Gareth Thomas

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Gareth Thomas

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal wrote: seems like a shrewd move it's not everyday you get publicity in a hollywood film if it comes to it. Wigan should i assume be mentioned at the end of it all confirming Thomas as a 'legend'.
How does playing in Wigan reserves for a season confirm legendary status on anyone?

Will you be happy that Thomas gets picked for the 1st team so the film can confirm his legendary status and have a happy ending?

You are probably right we might get a mention at the end of the film because his sporting career is all about RU. Blink and you will miss it.

The trouble is we will have to have him in the side for a full year for our few seconds of fame. And I reckon he WILL get picked for PR reasons not on playing ability because otherwise it is a waste of time all round from the PR viewpoint.

Then when we do get a mention, right at the end, what benefits do we get? This is not going to be a hollywood blockbuster and even it it were we will get as much PR as the British Army got in Saving Private Ryan.
I'd give Jim Carey a contract if it meant that sort of exposure.
No you wouldn't and you know it. It is the most stupid reason to sign anyone. Good PR comes from signing great players in their prime not players who should retire as a blatant PR exercise, which everyone can see this is all it is. The fact the only reason we can have signed him is for PR can be spotted a mile off so it's instantly devalued anyway.

God knows why IL thought there could be anything positive in this signing.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Morph wrote:Is it actually confirmed that we have signed him?
Not officially by the club, that's why it's still in the 'Rumour' section!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I honestly can't see why people are so frustrated about this signing.
1, There's no transfer fee
2, He'll not count on the salary cap, as the RFL pay his wages
3, It's just another player who can be used as back up if we're crippled with injuries

If fans think that he'll get picked because of his name and what he's achieved in RU, have they taken no notice at all as to what Madge and Wane have done over the last 2 years?
I can't remember any player getting much game time on reputation alone, since Madge and Wane were installed as first team coaches.
He's not even arrived yet and he's getting stick from all quarters. Just let him get to the club and then we'll see what happens. If he's getting picked before other, better centres then we'll have cause for concern, but I honestly don't think he will.
At Wigan, he's at the biggest club in Superleague, one of the most prestigious clubs in the World and if he can't, along with our great marketing dept, spread the word and promote the game to the RU masses, then I don't know who can.

Just chill out a bit and see what happens before getting on your high horses

Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

DaveO wrote:Good PR comes from signing great players in their prime not players who should retire as a blatant PR exercise, which everyone can see this is all it is.
Many of the people you are speaking on behalf of have a more open mind, and have more faith in our Chairman and coaching staff than you Dave.
DaveO wrote:The fact the only reason we can have signed him is for PR can be spotted a mile off so it's instantly devalued anyway.
When was it confirmed that he had signed as part of a PR excercise?
DaveO wrote:God knows why IL thought there could be anything positive in this signing.
Perhaps someone has let it slip to IL what the future plans of the club are.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Personally i dont want thomas at Wigan he's too old and can't play rugby league to a good enough level for 'wigan'. Just that I can see that it could be a good PR exercise. He has signed with Wigan the biggest name in the game
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Shaun1967 wrote:
DaveO wrote:Good PR comes from signing great players in their prime not players who should retire as a blatant PR exercise, which everyone can see this is all it is.
Many of the people you are speaking on behalf of have a more open mind, and have more faith in our Chairman and coaching staff than you Dave.
I am not speaking on behalf of anyone but myself expressing my own opinion.

And where does faith come into it? Isn't that a euphemism for IL is always right?

IL is not perfect (see Pryce who he said was world class) and so while it is obviously true IL has done a great job with 99% of what he has done when faced with signing a 37 year old player I think everyone should be questioning the signing not showing blind faith. Why? because that is the common sense reaction and people should trust their own knowledge of the game and players. You don't need to have a great understanding of the sport to conclude at 37 (38 soon I think) Thomas should retire.
DaveO wrote:The fact the only reason we can have signed him is for PR can be spotted a mile off so it's instantly devalued anyway.
When was it confirmed that he had signed as part of a PR excercise?
That has been the justification put forward for his signing during this discussion by A&L and others. A&L never mentioned playing ability once and I was replying to his post.
DaveO wrote:God knows why IL thought there could be anything positive in this signing.
Perhaps someone has let it slip to IL what the future plans of the club are.
Wigan to switch to RU? :lol:
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Sorry but i think this is a great PR stunt, and would think the RL had something to do with it.

He's one of the most famous names in Rugby Union, there's a major film to be made of his life and he's a friend of the royals.

Its all good publicity for Wigan and Rugby League and is better than him going back to union.

He will be a great representative for Wigan and if we ever look at any union players, who better to send to meet them.

I doubt he'll play in super league, but i bet he's a great help for up and coming centres, Joel included.

After the royal wedding he was one of the first to be interviewed by the BBC on worldwidwe TV. Nice if had said "Gareth Thomas - Wigan Warriors"

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

First Try Tickle wrote:Sorry but i think this is a great PR stunt, and would think the RL had something to do with it.

He's one of the most famous names in Rugby Union, there's a major film to be made of his life and he's a friend of the royals.

Its all good publicity for Wigan and Rugby League and is better than him going back to union.

He will be a great representative for Wigan and if we ever look at any union players, who better to send to meet them.

I doubt he'll play in super league, but i bet he's a great help for up and coming centres, Joel included.

After the royal wedding he was one of the first to be interviewed by the BBC on worldwidwe TV. Nice if had said "Gareth Thomas - Wigan Warriors"

I totally agree about the PR promotion as you rightly say FTT.

However, Gareth Thomas was a winger in Rugby Union, with both his playing position and his sport nothing like what centres play in Rugby League.

Maybe its just me in my twisted hatred of Rugby Union, but this bloke is not, and never would be good enough to teach players like Joel Tomkins who are way way ahead of his ability.
I know I sound negative but all this bloke is good for in RL is PR.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

DaveO wrote:I am not speaking on behalf of anyone but myself expressing my own opinion.

And where does faith come into it? Isn't that a euphemism for IL is always right?

IL is not perfect (see Pryce who he said was world class) and so while it is obviously true IL has done a great job with 99% of what he has done when faced with signing a 37 year old player I think everyone should be questioning the signing not showing blind faith.
When you say that "everyone can see this" as a blatant PR excercise you are telling other's what we can see. You are wrong. Not everyone sees it like this.

To get from "having faith in our chairman" to "IL is always right" shows an inability to interpret other people's views.

Read back through people's posts and you will see that the majority of people on here have questioned the signing.
Just in case you misinterpreted my earlier post as well, I personally questioned whether it was being made with a view to what he could do for the club off the pitch on a longer term basis. I also stated that if he was being signed simply as a player then I think it is a bad signing.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
OJ

Post by OJ »

Shaun1967 wrote:The new coach together with input from Madge has been responsible for identifying the players he wants for next season.

One of the main reasons for our success has been the strength of our off field signings as much as any player we have signed. It doesn't take much for people to question Lenegan's judgement does it?
You are wrong. I am not questioning Ian Leneghan's judgement for one minute, he has made some brilliant choices with personnel but the prospective signing of Gareth Thomas does seem odd to more than not just the likes of me. My concern is just on the assumption that if Shaun Wane is going to be the next coach that he isn't put in an awkward or embarrassing position, we'll just have to wait and see as there must be some good reason behind the decision to sign Thomas if it proves to be true.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.