A W O L

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
butt monkey

Re: A W O L

Post by butt monkey »

thegimble wrote: When did a Wigan player leave without permission by the club when still in contract. Can you name one that left in the middle of a contract and we did not either ok him going or get a fee for him.

Just wondering
Well hand on heart I can say (or think) that under IL tenure, it appears as though players have actively been encouraged to seek moves overseas or to Union, with the premise being we can always resign them should they want to return. Even after recently signing new contracts!

My thinking of a contract is a player signs a certain length contract based on the money he wanted and how happy he was at the team. Players only sought moves once those two conditions had "failed".

Players from Wigan have left or been released frequently with the likes of Burke and Mossop both leaving with time left on their deals. Have they been paid off??

Eddy Pettybourne and Epalahame Lauaki were released early for compassionate (among other) reasons. Players leaving appears to be "one way" with them leaving only on the express permission of the clubs involved. Recently with Segeyaro, Sandow and Solomona that appears to have changed
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

butt monkey wrote:
thegimble wrote: When did a Wigan player leave without permission by the club when still in contract. Can you name one that left in the middle of a contract and we did not either ok him going or get a fee for him.

Just wondering
Well hand on heart I can say (or think) that under IL tenure, it appears as though players have actively been encouraged to seek moves overseas or to Union, with the premise being we can always resign them should they want to return. Even after recently signing new contracts!

My thinking of a contract is a player signs a certain length contract based on the money he wanted and how happy he was at the team. Players only sought moves once those two conditions had "failed".

Players from Wigan have left or been released frequently with the likes of Burke and Mossop both leaving with time left on their deals. Have they been paid off??

Eddy Pettybourne and Epalahame Lauaki were released early for compassionate (among other) reasons. Players leaving appears to be "one way" with them leaving only on the express permission of the clubs involved. Recently with Segeyaro, Sandow and Solomona that appears to have changed
But those player leaving us were with our permission. the other 3 are not. There is a difference if a club agrees to it and not agreeing to it.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

thegimble wrote:
butt monkey wrote:

Just wondering

But those player leaving us were with our permission. the other 3 are not. There is a difference if a club agrees to it and not agreeing to it.
I disagree

Simply put, Wigan are prepared to deal with a situation that arises should a player seek a new challenge. How do you know Wigan wanted those players to go? At the time IL claimed he "did all he could" to keep them, didn't he?

Wigan could have kept all the players and "made" them fulfill all their deals. Joel, Sam etc would never have gone or do you know otherwise?

Castleford played the "throwback" card from decades ago. Simply place a prohibitive enough transfer fee on an unsettled player and expect the fee to be paid or the player return with this tail between his legs.

This situation has opened "Pandora's Box" because he decided to "retire" from League and sign for a new sport, with the blessings of that sports governing body

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

butt monkey wrote:Btw Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you to AncientWarrior.

Nothing personal whatsoever so if you felt that way inclined then I apologise

One thing I DO agree with you is that the situation stinks and Solomona and his agent shouldn't be allowed to "get away" with this.
No offense taken, b.m.

I think you and I will have to agree to differ on this topic. I take your point on an Injunction preventing Solomona from playing and I confess that it puzzled me too. I can only conclude that Cas are allowing Sale enough rope to hang themselves with. In other words, the more he plays and the more tries he scores will impress the Judge less and less.

With regard to all the contractual comings and goings at Wigan, I repeat, a contract can only be terminated with the consent of all parties. Usually this involves some form of 'crossing palms with silver' by way of a resolution.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TO Butt Monkey

Did we give permission for those players you name to leave. Or did they break their contract with Wigan.

As for Cas its up to them if they think they are in the right then they are doing the right thing. 1 point you mentioned he retired from league that is now very debatable even the Sales Shark manager said he was sacked.

Wigan could have kept all the players and "made" them fulfill all their deals. Joel, Sam etc would never have gone or do you know otherwise

No I do not know but neither do you.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

thegimble wrote:TO Butt Monkey

How do YOU know Wigan agreed to the three leaving? Just because they left did NOT mean Wigan wanted them out does it?
thegimble wrote:
Did we give permission for those players you name to leave. Or did they break their contract with Wigan.

As for Cas its up to them if they think they are in the right then they are doing the right thing. 1 point you mentioned he retired from league that is now very debatable even the Sales Shark manager said he was sacked.
Ok. Let's do this dummy fashion as you are obviously being obtuse

Charnley has 2 years left into years 2017 and 2018. Sale want to sign him. What do Wigan do?

I will explain. Wigan know and do not attempt to prevent the player leaving (as with Sam even appear to condone it). They talk and negotiate a deal that sees the player move and on terms that "if" things might go wrong the player concerned "might" feel obliged to return

Right? Wrong? Which is it Gimble?

History has shown Wigan WILL talk and do deals has it not Gimble?
thegimble wrote: Wigan could have kept all the players and "made" them fulfill all their deals. Joel, Sam etc would never have gone or do you know otherwise

No I do not know but neither do you.
I accept that neither of us know for sure BUT the caveat is that if you take things simply, rather than attempt to be "smart" and simply being polar opposite just because you want to, even you might realise that I am correct and Wigan do not keep hold of unsettled players no matter what or who unsettled them

What has transpired at Castleford has furthered the boundaries between League and Union players moving between the codes as now being akin to two different sports rather than one being a professional version of the other

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Most people on here are missing the point.

We are talking about two different sports here.

It's a bit like a plumber resigning from his company and becoming an electrician.

At the risk of repeating myself where do the people who think that a transfer fee is required in law draw the line?

Suppose Solomona had decided to take up darts. Would a fee be payable here?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wintergreen wrote:Most people on here are missing the point.

We are talking about two different sports here.

It's a bit like a plumber resigning from his company and becoming an electrician.

At the risk of repeating myself where do the people who think that a transfer fee is required in law draw the line?

Suppose Solomona had decided to take up darts. Would a fee be payable here?
What if the plumber had a contract to do a job in a big house and stops halfway through. Is he not liable to finish the contract or to come to terms with the contract provider.

Taking up another sport interesting one that but he would still have to finish his contract or face the threat of action.

All depends Terms and conditions of his contract
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

will explain. Wigan know and do not attempt to prevent the player leaving (as with Sam even appear to condone it). They talk and negotiate a deal that sees the player move and on terms that "if" things might go wrong the player concerned "might" feel obliged to return

So you actually agree WE let them go. So Charnel does not break his contract with us and so can move on without the issue that Cas has atm.

accept that neither of us know for sure BUT the caveat is that if you take things simply, rather than attempt to be "smart" and simply being polar opposite just because you want to, even you might realise that I am correct and Wigan do not keep hold of unsettled players no matter what or who unsettled them

So again you agree we let them go and not let them break the contract.

Instead of reading what you wanted you would have realised that we are actually in agreement on most of this. We do let them move on most sports do that. Only the top 1% clubs are not in that position.

Point I am making is that Cas do not want him to go so Solomona breaks his contract. And he should be penalised for this.
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

Players leaving is often down to a combination of player / club / other clubs. Matty Smith was all. Saints expressed an interest, Wigan only saw a short contract, Matty opted for the Saints option, Wigan were content to proceed. Dan Sarginson was largely the player / NRL club interest, Wigan reacting to his departure.