Should Lindsay GO?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Cruncher

Re: Should Lindsay GO?

Post by Cruncher »

There's an awful lot of anti-Mo feeling on various boards at the present time, but I think we ought to take a more balanced view.

Okay, for several years the club was being mismanaged. While everyone else was improving in the SL environment, Wigan were staying still and then, slowly, as Latics appeared to become our owner's main interest, we started to regress. It was mid way through last season before someone at the JJB suddenly seemed to realise that the rugby club wouldn't just take care of itself.

However, look at more recent evidence.

If Brian Noble DOES come to Wigan, then that will be an extraordinary coup by a Wigan board which is still led by Maurice Lindsay.

Noble is one of the best coaches in Britain, if not the best. To lever him away from a top side like Bradford - current champions and near certs to win more silverware this year - and then bring him to Wigan, who have stacks of potential, but are now in a perilous position, would be astonishing. Alright, I accept that there might be other factors involved in Noble's eventual decision, but as fans we couldn't really ask more of our boss than that he go out and recruit one of the most successful coaches in the SL era. And that only a few months after he recruited one of the other most successful coaches in the SL era.

Whatever happened under Millward to make things go so wrong - and I doubt the full truth will ever come out, though all sorts of ugly rumours are now circulating - you could argue that in originally signing him, and then, when that didn't work out, getting rid and moving on to another of the top guys in the game, Mo is doing everything in his power to put Wigan back at the top.

People are sneering at the signings of Wilkes and James, but Wigan can't just go out and buy all the best players any more. That era's gone. They CAN go for the best coaches, though, and if Noble comes, that'll surely prove that Mo still has our best interests at heart.

I think he and Whelan took their eyes off the ball to an alarming extent over the last few years. Now, however, I reckon they're doing everything in their power to repair the damage. Maybe we should cut them some slack. At the end of the day, what's the alternative?
Stan Doff

Post by Stan Doff »

everyone seems to be forgetting though that Brian Noble will be out of work at the end of this season. Bradford have his replacement in place (thats called forward planning Mo please take note).
So in reality he is swapping what would probably be a few succesful months for a new contract with all the accompanying headaches that come free of charge at the JJB.
If it works out he is a hero to us and set up perfectly with a fantastic CV to chase a job in aus.
If it doesn't he will get a healthy pay off from Mr Whelan when he gets sacked and can turn round and say it was an impossible task.

It must be a no brainer of a decision surely.
Stan Doff

Post by Stan Doff »

actually thinking about it. Is there another chairman anywhere in the world of sport who does not own the club yet has been shown so much patience by the man that does?

Serious question not another poke at Mo (he is my favourite diddy man after all).
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Stan Doff posted:
everyone seems to be forgetting though that Brian Noble will be out of work at the end of this season. Bradford have his replacement in place (thats called forward planning Mo please take note).
So in reality he is swapping what would probably be a few succesful months for a new contract with all the accompanying headaches that come free of charge at the JJB.
If it works out he is a hero to us and set up perfectly with a fantastic CV to chase a job in aus.
If it doesn't he will get a healthy pay off from Mr Whelan when he gets sacked and can turn round and say it was an impossible task.

It must be a no brainer of a decision surely.
I agree with this, though I thought Noble had another season on his deal at the Bulls. Initially, I wondered why on earth he would come here, but it then dawned on me it is indeed a no brainer.

Although I think we will lose again tomorrow, thereby making survival our only option you never know. We are 6 points off a playoff place. Who's to say we can't have a fully fit squad at the business end of the season?

There are rumours of players leaving the club and rumours of Vagana and Langley coming. If we scrape into the top 6 and have a set of forwards comprising Vagana, Feca, Logan, Seu Seu, Hargreaves, Higham, Godwin, Fletcher, Hansen, Langley and Lockers, whilst other teams could have injuries at the wrong end of the season, then who knows what could be possible? :roll:
Stan Doff

Post by Stan Doff »

If someone could wave a magic wand and give us a fully fit squad from now I would happily bet on our making the playoffs.
The trouble we have is that time does not stand still.
We need to keep the gap to a minimum whilst we have not got a fully fit squad or anywhere near it.
Our form will return... I for one bet it is around the same time as some of our players do!
backin2006

Post by backin2006 »

no maurice shouldnt go whealan s the 1 who should sell because hes put no money into us all hes interested in is latics .whealan out whealan out
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

backin2006 posted:
no maurice shouldnt go whealan s the 1 who should sell because hes put no money into us all hes interested in is latics .whealan out whealan out
only saving the club from extinction when we had no money and nothing to fall back on. who was there to help, but whelan!
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

backin2006 posted:
You mean the £11 million he promised to redevelop CP, that was refused by Robinson, or all he spent in buying up 90% of the shares in the club, and the £28 million he spent on the JJB. Plus paying off the coaches we sack every year.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Ah yes, but apart from that, what has he ever done for us? :eusa17:
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

GeoffN posted:
backin2006 posted:
You mean the £11 million he promised to redevelop CP, that was refused by Robinson, or all he spent in buying up 90% of the shares in the club, and the £28 million he spent on the JJB. Plus paying off the coaches we sack every year.
geoff some people just dont know there hitory send them all back to school :lol: :wink:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME