Salford game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Salford game

Post by cpwigan »

The fixtures are not managed very well by the RFL IMO. So in the first instance the problem lies with them. IL is to be congratulated re communicating but as others have said here / elsewhere it could be sooner albeit communication can as he alludes be sensitive particularly when trying to fathom the RFL. It does irk fans but as I said previously it is not new and happened at CP etc. It is probably exacerbated by increasing demands from our working lives. I cannot fathom we must play at the DW when we already play in London. I do think in the future you will see clubs move around more during the season as NRL clubs do. Even out of necessity to try to increase the fan base / investment base.

I hate the people who are ant rugby or anti football blah blah blah.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EDINBURGH-WARRI​OR​ wrote: What is wrong with Wigan v Salford *

* please be aware that there is a possible problem with the scheduling of this match. Please don't purchase Advance (non refundable ) train tickets from Penzance to Wigan or Inverness to Wigan and/or book non refundable hotel rooms at Wigan Premier Inn / Wigan Oak until the club confirm the actual date this match will be played .

Not rocket science is it
Exactly.

Especially as it was Wigan RL who asked to move the game from the Friday in the first place as one of the seven high priority fixture changes the club requeted.

Wigan RL asked for the game to be moved from Friday. This is all very pragmatic and very accommodating to Latics given Latics play Saturday but Wigan RL never intended this game to be played on the Friday.

The fact the RFL came back and said "no" because of the four day turnaround so Thursday and Sunday were out should have been a cue to ask Latics to move their fixture. If the cooperation between the clubs is as great as IL says it is on Wigan TV why was this not an option?

The more protracted and quite frankly farcical the dealings over when and/or where to play this game became should have also been the cue to inform fans there was a potential issue.

I don't see what was to be gained but NOT informing fans given the club wanted to and instigated the move from Friday anyway.

At the end of the Wigan TV video IL was asked what lessons to be learned there were from this. Conspicuous by its absence was one of informing the fans of potential fixture changes as soon as any fixtures are in doubt.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote: As for having a Stadium of our own, that will never happen as the club does not have the money and knowing the Council, they would more than likely not grant planning permission, especially when they have 14% share in 'Whelan's Folly'.
Even if the capital could be found to build a stadium it is unlikely that it will happen. If I remember rightly, the deal the Warriors have is financially attractive (10% of gate receipts). Added to that does the contract that we have with DW have a break clause? If not, then we have a few decades to go before we can wriggle out of the deal or I suppose we could choose to pay a hefty financial penalty!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards