Millward sacked - Post Here

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Millward sacked - Post...

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
DaveO posted:
robjoenz posted:
I think Mike explained it best... if Lindsay was going to give Millward full control he shouldn't be sacking him for asserting his control and before he has had chance to do his job.
I don't think we can lay the blame for the sacking at Mo's door. There is now a board of directors at the club and unless the majority of them agreed with this then it would not have happened.

It was only last week Mo was backing Millward for the long haul and this leads me to believe it may even not have been Mo's idea.
I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it might be worth remembering that our blue cousins have at least as much experience as us at firing coaches in times of trouble. Wasn't it 3 in one season prior to Jewell's arrival? The two Latics directors will have had a say in this as well, not just ML, and there may also be the hand of DW in there as well.
John Martin is on the board as well and the more I think about it the more I become convinced this was instigated by DW not ML.

ML backed Millward really stongly very recently and said Wigan don't sack coaches in this position or words to that effect saying no one was calling for Tony Smiths head at Wakey despite (at the time) them being in the same situation as us.

This is such a complete U turn on that I really don't think he was in favour of this at all.

Dave
bertina

Post by bertina »

Fraggle posted:
GeoffN posted:
So, what criteria do we use for selecting a new coach? One with good results? One who the players will like? One that Lindsay and the board will like? One who will do what he's told?
Millward was always a controversial character, and I never really saw that aspect of him fitting in at Wigan. I also have ML as being very ego-centric and wanting to be the main man, and he doesn't seem to like it if the coach has more visibility than him. Again it seemed strange to me that he would appoint someone who was always going to attract the attention of the media. Last time we had a coach like that (Endacott) he didn't fit in with ML either because he was media-friendly. Raper, Gregory and Betts weren't really people the media would focus on (some of us still need subtitles for Betts!) allowing ML to make his big announcements to the world. So I think someone a bit less high-profile is likely, which probably rules out Brian Noble who has been rumoured.
To be fair this was a no win situation for the board. If they had waited much longer and things hadn't improved, everyone would have been screaming about them doing nothing until it's too late.At least this way whoever we appoint has twenty or so games to try and turn things around.
Let's be honest, Millward has been baffling everyone of late with his constant swapping and changing of positions of players, even before the injury situation got to this level.I must admit it appeared to me that he was devoid of ideas as to what was needed to sort things out.If the players themselves get this kind of feeling then confidence will sink.
Millward has had these players together since October, and should have had first choice positions sorted out, not chopping and changing every ten minutes. If he has lost the confidence of the players, and that does seem to be the case, then he has to go.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

bertina posted:

To be fair this was a no win situation for the board. If they had waited much longer and things hadn't improved, everyone would have been screaming about them doing nothing until it's too late.At least this way whoever we appoint has twenty or so games to try and turn things around.
Let's be honest, Millward has been baffling everyone of late with his constant swapping and changing of positions of players, even before the injury situation got to this level.I must admit it appeared to me that he was devoid of ideas as to what was needed to sort things out.If the players themselves get this kind of feeling then confidence will sink.
Millward has had these players together since October, and should have had first choice positions sorted out, not chopping and changing every ten minutes. If he has lost the confidence of the players, and that does seem to be the case, then he has to go.

Brilliantly and succintly put. Can you e-mail this to ChrisA
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

ian.birchall posted:
bertina posted:

Brilliantly and succintly put. Can you e-mail this to ChrisA
My problem isn't that you dislike Millward as a coach, its your petty hatred of him as a person, and the countless threads you've made trying to poison people against him, that fact you stopped your family going to watch their club, that isn't supporting your club. If you post and make sense and kept it to a purely rugby oriented content as Bertina did, I would have no problem with you at all Ian.
Bertina posted and made some very good points, I've never said Millward was blameless, I've slated him on numerous occasions about the very ineffective flat attack he was sticking with. I'm not saying sacking Millward was the wrong thing to do either, in all honesty I dont know what is wrong at the club, and what needs to be done to fix it.
You however just post drivel because you dislike the guy in general. Anyone who has posted logically and explained themselves has always, and always will get respect from me, you however dont seem to be able to manage that, your posts are at times childish and petty, hence the reason I just condemn most of the things you post, it's not just me either is it Ian, a few others see it as I do too.
I have agreed with you and replied as I would to any other poster on here when you have posted something that makes sense and you have kept it down to a rugby based comment, those occasions are very few and far between though.
ince warrior

Post by ince warrior »

i wonder what his next job'll be, tory spin doctor?
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGAN!!!

WRLFC & SCFC FOR LIFE!!!

WE HATE LATICS, SAINTS, MACCLESFIELD, BURNLEY, CITY, LEEDS, WIRE AND WREXHAM!!!!
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Millward has proved himself to be a decent coach. BUT, he wasn't delivering for us, and I'm also of the opinion that he was definitely part of the problem.

The things Wigan always do well, such as completion rates, water-tight defence, etc., are just not there at the moment. Surely this is due to the way the players are training/being told to play on the pitch?

The game against Leeds showed that we have the personnel to actually play well against a decent side (in fact any side), but it still didn't look like Wigan of old. Maybe that's the problem, it's not the Wigan of old. But if we're not going to be competing for the top spot with the players we have we shouldn't be there at the bottom.

I just hope that whoever comes in (pleeeeease not John Kear :eusa10: ), gets us doing the basics well, completing our sets and actually displaying some sort of defensive capability.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

yokozuna posted:
I just hope that whoever comes in (pleeeeease not John Kear :eusa10: ), gets us doing the basics well, completing our sets and actually displaying some sort of defensive capability.
Interesting question, what's the priority - defence or attack? We've got a very poor defence (and a good defence has always been a hallmark of Wigan teams, even when we've been playing badly in recent years), but we've also got the 2nd worst attack in the league and we're never going to win anything if we can't score points, no matter how good the defence. One positive from this weekend's games is that London have somehow managed to score 58 fewer points than us this season whilst conceeding more, although I'm expecting our defence to take a battering on Friday. London are only averaging 11 points scored per game, compared to our 18. Could we be looking at the lowest scoring game of the season on Monday?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Fraggle posted:
yokozuna posted:
Could we be looking at the lowest scoring game of the season on Monday?
if we win 1 nil, then at least it's a win.
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

FROM A TO B posted:
Fraggle posted:
yokozuna posted:
Could we be looking at the lowest scoring game of the season on Monday?
if we win 1 nil, then at least it's a win.
True enough, and if the players adopt CPW's plan of a drop goal every time they attack then we may even steal two wins this weekend! I'd settle for low scores and dull-as-anything rugby if it gets us a couple of wins and clear of the bottom.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
OJ

Post by OJ »

GeoffN posted:

So, what criteria do we use for selecting a new coach?
One who is only looking for part time work :angry:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.