Gelling / Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
highland convert

Re: Gelling / Thornley

Post by highland convert »

Sorry but here I go again. Seen Thornley play. Reminded me of Pryce. Lethargic is the word. Gelling has a far better work ethic.it was obvious Carmont was not interested in his winger. I liked Powell and Hughes.
Seinfeld79

Post by Seinfeld79 »

And he can't catch a high kick either :wink:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

highland convert wrote:Sorry but here I go again. Seen Thornley play. Reminded me of Pryce. Lethargic is the word. Gelling has a far better work ethic.it was obvious Carmont was not interested in his winger. I liked Powell and Hughes.
I think your TV screen might need a wipe Jim! :)
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

highland convert wrote:Sorry but here I go again. Seen Thornley play. Reminded me of Pryce. Lethargic is the word. Gelling has a far better work ethic.it was obvious Carmont was not interested in his winger. I liked Powell and Hughes.
No comment.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
No comment.
I will reserve my judgement till iv seen then both play when im actualy at a game as the tv doesnt give you the full picture after all

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Be careful God last time I said something controversial (......is this a joke? Was what I actually said in response to an opening post by you know who) I was slammed and locked up!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

God wrote:Pryce vs Thornley......really? People pissing and moaning about Fielden not being value for money. Yet we have got the biggest waste of money for the past 10 years being mentioned in the same breath as a 20 year old lad who has shown more guts and determination than Pryce had ever shown in his 3 years at the club.

Whats this sodding forum coming too?
Agree 100% with you, God - so many negatives now on here, but they will always claim this & that, and freedom of speech, etc ! Pryce at Wigan should never have happened, simple.
And give our young stars a chance, talent will out at the end.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

FFS No comment
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Matthew wrote:
FFS No comment
That is a comment.
I can only go on what was shown on tv and that was a lot of standing about. I preferred Gelling's work ethic going on what I saw. Simple but true. And yes it reminded me of Pryce. I never compared ability. Ok he was out of position but and maybe a bit of a lost sheep but I can only comment on the position in which he is playing. Jim
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Jim, I can tell that you never go to games because your views are far too one dimensional.
If you had been at the game, you would have seen far more than is shown on Sky. The fact that Thornley wasn't often caught out of position, apart from the Hull 1st try when he hung back and didn't put any pressure on the attacker.
Both Gelling and Thornley are very young and are very new to our first team. Both of them have shown more interest than Pryce ever did, even in the small amount of games that they've played.
Gelling had started to make quite a few errors, so he was replaced by Thornley. Sorry, but that's just the way that sport is, if you don't perform someone else will be given a chance.
In the long run, it wont have done Gelling and Thornley any harm at all to have an extended run in the first team, whilst Pat is out injured.
To conclude, Thornley and Gelling are already twice the player that Pryce ever was in a Wigan shirt. Pryce never, ever lived up to his potential and often seemed scared and uninterested. It takes a certain type of person to make it in such a tough, physical sport. I don't think that Pryce has any of those attributes.