final of the Betfred Challenge
Cup when we play Hull KR and our Women's team
take on Leeds Rhinos at Headingly in a double header
on July 23'd. There is hospitality available for that
day and a leaflet is attached
Below are the options for the remaining 2023 games at
the DW Stadium that, since Mike Danson's purchase
of Wigan Athletic and the stadium is now in joint
ownership with Wigan Warriors for the first time. You
Andy Ed
1 HOUR AGO
Charriots Offiah

DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:10 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:56 am I appreciate that this is part of the IL is leaving thread, but felt that it deserved a topic of its own, as the IL one rightly reflects on the past.

Some thoughts from me on what I hope to see:

- we now own our own home again, and can make it ours, choosing when to play, benefiting from the bars and hospitality, having our own signs, and memories…
I am not sure that is true. While Danson owns both clubs I thought the ground is still an asset of Wigan Athletic. As to being able choosing when to play I don't think that follows either. I am pretty sure there are football league rules that say in any shared ground arrangement the soccer takes precedence. I would not be surprised if the pitch needs relaying each year we still have our usual early summer exit with several away games back to back next season.

I think the best we can hope for is the ground is allowed look like our ground for our games ( flags returning etc) and the hospitality sales go the rugby club.
- we can put in place a genuinely world class business structure, including top class talent identification, player retention, marketing, comms, fitness, medical support, a CEO with genuine experience of excellence, and all the other things which mark a best in class organisation;
I'd like to see that as well. IL leaving it all up to Rads has proved a mistake up to now in my opinion. For a while it's looked like IL delegated just about everything to Rads and he's had free reign to decide on things who is retained and player wages. I would hope the new owner and chairman would want more involvement and are not just going to leave Rads to carry on as before. If the bit I highlighted in bold means Rads is replaced by a new CEO, then great IMO.
- we can attract some genuine stars from the NRL, elsewhere in SL and RU (it’s been a while). As I understand it, we only have only filled one marquee spot, and of course we have never used the RU discount.
Depends how much he wants to spend I suppose. Three marquee slots and the rules on the salary cap with respect to signing RU players could give him scope tp spend big but I am not sure he will. We probably have at least one marquee slot used already and I am not sure it's necessarily a good idea to go after RU players just because you can.
Danson has already pledged his financial support, we will have to wait and see which players are now recruited.

Unfortunately, Sodexo has a contract for 11 years, which was agreed by the previous owners of Latics. I suppose that MD has the opportunity to buy them out of the contract if he wishes. Other than that, it would be nice if we could have the flags back and more recognition that the Warriors play at the DW.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that my list was a list of hopes for the future.
As to the ownership of the ground, Danson owns the lot, and so any money from Warriors hospitality is going to him, for him to do with what he likes. Given that his interest in and support for the Warriors pre dates his buying the stadium and the football club, we are clearly in a better place. It’s semantics, but “we” now own the stadium in the sense that our owner owns it. A position we have not been in for a long time.

(Which I think means we score more points in the IMG assessments, though we were never at risk of not being in the top tier there anyway.)
Charriots Offiah

We also have an owner who, like Ian Lenegan, is Warriors through and through.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wondering if the £30m upgrade of Robin Park is still on the cards, each club in their own ground doing their own thing, no interference on when the rugby can't play etc etc