Rumour

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dawber

Re: Rumour

Post by Dawber »

First of all "surprise surprise" Primrose and blue is back, I still think the guy talks a lot of c--p, Anyway enough about bottoms, If the super league do this i would rather they announced it sooner rather than later for some of the reasons that have been mentioned on this board.
A) i think it would give teams a chance to relax knowikng the threat of relegation had been lifted, ie a better team performance from ourselves,
B) The likes of Stains ect would probably lose around a 1/4 of a million pound a year in revenue,
C) An all round better playing field just playing each other twice a year, and as WG has just mentioned a better chance for the GB squad.
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

I forgot to add that personally i think we will come good as a team and therefore not be relegated, I would still like the threat of relegation to be abolished as it is in Australia, Just look at South Sydney they struggle every week but still keep plugging away trying to build year in year out.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

medlocke posted:
this is something i am keen on happening sooner than later, it will add more variety to the game also extra revenue for the clubs...
Just the opposite. 4 of our "extra" games this season are against Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford and Hull. Do you really think we'd get better crowds playing, say, Leigh and Whitehaven home & away instead?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

ChrisA posted:
A rumour has been posted that a few people seem to have heard.
The rumour is that the RFL are thinking of turning the Super League into a 14 team competition.

A few points though about this

1. I for one have been calling for this for years, it creates a very balanced league, by that I mean every team play every other twice, and twice only. It's the same for every team, one home and one away fixture, it creates a level playing field. The current 12 teams would stay in the league, and two teams would be promoted from NL1.

2. If this is true, is it because the RFL beleive it's for the good of the game ? or is it because they know that having Wigan in SL is even better for the game ?

Discuss
If this was implemented then there'd be two less rounds per normal season (i.e. prior to play-offs) which SKY wouldn't be too pleased about losing I wouldn't have thought.

Plus, SKY and the RFL have a contract bound until the end of the 2008 season (if my memory serves me) so even if they agreed to less rounds each club would suffer from having to share the money between more clubs. This decision would need to be agreed by all club chairmen and I personally think the clubs would prefer the SKY money above the extra gate receipt they would get against Wigan.