Project Fear Fails Again, Remoaners Can't be Happy

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
DaveO

Re: Project Fear Fails Again, Remoaners Can't be Happy

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote: After last nights Bi-election some MPs' are going to start bricking it. Do they vote with their constituencies or do they vote with the majority of the country. Got to hand it to the lib dems they are playing a blinder atm. Hung everything on Article 50.

Problem is for both labour and Tories there could be a real split in the voting. May is back tracking on some key issues paying for single market is one and full immigration control.

Now I know most on here knew and understand that you will have to meet in the middle on many issues. Some in the country are not that educated to some it was a choice of immigration or not. Same with the single market access. Problem for both parties to either side now is a parties that could hit a perfect storm scenario and get enough votes to really cause an issue. Its not the loss last night as much as Tories losing 20k votes will people vote tactically in an election for the first time. That is a serious issue now the referendum and article 50 will be the big issue of the next election.

Constant pushing back of date and pushing back on promises made by leave will push people to UKIP and many will vote Lib Dem if they offer to remain. 2020 could be a once in a life time election where political party dominance is changed. Now I am not saying UKIP or LIB Dems win it but they could affect the result.
[/b]
Another result, Crewe-West council by-election yesterday, Labour won taking 62% of the vote. 736 votes for Lab, 228 for Con and 215 for UKIP.

No where near as significant as the Richmond result but interesting in that UKIP clearly didn't dent the Labour vote.

As to the Richmond result I think it is a bit of a game changer. By-elections often give governments bloody noses but then voters return to the fold when offered a tax break or the economy looks to have improved or whatever. The difference this time the issue that led to this vote, Brexit, is not going away.

All those Lib Dem seats the Tories successfully targeted at the 2015 GE now look vulnerable again overnight. They won't need anything like the swing they got in Richmond to unseat the Tory MP in many of them.

If May carries on appearing to push for a hard Brexit you can virtually guarantee a hung parliament in 2020.

I think the opinion polls once again have been shown to be useless. The Tories are supposed to be 16% ahead of Labour with the Lib Dems in 3rd. Well to me it looks like in constituencies that have been Liberal in the past the Lib Dems are probably way ahead.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

In the Witney byelection the total votes won by the Lib Dems, Labour and Greens was more than the Tories.
A combined alliance between those three parties and there wouldn't be a safe Tory seat anywhere.

The whole Brexit is unravelling.
They promised being in the single market, doing away with Full Freedom of Movement of People and we wouldn't be paying any more
contributions.
That now turns out to be single market with freedom of movement and continuing to pay contributions.
What the daft sods haven't realised yet that the contributions will be far more than now as we won't have the "British Thatcher Rebate".

Just watched Ch 4 news and they had Crispin Blunt on the Tory, Nick Clegg and Dianne Abbott. Abbott was way out of her depth against those two. How Labour handle this will be crucial. Trouble is they are not behaving like a proper HM Opposition Party. They appear truly clueless.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I never thought it would prove to be true but the lib dems do seem to have been the brains behind the coalition given the current Tory headless chicken approach to government and the issue of leaving the EU.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The problem is no one thought we would vote leave - even the MPs campaigning for leave didn't fully believe they'd win it. I remember farage accepting defeat almost when interviewed at the start of the night of voting

So we ended up with people voting for something that had no real plan, hence why the leave campaign was made up of sound bites and no actual substance

To put it in context it's like UKIP winning the general election and suddenly having to actually run a government when the just don't have the knowledge or resources

2016 has been the year of regression, both in America and here
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

And 10 years to negotiate trade deals! How can folk be so dumb to vote for something they have no facts about?
Vote for change, it won't affect me, I'll be away with the fairies!!!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Plus we now hear a bill of £50bn as the price of leaving.
At the end of all that no deal as countries are already queing up to veto any trade deal between the EU and UK.

Sad to see a Wigan firm gone bust due to leaving the EU with 100 people now out of work.
I'll bet Wigan voters weren't told that by the "Leavers".
What the "Leavers" were told isn't what they are going to be sold!

The media have soon jumped on the "Theresa no Mayts" after being ignored and no one prepared to shake hands with her.
It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

I reckon the slogan should change from Soft or Hard Brexit to Deal (in the EU) or No Deal (out of the EU)
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Plus we now hear a bill of £50bn as the price of leaving.
At the end of all that no deal as countries are already queing up to veto any trade deal between the EU and UK.

Sad to see a Wigan firm gone bust due to leaving the EU with 100 people now out of work.
I'll bet Wigan voters weren't told that by the "Leavers".
What the "Leavers" were told isn't what they are going to be sold!

The media have soon jumped on the "Theresa no Mayts" after being ignored and no one prepared to shake hands with her.
It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

I reckon the slogan should change from Soft or Hard Brexit to Deal (in the EU) or No Deal (out of the EU)

Sorry retracted on request from a friend. But will follow up in due course.

TO ALL HAVE A LOVELY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR CHERISH ALL THAT IS GOOD IN LIFE AND HAVE THE FAITH AND STRENGH TO STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN FOR YOUR OWN AND THAT OF YOUR KIN.
BEST WISHES PAUL.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sad to see a Wigan firm gone bust due to leaving the EU with 100 people now out of work.
What firm is that?

We received the annual Christmas letter from one of my cousins who lives down around Bournemouth. She tells us her daughter survived a culling of 40 jobs in Exxon Mobil in London by the skin of her teeth when the department she was in was closed as a direct result of Brexit. Her daugher was one of three retained and assigned to another department so she was lucky.
doc

Post by doc »

DaveO wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote: Sad to see a Wigan firm gone bust due to leaving the EU with 100 people now out of work.
What firm is that?

We received the annual Christmas letter from one of my cousins who lives down around Bournemouth. She tells us her daughter survived a culling of 40 jobs in Exxon Mobil in London by the skin of her teeth when the department she was in was closed as a direct result of Brexit. Her daugher was one of three retained and assigned to another department so she was lucky.
Rivington Biscuits

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-38328388
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

doc wrote:
DaveO wrote:
What firm is that?

Rivington Biscuits

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-38328388
Saw it mentioned in the Independent after I posted

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 76881.html

The problem for companies this size is they can't afford to hedge against currency movements like big corporations and such a drastic and rapid drop in the value of the £ is virtually impossible for them to handle. They can't just put their prices up and expect things to all work out nicely. Expect more stories like this in the new year as the increased costs impact more businesses.