paul johnson anyone?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LooseHead

Re: paul johnson anyone?

Post by LooseHead »

Johnson's performances for GB in whichever position he's been selected show a couple of things that we're crying out for; tough defence and good support play. When you consider some of the money the club is pumping into some players who cant do either let alone both of the above I think buying Johnson back is perfect sense.
stacey c

Post by stacey c »

agree totally! I do think Noble has brought the best out of him and maybe he thinks he can continue this or improve him more. Fingers crossed.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

GeoffN posted:
He's a decent utility player, a bit like Stephen Wild, but I don't think he's worth using a 20/20 spot for, even though we're crying out for a centre.
Unless it's a short-term deal just for the rest of the season.
But isn't he a current GB player? How can he not be worth a 20/20 slot to a team in our predicament? At the moment he is a better back than DV, PR, KB and all the kids including Ashton and is a better back row forward than anything we have barring Lockers and Fletcher. :conf:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

One thing the squad does lack are multi positional players like Johnson. Personally, I thought he was an excellent player and it was a mistake to let him go.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

He's strong, fast and scores tries....hmmm best leave him at bradford then....

I just thought of a Wigan Chant:

"Who needs Paul J when weve got Davy V!!!!"

I suppose its getting late, I should really go to bed!!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

jinkin jimmy posted:
GeoffN posted:
He's a decent utility player, a bit like Stephen Wild, but I don't think he's worth using a 20/20 spot for, even though we're crying out for a centre.
Unless it's a short-term deal just for the rest of the season.
But isn't he a current GB player? How can he not be worth a 20/20 slot to a team in our predicament? At the moment he is a better back than DV, PR, KB and all the kids including Ashton and is a better back row forward than anything we have barring Lockers and Fletcher. :conf:
To a team in our predicament, yes, which is why I said he'd be a good addition for the rest of this season. For next season, there are lots of better centres around than him, and bolstering the second row is way down the priority list.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

I just watched the in a league of thier own behinds the try nations.

He played very well and i think id like to see him in Cherry and white, possibly swap Vaeliki for Hape 2 :)
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Does anyone really think that Bradford would weaken their squad whilst they are still in the Cup? We couldn't play him because he is cup-tied. I may be wrong, but I can't see Bradford releasing any players as long as they are still in the Cup. If they get knocked out, then it could be a different matter.
To get knocked out early would be financial disaster for Bradford and reminds me very much of our Cup defeat at Salford in 1996. That led to the sale of Central Park and the return, subsequently of Little Mo and, as they say, the rest is history. I do feel though that the future is brighter for us, but I repeat, I can't see any players joining us as long as their present Club is still involved in the Challenge Cup.
Paul Cullen's eaten my dictionary!
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

pie eaters posted:
We will not sign any players, including Bradford players until the end of the season when teams can then sign new players to replace them.
Unless Bradford's oft-quoted money problems are real and immediate. Don't discount that possibility.

That's what got us Noble, after all.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Do we even need new players mid-way through the season? Im happy at what we've got, the team just needed that confidence and leadership. We may perhaps have the 3rd/4th best squad in SL at the moment on paper.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame