gaz hock thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: gaz hock thread

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Was it Gouging that Hock pleaded guilty to, or was it wreckless conduct, not necessarily the same thing.
Reckless gouging is what he has been banned for and that is what he pleaded guilty to.

In the full version of the ruling the RFL state they have not gone outside recommended tariff for either offence (the gouging or the punch) so he clearly didn't plead guilty to a lesser offence (that they then decided to give him along ban for anyway).

He got the shortest ban he could get for the tariff the offence carried he pleaded guilty to.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:I agree. When I watched the game back I was really annoyed by what Hock did and thought he should be banned for a long time. It obviously wasn't helped by the fact that the replays I saw were the slow motion Sky replays of the point where Hock grabs Harrison's face and not the incident as a whole.

Having watched the clip a few times on youtube and looked at the whole incident I think it's a case of Hock being pretty daft as opposed to being malicious.
In the build up, Wire are spreading the ball wide, offloading at will and the ball goes to ground at one point. The Wigan defence is scrambling to get hold of the ball carriers and is looking pretty tired.
When Hock makes the tackle he ends up on completely the wrong side of Harrison, with his head pointing towards his own team. Harrison attempts to get up quickly which would have left Hock well out of position. He gets his left arm and his upper body free from the tackle and tries to wriggle free and that's when Hock grabs at him and pulls backwards towards himself. Harrison moves his head to the side when Hock makes contact and Hock clambers around still holding onto him and gets back to marker.

I also think Hock's reaction to Harrison lashing out supports the view that it wasn't deliberate. I think that was a reaction of someone surprised at a player lashing out rather than someone expecting it.
If that is true given the club faced the loss of Hock for a potential 9 matches there was no reason for him to plead guilty and every reason to defend his position. He and the club chose not to and the club have publicly said they are disappointed in him for what he did. So I think you were right the first time you watched it.
Bashy

Post by Bashy »

witht he statement avobe that cherry.pie wrote id have to agree, you can clearly see Gaz release his fingers, also if there was a gouge then Ben Harisson would have been rubbing his eyes surely? he didnt therefore i would have to say there was no pressure as when Gaz realised he had his eyes he moved his fingers away. The uppercut, yeah well?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

The Aints(Redvee) are now leading on this thread by eleven pages to nine. Bazdev is holding our end up but Aints still trying to score points. It seems to me that they especially wanted Coley, Sam and Lima banned as well before we play them in the play-offs. How sad is that?
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

cherry.pie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:The RL Media are incredibly irresponsible and their conduct does the game no favours.

People elsewhere have scoffed at the been away from the game for 2 years excuse BUT it is relevant. Gaz by his own admission is not the sharpest tool in the box and if you were going to deliberately break the rules, the 80th minute makes no sense whatsoever. I do think Hocky is somebody who prefers old fashioned defending where people try to run straight through you and you knock them down with a proper tackle. Wrestling etc defence is more complicated and Gaz sometimes gets it wrong.
I agree. When I watched the game back I was really annoyed by what Hock did and thought he should be banned for a long time. It obviously wasn't helped by the fact that the replays I saw were the slow motion Sky replays of the point where Hock grabs Harrison's face and not the incident as a whole.

Having watched the clip a few times on youtube and looked at the whole incident I think it's a case of Hock being pretty daft as opposed to being malicious.
In the build up, Wire are spreading the ball wide, offloading at will and the ball goes to ground at one point. The Wigan defence is scrambling to get hold of the ball carriers and is looking pretty tired.
When Hock makes the tackle he ends up on completely the wrong side of Harrison, with his head pointing towards his own team. Harrison attempts to get up quickly which would have left Hock well out of position. He gets his left arm and his upper body free from the tackle and tries to wriggle free and that's when Hock grabs at him and pulls backwards towards himself. Harrison moves his head to the side when Hock makes contact and Hock clambers around still holding onto him and gets back to marker.

I also think Hock's reaction to Harrison lashing out supports the view that it wasn't deliberate. I think that was a reaction of someone surprised at a player lashing out rather than someone expecting it.

Whenever certain incidents in the game are replayed whilst
on sky,they always look much worse in slow-motion.
Also the over excited commentary does players no favours
at all,and I think most people end up fearing the worst
thanks to Punch and Judy.. aka Stevo and Eddie.

It was stupid but no way was it gouging,as I'm sure that
involves using a blade or similar instrument.
the winky one

Re: Gaz Hock

Post by the winky one »

Matthew wrote:Hilarious how no-one from wire got warned - despite glass jaw king using the forearm on Lima, and cry baby briers diving on Sam.

Hock will get a mid-range ban; it wasn't a full on gouge, but he put his fingers over harrison's eyes and the punch afterwards won't help - probably 4 or 5 matches - season over for him.
Well said Matthew,Warrington have got away nicely,while
all the focus is on what Wigan have done wrong.
Lee Briers was half a mile down the pitch after one
rumpus,he's another of those players rather like Bobbie
Goulding, who start a scrap and then run away
when the punches are thrown.The little fart!! :angry: :angry: