Hampshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Hampshire

Post by cpwigan »

I actually think our away efforts will improve tenfold with Rocky and George as halfbacks compared to Matty and George.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

George is a better 7 than Smith.
Hampshire is, albeit potentially, a better 6 than George.
There's experience in the halves now with George, he's no longer a rookie, so potentially now room for a less experienced player to demonstrate his ability to form a partnership with Williams.

Seems simple to me, but hey, Mr Wane knows best.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Afraid to be proven wrong IMO. A dozen games of George and Rocky could prove him right or wrong but I think he fears the latter. Silly.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Afraid to be proven wrong IMO. A dozen games of George and Rocky could prove him right or wrong but I think he fears the latter. Silly.
My thinking also. I thought putting Rocky at FB was Wane's attempt to copy Madge's tactics with Sam. As you say, he may now be desperate not to get egg on his face. Silly indeed!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The season long loan removes any possibility of Rocky proving himself, proving Wane wrong. The crazy thing is internally Wigan were scratching their heads last season re Matty Smiths form.

Form does not equate to selection / non selection at Wigan, certainly not for every player.

I honestly believe at tight away grounds you need players who can drop a shoulder/step past defenders closer to the POTB area. Mac offers other things so we do not get that from 9 which means we need it from the two halves IMO.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cpwigan wrote:The season long loan removes any possibility of Rocky proving himself, proving Wane wrong.
Does it? If he excels in the halves for a year does that not prove Wane wrong - if indeed he is not playing Hampshire because he thinks he isn't a good HB. Maybe he just worries about lack of experience in tue halves which could be resolved with Hampshire getting game time elsewhere and Williams having another season at Wigan.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Mike wrote:
cpwigan wrote:The season long loan removes any possibility of Rocky proving himself, proving Wane wrong.
Does it? If he excels in the halves for a year does that not prove Wane wrong - if indeed he is not playing Hampshire because he thinks he isn't a good HB. Maybe he just worries about lack of experience in tue halves which could be resolved with Hampshire getting game time elsewhere and Williams having another season at Wigan.
Do you think Hampshire has had a fair crack of the whip at Wigan?
It is not fair to judge his performances at full back as he is a genuine stand off.
You wouldn't dream of playing Smith at full back, and if he was played FB do you think he would have done as well?
Smith can be judged as he has played in his true position, and he has been poor.
Mike, do you believe a Smith/Williams 6/7 is better than a Williams/Hampshire 6/7 and if so why?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The problem of Hampshire playing at Stand Off is in my opinion, the fact that Smith who is one of the senior players is on a contract until 2018.

Perhaps it would have been better to have given Smith a shorter contract if the club had any intention of playing Hampshire at Stand Off with Williams moving to his proper position of Scrum Half.

As a result of Sam returning earlier than expected, the club has ended up in a situation where they now cannot fit Hampshire in a regular position of either Full Back where they intended to play him following the departure of Bowen or at Half Back due to the contract length of Smith.

The result being a rumoured loan signing to Castleford to gain more experience or a move designed to sell in due course?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:The season long loan removes any possibility of Rocky proving himself, proving Wane wrong. The crazy thing is internally Wigan were scratching their heads last season re Matty Smiths form.

Form does not equate to selection / non selection at Wigan, certainly not for every player.

I honestly believe at tight away grounds you need players who can drop a shoulder/step past defenders closer to the POTB area. Mac offers other things so we do not get that from 9 which means we need it from the two halves IMO.
There's no substitute for speed for me, and Hampshire is up there with the fastest at Wigan and Williams isn't too far off that pace either.
Can the same be said of Smith as I fear even our forwards would push him close in a foot race.
It's not all about speed but it makes your game more difficult if you don't have it?
OrrellWarrior

Post by OrrellWarrior »

I think this is exactly what it is, people seem to be getting a bit caught up in conspiracies. Smith didnt have a great season, but, he is a very vocal leader during plays. Something that is invaluable in any team!
The young players have enough pressure just trying to establish themselves in the first team, this loan gives Williams another season playing along side a seasoned player (to hopefully take over his mantle in the future) and allows Hampshire a season playing super league level (where any mistakes he makes wont effect us) with a view of coming into our first team a better more experienced player.
I honestly dont see a down side to this........unless of course you just love a good conspirisy.