Joe lydon longest drop goal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CherryandWhiteandProud

Re: Joe lydon longest drop...

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

Yes joe Lydon was one of only two players to win the Lance Todd Trophy, Harry Sunderland Trophy, and the Man of Steel. George Nicholls was the other one.
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

Doug Stand posted:
I have the lasting memory of Hanley squaring up to Les Boyd. If anyone has the 89 CC final programme I think there's a picture of it in there... Hanley was taking no nonsense that day!
I have a copy of that semi-final programme with an autograph of the fore-mentioned legend.. and the Warrington team too, the legend being Les Boyd not Ellery Hanley! :lol:

I still have flash backs to that day. It was such ashame that two poor teams Widnes and Saints managed to avoid playing the two best teams in the semi's that season.
That Warrington 1989 team had the best pack I have ever seen in the modern era of RL..Boyd, Tamati, Roach, Stephenson, Jackson, Gregory. and at halfbacks the Blake and Woods.

The scores were locked at 4 a piece for a long time in that game. The reason Warrington lost to you on that day was because Warrington couldn't secure the release of our best halfback, Phil Blake and our most consistant forward Les Stephenson for that game (Keith Holden broken leg).
Some of you might remember they came and spelled with Wigan the season after because...

Following the 1988/89 season Warrington had a change of policy and refused to sign Aussies on short term deals.
So we raided New Zealand and the Welsh RFU instead!
ellery

Post by ellery »

We beat a great Wire side with a wonder DG and an Edwards try. But it was the goal that broke Warrington hearts and spirit. I always felt that if we had lost that Warrington would have gone on to greater things. I wonder if Joe is available for the 9th Feb! :lol:
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

i just thought he had missed touch with a mile ,how embarasing
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

primrose-n-blue posted:
Doug Stand posted:
I have the lasting memory of Hanley squaring up to Les Boyd. If anyone has the 89 CC final programme I think there's a picture of it in there... Hanley was taking no nonsense that day!
I have a copy of that semi-final programme with an autograph of the fore-mentioned legend.. and the Warrington team too, the legend being Les Boyd not Ellery Hanley!

I still have flash backs to that day. It was such ashame that two poor teams Widnes and Saints managed to avoid playing the two best teams in the semi's that season.
That Warrington 1989 team had the best pack I have ever seen in the modern era of RL..Boyd, Tamati, Roach, Stephenson, Jackson, Gregory. and at halfbacks the Blake and Woods.

The scores were locked at 4 a piece for a long time in that game. The reason Warrington lost to you on that day was because Warrington couldn't secure the release of our best halfback, Phil Blake and our most consistant forward Les Stephenson for that game (Keith Holden broken leg).
Some of you might remember they came and spelled with Wigan the season after because...

Following the 1988/89 season Warrington had a change of policy and refused to sign Aussies on short term deals.
So we raided New Zealand and the Welsh RFU instead!
WHOS Les stethenson???? do you mean davidson the aussie who came over with Blake?

You are right about Boyd being a legend but not for is rugby skill just his thuggery.It was the hardest and dirtiest pack and it did bring back the biff,some of the games were like street fights . It was one way of beating us and that team had as good a record as anyone against us but not in the important games . :wink:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:lol: Les Stevenson :)

One of my favourite matches it the Regal Trophy Final at Bolton between Wigan and Warrington when Boyd faced Ian Roberts and realised the game had gone to a new level. Roberts just kept knocking him down and taunting him even though he had required stutiches in his moyth from a Boyd cheap shot. I personally believe Boyd was racist. Yes, he was a thug v most players BUT he was worse when facing Gilly and Ellery.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Phil Blake is one of my favourite players ever. he signed for Wigan and played full back. Such a silky, classy talent. Glided across the pitch, wonderful balance, sublime chip an regather.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Botica was just class at kicking! Yes he wasnt the best tackler or the best at positional play but he certainly was in the top 3 of his time in his position... All the times he stood in front of me at central park at the sidelines beforea kick (used to sit on wall)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Botica was just class at kicking! Yes he wasnt the best tackler or the best at positional play but he certainly was in the top 3 of his time in his position... All the times he stood in front of me at central park at the sidelines beforea kick (used to sit on wall)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

Les Stephenson...LOL! I can't believe I made such a clanger!! Les Davidson. Couldn't imagine that Stevo would let any of his sibblings play for Warrington, he has a long memory. As Warrington dumped a very good Dewsbury side out in a Challenge Cup semi!