Football fans @ Quins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Football fans @ Quins

Post by GeoffN »

The_Bad_Guy posted:
come on geoff for the first time in 40 years we honestly had the team to win it
No we didn't. We lost.

was the BIGGEST sportin event in 40 years no doubt
I still don't see how a quarter-final can be the biggest sporting event etc...
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

The_Bad_Guy posted:
we did have the team to win it geoff look on paper prob the best balanced team in tourney

and it is the tourney not the quarter that was the biggest event.

we could have done it so close

nice try anyway lads
Yeah, but I'm not complaining about the tournament as a whole, just yesterday's game, and the disloyal Wigan fans who turned their backs on their team to watch it on TV.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

The_Bad_Guy posted:
we did have the team to win it geoff look on paper prob the best balanced team in tourney
Those paper teams get everywhere. Can someone not start up a sport for all these paper teams to compete in, they're obviously not much cop at trying to play with real teams...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

GeoffN posted:
Martin WWRFL posted:
the biggest sporting event in 40 yrs or so...
Hardly that. If it had been the final, then maybe you'd have a case.
Even then, it's not as important as the Olympics, which is a truly global event and for which people put in far more effort for a fraction of the ludicrous amounts of money handed out to overpampered soccer players.

I've not idea why people consider the World Cup the biggest in 40 years? What made it different to the World Cup 4 years ago, or every 4 years before that, apart from the relentless media hype that's been attached to the whole thing? The only difference I've seen is that the travelling fans have generally been better behaved this time than for a long time (a shame the fans at home couldn't have behaved themselves in Bolton and on Jersey). The England team was no better or worse-placed this time than any other time to succeed, they have still failed to beat the other contenders for being best in the world.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

ancientandloyal posted;
What an absolute disgrace!!!!
No what is a disgrace is your inability to let peope sped their tme and money how they wish!
The most important game of our season
This has been said on many occaisions so far this year, why was this match any more imprtant than next week and any other Wakey match for that matter.
The best thing at least was when england got kncked out,
Pathetic!
This statement says more about you and the parochial nature of the RL fan IMO and only serves the game in a poor light to all true sports fans.
If you are in London to watch Wigan, watch wigan...
If I'm in London I'll do as please without any orders from you!
dont make an embarrasement of yourselves and rugby league by turning your back and watching a rival viewing sport.
Don't tell this to the players as they all have interests in other sports with a particular preference fo soccer!

The only person embarrassing themselves is you with you bigoted view on anything not RL. You have no comprehension of what a sports fan is.

You could have follwed the RL, witnessed the dramtic exit of your country alongside 10's of millions others from the largest tournement on the globe and had an earpiece to a radio and follwed Murray at Wimbledon.

But no you decide to ignore all these oppurtunities so you could concentrate your energies on booing fellow Wigan supporters who had travelled to enjoy the sporting day and I dare say that these people were probably watching the rugby while you were watching them.

Now define pathetic.
wigan_lad_wigan

Post by wigan_lad_wigan »

So the fans aren't allowed to watch what would have been our country in another dramatic penalty shoot out? i travvelled to london and so if i wanted to miss aorund 3 mins of the match, then i'd do that, when the wigan fans began to boo i just laughed, i don't care what happens but i feel that the unloyal fans booed their own supporters, am i right? feel free to correct me!
WE R STAYIN UP!!!
Robbo87

Post by Robbo87 »

well said dave!....
Martin WWRFL

Post by Martin WWRFL »

the people who watched the penalties did'nt exactly miss the rugby. they watched the most important part of both games
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Doveoverdave posted:
ancientandloyal posted;
The best thing at least was when england got kncked out,
Pathetic!
This statement says more about you and the parochial nature of the RL fan IMO and only serves the game in a poor light to all true sports fans.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of what you are saying - people are free to spend their time and money how they want, and I don't think any Wigan fan can be considered disloyal given the size of our support this season - I suspect that the characteristics of "the parochial nature of the RL fan" that you mention here would be the same if the roles were reversed. Did we see a big upsurge in interest from the average sports fan in the last RL World Cup when England got through to the semi-final? No, we got the same lack of interest as usual, the only saving grace being that reports of the humiliation against the Kiwis (the only time I've ever done the Wigan Walk at a game!) only took up a page in the newspapers at most. We didn't get blanket coverage in the news and internet, 10 pages a day in the newspapers, paparazzi following the wives and girlfriends of the England RL team around the country... and this was all on our own soil instead of another country. When I tell people that I prefer RL to soccer, I often get a comment about Johnny Wilkinson in return, so ignorant are many people of our sport.

Whilst soccer is the most popular game around, people should not be considered not sports fans if they are not interested in the World Cup. I've got more interest in Wimbledon than the football, for example, and was keeping aware of another England team's abject failure to win a game of cricket. I'm still a sports fan, just of different sports.

[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Martin WWRFL posted:
the people who watched the penalties did'nt exactly miss the rugby. they watched the most important part of both games
That's their choice, fair enough - it's the concept of "support" than you seem to be confused with.
At a live game, the players can see and hear the crowd, and wandering off because they'd rather do something else does not constitute support - just the opposite.