Wane to go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wane to go

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

i think the issue is definitely on the pitch leadership, but i do wonder whether that is the players or Wane.

I remember a long time ago watching a leeds game and one of the sky bunch (may have been Carney or Wells) picked out what i think is a very pertinent point.

They said they believe Brian Mc doesnt tell his side what to do and how to play, the team make that choice, he will give them guidance but ultimately the team play the way the team want to play and Brian mc facilitates that by coaching them in the way they want to play.

I feel like we are the complete opposite, its Wanes way or the highway and that is it, you arent dancing to his tune you are out
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:i think the issue is definitely on the pitch leadership, but i do wonder whether that is the players or Wane.
As this issue has persisted the responsibility for it ultimately lies with Wane. He hasn't got the luxury of sitting back and saying we lack direction or were "dumb" game after game. It's his job to sort it out.

If on-field leadership is lacking he needs to sort it out.
I remember a long time ago watching a leeds game and one of the sky bunch (may have been Carney or Wells) picked out what i think is a very pertinent point.

They said they believe Brian Mc doesnt tell his side what to do and how to play, the team make that choice, he will give them guidance but ultimately the team play the way the team want to play and Brian mc facilitates that by coaching them in the way they want to play.

I feel like we are the complete opposite, its Wanes way or the highway and that is it, you arent dancing to his tune you are out
If we don't have any on-field leadership do we have the players who could organise themselves in this way?

At times over the past two seasons games have been crying out for the team to chuck the blindingly obvious and predictable game plan out of the window but they stick at it regardless.

Is that because " it's Wanes way or the highway" or because they have not got the collective nouse to do it?
kevccool

Post by kevccool »

The difference between the two teams was not the ref or any other conspiracy theory or Wane's coaching but simply a QUALITY KICKER and a bit of composure. Leeds are brimming with experienced old heads who have been there done it, know what it takes with the belief they will do it again. We were panicky at times and didn't always take the best option because that is what you get with younger players. The key now is keeping hold of the youngsters now they have been blooded just like Leeds did all those years ago and if we can do that this could be the start of something. Bradford, Saints and then Leeds all had an era we have not had ours in the Super League we have a pretty poor return of 3 wins in 8 finals. So its a quality place and goal kicker on my Christmas list.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

2 years of nothing!
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Based on the premise that Shaun Wayne should go after 2 years of no trophies.
Sack all the SL coaches apart from McDermott and Anderson then

Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

cpwigan wrote:I an see that the pressure on match officials was huge with the emotion of the Leeds retirements BUT at the end of the day WE LOST IT OURSELVES;

Simple examples;

We are 6-0 up and Matty Smith does not catch the kick off. Blew our field position, possession and our lead and 6 points No match officials can be blamed for that.

Micky Mac going for the try line and another 6 pointer when the ball catches a 'lucky knee and Mac knocks on.

Those were in the first 20, without our bad play and bad luck we could have been 12-0 after 20 minutes.

No pressure on officials / no fixing could influence that.
I haven't read all the other comments yet but had to reply to this one.

Last year our player punched a bloke twice (once when dazed on the floor) and you had a go at the officials for not doing their jobs properly.

This year you are questioning those who feel aggrieved by some of the decisions made. Hypocritical?

I don't think the match was bent but I do feel 100% that Mcguire knocked on.

I also want to ask people to look at things from a glass half full angle.

We were IMHO a brain explosion and 3 points from having 3 consecutive grand final wins.

Is Shaun Wane perfect? No. Is he hamstrung by contraints from the chairman? please someone enlighten me.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

sheepsteeth wrote:
We were IMHO a brain explosion and 3 points from having 3 consecutive grand final wins.

Is Shaun Wane perfect? No. Is he hamstrung by contraints from the chairman? please someone enlighten me.
But we didn't get those wins and also got dumped out of the cup twice by two poor sides and missed out on the LLS this time due to an appalling away record.

IL may have said to Wane that is the squad you have, get on with it, but there is plenty that is under Wanes control that isn't good enough.

IL doesn't tell him to take Micky Mac off by the clock, pick Gelling in a game like the one v Saints or only sort the goal kicking out when it's too late etc.

Like when Noble had been here a while I think our coach has taken this group of players as far as he can. A fresh set of ideas and a new approach is needed in my opinion. Especially if there are to be no more signings than those already announced.

jao711

Post by jao711 »

Kol wrote:About time he resigned - no trophies in 2 years - new face and inspiration please
Correct me if I'm wrong,but that would leave us with only one coach in Superleague.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jao711 wrote:
Kol wrote:About time he resigned - no trophies in 2 years - new face and inspiration please
Correct me if I'm wrong,but that would leave us with only one coach in Superleague.
The rest of Super League isn't a representation. In the past 6 years we have been on average the best team in terms of league finishes/points.

We have a very good production line.

We are an attractive club to overseas players and would have the finances to bring in players.

For numerous reasons we have failed to really build on a platform set when we won the double in 2010.

1 Grand Final win and two GF losses and 1 challenge cup win in 4 years for Wane may look on paper as quite an achievement, but in reality it is not.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I have made it clear that I am far from happy with the officiating on Saturday, however I also said that if SW does not win anything this season he should go and I stick by that. Close or not to 2 trophies the bottom line is we won nothing and irrelevant of the officials we should have won Saturday and comfortably in my opinion.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett