Warriors Sign Sarginson WIGAN RE-SIGN ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL DAN SARGINSON

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Warriors Sign Sarginson WIGAN RE-SIGN ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL DAN SARGINSON

Post by pedro »

widdenoldboy wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:Just because it's Xmas and I'm feeling mischievous.......... how about the club looking to Oli as a long-term playmaker, probably at stand-off? He has a decent pass - can tactically kick and crucially, has a footballing brain, which has been evident from his first match.
I wouldn't want to split the partnership of a fit Budgie, Liam and Oli on the left but I'm not sure I see too many players on the staff more likely to succeed as a playmaker.
(Lights blue touchpaper and retires to a safe distance - south of Watford!)

Happy New Year to all and I can't wait for the season to start.
I've been thinking that myself, he understands the game so well he could be worth a game or two at 6. He is a little small for a modern centre as well but makes up for it with ability.
we never tried Inga, connoly or carmont there so why Gildart?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Southern Softy wrote:Just because it's Xmas and I'm feeling mischievous.......... how about the club looking to Oli as a long-term playmaker, probably at stand-off? He has a decent pass - can tactically kick and crucially, has a footballing brain, which has been evident from his first match.
I wouldn't want to split the partnership of a fit Budgie, Liam and Oli on the left but I'm not sure I see too many players on the staff more likely to succeed as a playmaker.

Another Joel Moon, you mean? Moon had played in the halves in Australia, I don't know if Gidart had any experience there at junior level, but I can see the appeal of the idea.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And we shouldn't forget Jake Shorrocks, of course.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

moto748 wrote:

Another Joel Moon, you mean? Moon had played in the halves in Australia, I don't know if Gidart had any experience there at junior level, but I can see the appeal of the idea.
Gildart did play some of his junior rugby at #6, but so did Sarginson, in fact Sarginson played in that position for England Knights with Sam Powell as his #7.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

pedro wrote:
widdenoldboy wrote:

I've been thinking that myself, he understands the game so well he could be worth a game or two at 6. He is a little small for a modern centre as well but makes up for it with ability.
I wouldn't have thought any of those three would have made a good 6, Gildart might?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

moto748 wrote:And we shouldn't forget Jake Shorrocks, of course.
Love to see him back - any news on his return?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

widdenoldboy wrote:
pedro wrote:
widdenoldboy wrote: I've been thinking that myself, he understands the game so well he could be worth a game or two at 6. He is a little small for a modern centre as well but makes up for it with ability.
I wouldn't have thought any of those three would have made a good 6, Gildart might?
Brilliant idea. Move the only centre we have at the club to half back. :eusa17:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

DaveO wrote:
widdenoldboy wrote:
pedro wrote: we never tried Inga, connoly or carmont there so why Gildart?
DaveO wrote:
widdenoldboy wrote:
pedro wrote: we never tried Inga, connoly or carmont there so why Gildart?
:D Worth a try is the suggestion - take a chill pill :eusa17: Maybe we will sign a couple of centres to replace Gells :D
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Have to agree it does sound a bit dumb to move Gildhart to half back.
We appear to have quite a few who can play half back but whether they can next year will reveal.
All the BS that's coming out the Club at the moment on Wigan Today has set the bar very high, if the team don't reach that standard surely Wane has to be replaced? Whether that will happen is another matter.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Heres one for you for a mad suggestion, why not try Powell at centre?

many centres walk the line between halfback and centre, the positions possess a lot of similar qualities. Powells fairly solid in defence he has ok pace and ok passing, he doesnt have many brain farts either.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure