Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Catalans Dragons v Wigan W...

Post by DaveO »

Sutty wrote:but if he didn't have such a bad match this week, how can the point be that his poor performances are wearing thin?

What is wearing thin is the constant negativity and whining of a lot of people on this board, we've got some of the most fickle fans in the league.
Sorry but that is rubbish. If we were fickle we would not be here and would not give a toss.
If we were all asked at the start of the season, if we would have been happy with finishing in 3rd or 4th place at the end of the season, I suspect the vast majority would have said yes. Yet now when we are playing like a 4th placed team everyone is complaining.
They keep going on about consistency and this that and the other, yet how many teams outside the top two or possibly three have been consistent this year or in past years? The consistent teams finish top, the less consistent vie for places from 3rd or 4th down depending on playing staff and their teams results. If we were consistent we would probably finish in the top two teams in the league,
Isn't that the objective? Are we any nearer to achieving it? You say next we are improving. We got further in the cup last year than this. The league and GF is to play for still but I am not confident of a semi final appearance in that competition either based on what I see.
Just to go off on a tangent, but it's sort of relevant in this case. I went to see a sports psychologist about my golf game and he said that I probably get home from a round of golf and replay the whole round over again in my head, he was correct, I do, as do nearly all golfers.
His advice was that I just pick out the three best shots of my round and replay them over and over in my head.
And what is this particular psychological technique known as? The head the sand approach? Quite appropriate for golf with its bunkers...

So are you expecting to improve by ignoring your faults as a golfer? Will Wigan if they ignore theirs?
If I do this after each round, this will eventually lead to greater confidence and (hopefully) an improved game. There was also a lot more stuff that he said but I'll not bore you with that now.

In the case of us as fans of Wigan, should we not concentrate on the better parts of our games? ie, Feka running 60 metres at Leeds, Phelps scoring a good mid range try at Catalans, Richards scored a good try from a good build up, but hardly anyone has mentioned this. If we do concentrate on the positive aspects of the team and its performances, then we may actually realise that we possibly aren't playing quite as bad as some on this board seem to think we are doing.
But you see, ultimately we are not playing very well. That is why we lost to Les Cats home and away and have a negative points difference. Phelps took his try well so if I look at that as a positive does this mean we aren't quite as bad as the result suggests? I don't think so.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nine wrote:Thank goodness for a breath of fresh air and common sense from Sutty and A To B
I can only hope Noble isn't as "(common) sensible" as Sutty.
Sutty said take a break, Cruncher memorably said put a sock in it. To cpwigan I say: you’re right – Wigan fans are educated and discerning and know the difference between quality RL and garbage. That’s why I think most of us aren’t in the negative spiral you are. We recognise the improvements we have had in the past couple of years, see the quality in our side and enjoy watching them despite some frustrations and reservations. Let’s have a sense of perspective.
What does the bit in bold actually mean? Does it mean for example that a lot of the tries we have conceded this season that can only be described as soft, shows our defence is no worse than other mid table teams? Does it mean the fact Wire haven't been a great deal better than us or are even worse is OK given we are on the same points?

At the and of the day I just think several posters are too easily pleased.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AncientWarrior wrote:Wigan fans seem to think we have a divine right to beat everyone in the game and score 50 points in the process.
This comment (often made) and the one by El Bobbers about past glories really are far form the truth. No one thinks we have a divine right to win never mind by 50 points, I guarantee it.

I can't understand why anyone can believe people think this way.

I never thought that when we were at out best in the 80's and 90's never mind now. I never thought Widnes, Saints or Wire were forgone conclusions or we would score 50 points on them. Anyone who was there at that time was a twit if they did. And if you look at the majority of the results against the top teams of the day we had some very close encounters.

So why anyone would think this now I can't fathom.

Dave

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

You really need to get out more Dave. I suppose in hindsight I should have known that what I thought was a sensible post would have been dissected sentence by sentence and then re quoted by your good self, when either trying to prove a point to yourself or some of the others on here.

It's no wonder I don't often bother posting my thoughts on here, because you always have to write your version of War and Peace just to get your points across. No matter how relevant it may or may not be. Sorry for having my own opinions and sorry you couldn't see things from someone elses point of view for once. :conf:

the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

Sutty wrote:You really need to get out more Dave. I suppose in hindsight I should have known that what I thought was a sensible post would have been dissected sentence by sentence and then re quoted by your good self, when either trying to prove a point to yourself or some of the others on here.

