Gareth Thomas

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Shaun1967

Re: Gareth Thomas

Post by Shaun1967 »

So which part of my statement was wrong?
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

First Try Tickle wrote:
He's one of the most famous names in Rugby Union, there's a major film to be made of his life and he's a friend of the royals.
I wonder if he will get Prince Harry to persuade Fat Prince Harry to come to Wigan? :lol:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:Sorry but i think this is a great PR stunt, and would think the RL had something to do with it.

He's one of the most famous names in Rugby Union, there's a major film to be made of his life and he's a friend of the royals.

Its all good publicity for Wigan and Rugby League and is better than him going back to union.

He will be a great representative for Wigan and if we ever look at any union players, who better to send to meet them.

I doubt he'll play in super league, but i bet he's a great help for up and coming centres, Joel included.

After the royal wedding he was one of the first to be interviewed by the BBC on worldwidwe TV. Nice if had said "Gareth Thomas - Wigan Warriors"

I totally agree about the PR promotion as you rightly say FTT.

However, Gareth Thomas was a winger in Rugby Union, with both his playing position and his sport nothing like what centres play in Rugby League.

Maybe its just me in my twisted hatred of Rugby Union, but this bloke is not, and never would be good enough to teach players like Joel Tomkins who are way way ahead of his ability.
I know I sound negative but all this bloke is good for in RL is PR.
Gareth Thomas was also a Centre in RU, not just a winger.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:Sorry but i think this is a great PR stunt, and would think the RL had something to do with it.

Its all good publicity for Wigan and Rugby League and is better than him going back to union.

He will be a great representative for Wigan and if we ever look at any union players, who better to send to meet them.

I doubt he'll play in super league, but i bet he's a great help for up and coming centres, Joel included.

After the royal wedding he was one of the first to be interviewed by the BBC on worldwidwe TV. Nice if had said "Gareth Thomas - Wigan Warriors"

I totally agree about the PR promotion as you rightly say FTT.

However, Gareth Thomas was a winger in Rugby Union, with both his playing position and his sport nothing like what centres play in Rugby League.

Maybe its just me in my twisted hatred of Rugby Union, but this bloke is not, and never would be good enough to teach players like Joel Tomkins who are way way ahead of his ability.
OK, though Predominantly a winger, but still that has no standing in comparison to either position in Rugby League.
At 37 Mark Gasnier as a player would be seen as a negative move for Wigan, but gees this bloke as a Rugby League Centre for Wigan, someone is taking the p1ss.
TrueBlueWarrior

Panchitta Marra wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: I totally agree about the PR promotion as you rightly say FTT.

OK, though Predominantly a winger, but still that has no standing in comparison to either position in Rugby League.
At 37 Mark Gasnier as a player would be seen as a negative move for Wigan, but gees this bloke as a Rugby League Centre for Wigan, someone is taking the p1ss.
I am not saying I agree with the signing just saying that he did play centre as well, in my opinion for what it is worth, Wigan should make signings because they are at best going to make the starting 13 better and at worse make the squad better. Does GT fulfill either of these criteria? My answer would be no! Having said that if he does not cost us anything and he earns a place in the squad on merit then fair play to him but I think we currently have far better RL players in the squad and also in the reserves/academies. As a Wigan RL fan then of course I want the business side of the club to improve but first and foremost I want the playing side to keep improving and then the business side of things will look after itself. A Wigan team winning trophies will have far more media attention than a losing Wigan team with GT in it!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Gareth Thomas was also a Centre in RU, not just a winger.
I am not saying I agree with the signing just saying that he did play centre as well, in my opinion for what it is worth, Wigan should make signings because they are at best going to make the starting 13 better and at worse make the squad better. Does GT fulfill either of these criteria? My answer would be no! Having said that if he does not cost us anything and he earns a place in the squad on merit then fair play to him but I think we currently have far better RL players in the squad and also in the reserves/academies. As a Wigan RL fan then of course I want the business side of the club to improve but first and foremost I want the playing side to keep improving and then the business side of things will look after itself. A Wigan team winning trophies will have far more media attention than a losing Wigan team with GT in it!!
Sorry TBW, my swipe at this decision isn't at you, its that from any realistic angle I cannot see the reasoning behind this signing apart from PR.
TrueBlueWarrior

Panchitta Marra wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: OK, though Predominantly a winger, but still that has no standing in comparison to either position in Rugby League.
Sorry TBW, my swipe at this decision isn't at you, its that from any realistic angle I cannot see the reasoning behind this signing apart from PR.
I think from my post above it shows I agree with you PM!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Bugger. Another thread ruined by posters who can't be arsed quoting/editing properly and turning it into just a mass of blah blah that I can't be arsed ploughing through!

Thanks guys!
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

If we want a publicity stunt why not sign gavin henson.

he's on telly all the time so everyone knows who he is.

IF and it's a big IF you can get him interested he is quality and might I add for Rah Rah he can put a shot on!!!

Just a thought if this is the was IL wants to go!
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

As anyone who knows me will know normally I would be dead set against this signing. There is no logic behind signing a very average 37 year old who is far from proven in RL.

However after being told the reasons being the signing I think that it could be a very clever move. Forget the idea of Thomas the player, if Wane continues to pick on the same basis as Maguire, and I think he will, then Thomas wont get a look in and he certainly wont hold back the progress of younger players. This signing is more a commercial one and the benefits to the club could be huge in the long run. Thomas is the biggest name in Welsh RU and with him at the club, and the plans that the club have to go along with this which will come out in due course, Wales will become a breeding ground for Wigan and if they even get just a handful of top quality young Welsh RU/RL players coming through on the back of it then his signing will be well worth it.