It's no wonder I don't often bother posting my thoughts on here, because you always have to write your version of War and Peace just to get your points across. No matter how relevant it may or may not be. Sorry for having my own opinions and sorry you couldn't see things from someone elses point of view for once. :conf:

agreed.
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

pedro

Post by pedro »

I agree with you to Dave
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

DaveO wrote:
AncientWarrior wrote:Wigan fans seem to think we have a divine right to beat everyone in the game and score 50 points in the process.
This comment (often made) and the one by El Bobbers about past glories really are far form the truth. No one thinks we have a divine right to win never mind by 50 points, I guarantee it.

I can't understand why anyone can believe people think this way.

I never thought that when we were at out best in the 80's and 90's never mind now. I never thought Widnes, Saints or Wire were forgone conclusions or we would score 50 points on them. Anyone who was there at that time was a twit if they did. And if you look at the majority of the results against the top teams of the day we had some very close encounters.

So why anyone would think this now I can't fathom.

Dave
I never said we had a divine right but if you believe peoples impatience isn't influenced by past success then you must be naive.

Peoples opinions and feelings change from minute to the next. A lot of people seem to have had a change of heart re Nobby just after the Les Cats game and a lot of people moaned plenty of times that Calders runs sideways more than he does forwards. But now more people are angry that he is leaving than are not.

Sadly, as hard as it is for you to believe not everybody has the same level headed straight thinking mind as you. How many people lost interest when Wigan stopped winning? These people known as "glory Hunters" who hover around every sport? I even heard stories of people not going to games anymore purely because we moved to the JJB.
DaveO wrote:
Just to go off on a tangent, but it's sort of relevant in this case. I went to see a sports psychologist about my golf game and he said that I probably get home from a round of golf and replay the whole round over again in my head, he was correct, I do, as do nearly all golfers.
His advice was that I just pick out the three best shots of my round and replay them over and over in my head.
And what is this particular psychological technique known as? The head the sand approach? Quite appropriate for golf with its bunkers...

So are you expecting to improve by ignoring your faults as a golfer? Will Wigan if they ignore theirs?
If I do this after each round, this will eventually lead to greater confidence and (hopefully) an improved game. There was also a lot more stuff that he said but I'll not bore you with that now.

In the case of us as fans of Wigan, should we not concentrate on the better parts of our games? ie, Feka running 60 metres at Leeds, Phelps scoring a good mid range try at Catalans, Richards scored a good try from a good build up, but hardly anyone has mentioned this. If we do concentrate on the positive aspects of the team and its performances, then we may actually realise that we possibly aren't playing quite as bad as some on this board seem to think we are doing.
But you see, ultimately we are not playing very well. That is why we lost to Les Cats home and away and have a negative points difference. Phelps took his try well so if I look at that as a positive does this mean we aren't quite as bad as the result suggests? I don't think so.

Dave
I suppose as a sports psycologist you are qualified to dismiss Sutty's suggestion so quickly?

I think the idea is that if in your mind you focus on positive things then you will build your own confidence. This does not mean you ignore your faults. Do you think Lewis Hamilton will be thinking about his crash in Canada or something more positive when he races on Sunday?

I can only hope Noble isn't as "(common) sensible" as Sutty.
How arrogant. I didn't think such comments were part of this board?
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

butt monkey wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Cats also signed Steve Bell earlier this week.
A 32 years old centre! Now there would have been "some" (although I speculate it would have been considerably more) berating of the managership and running or the club IF Wigan had signed him, wouldn't there?
Nothing wrong with his age, just the fact he always cuts inside al a Colbon. Scary thought is he actually got selected for Origin. Mind you so did Ainscough.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:eusa9: Let's stop with the name calling folks

:) We are going to beat Cas
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cpwigan wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Cats also signed Steve Bell earlier this week.
A 32 years old centre! Now there would have been "some" (although I speculate it would have been considerably more) berating of the managership and running or the club IF Wigan had signed him, wouldn't there?
Nothing wrong with his age, just the fact he always cuts inside al a Colbon. Scary thought is he actually got selected for Origin. Mind you so did Ainscough.
I remember the "great" Peter Wilson, who used to write for the Daily Star (when its RL coverage was good!). At that time, Wigan had taken Phil Blake and Les Davison on a short-term loan from Souths to cover for, if I can remember correctly, Kevin Iro and Adrian Shelford playing for the Kiwis on a proper tour (oh how I miss those!!!).

In his article, Peter ridiculed Leigh for signing Mike Blake - Phil's unheralded brother. Peter went on to say "they may as well have signed Skippy". His point (as you have said also regarding Jamie Ainscough), is that just because they are Australian - it doesn't make them all "World Beaters".
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!