New coaches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: New coaches

Post by Caboosegg »

Bit of tongue and cheek but isnt this just the ulimate for of jobs for the lads ????
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Watching the conference it's interesting. Body language is much less disguised than it is with politicians!

It's clear that Lam is fine with the 1 year contract. It will get his name in the shop window and give him valuable experience. The falling standards of Superleague will actually work in his favour- he can play a more expansive game with a reduced threat of being punished clinically for any errors. Hopefully Edwards will cast a shadow over the dressing room and prevent any players "taking their feet off the gas", so to speak. And actually in this capacity he is perfect for the job.

I like the way Edwards gives direct answers to questions, always have done. It might not be "media intelligent" but I prefer that do the usual anodyne answers in these situations.

Is it still a gamble? Yes it is. But if Edwards can learn tactically and match his obvious enthusiasm and effort, then it may just turn out to be a winning one.

jao711

Post by jao711 »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:From a pure PR perspective Edwards has got Wigan and the game back in the broadsheets so on that score alone it is a shrewd move, add to that Edwards fulfilling his WRFU obligations will keep it there for some while yet.

Still can’t understand a lot of people moaning though, I’ve had all sorts today like “if current players don’t respect wane etc how the hell are they going respect lam if he’s only here 1 season “ and folk still not happy with the Hardaker signing so not renewing season tickets.

If the season ticket came with a guaranteed 1 million pound lottery win, folk would still find fault and have reason to moan.
. And on the TV evening news.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

And I thought I was bad for being negative! Some folk on here are unbelievable! I think it's a brilliant deal for us wigan fans and both coaches alike. IL could of gone with winder to plug the gap for a year then what would of folk Said then! I'm made up with this. Only negative is the strange Bateman marquee deal, utter madness if you ask me. Roll on next season
maximus

Post by maximus »

Well all I can say is that both my wife and myself are seriously considering renewing our season tickets after 5 years

this is great news good coaches back at wigan roll on next year
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote:Watching the conference it's interesting. Body language is much less disguised than it is with politicians!

It's clear that Lam is fine with the 1 year contract. It will get his name in the shop window and give him valuable experience. The falling standards of Superleague will actually work in his favour- he can play a more expansive game with a reduced threat of being punished clinically for any errors. Hopefully Edwards will cast a shadow over the dressing room and prevent any players "taking their feet off the gas", so to speak. And actually in this capacity he is perfect for the job.

I like the way Edwards gives direct answers to questions, always have done. It might not be "media intelligent" but I prefer that do the usual anodyne answers in these situations.

Is it still a gamble? Yes it is. But if Edwards can learn tactically and match his obvious enthusiasm and effort, then it may just turn out to be a winning one.
Oddly enough while Lam seems very happy I don't think it'd take much for him to stay though in what capacity I really don't know, but I think thats a good thing he's clearly happy to be here even if only for a year, anything else, if indeed it does arise would be gravy for him.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I do feel for Wane a bit - this mid-season announcement has made it a bit like we are forgetting about this year and just looking forward but im sure knowing wane he will use that as motivation to make sure he wins the GF.

On the coaches im actually really looking forward to seeing how we play under Lam. Ive often thought coaches tend to coach how they played, forwards tend to coach defensively and hard driving teams, half backs tend to coach more expressive like they played.

For me this is the make or break for George Williams, Lam was one of the best halfbacks in the game if GW is here next year and doesnt improve under Lam then he may not have improvement in him if i were GW id be ecstatic that Lam is coming in

Edwards - well ive commented in the past how i was unsure of him due to the fact he has been out the game for so long, i still have those concerns - however this extra year i think will help because he knows hes coming back and can put some of the ground work in. As a overall deal its great for the club and the game, Edwards is a legend and to have him turn his back on union for us is a great news story. Sadly the RFL are too much of a shower to make the most of it but still the stories there.

I thought it was interesting IL saying that him and Rads are responsible for signings, makes me question if rads is cut out for that role
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

I have no concerns at all, rugby is about scoring points and stop them being scored. Edwards spoke about retention a lot in both interviews. % rugby with good defence will win most games. Hes forgotten more about rugby than most coaches know these days and has played under some great coaches and was mentored by Bennett, he will be fine for me.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I do feel for Wane a bit - this mid-season announcement has made it a bit like we are forgetting about this year and just looking forward but im sure knowing wane he will use that as motivation to make sure he wins the GF.

On the coaches im actually really looking forward to seeing how we play under Lam. Ive often thought coaches tend to coach how they played, forwards tend to coach defensively and hard driving teams, half backs tend to coach more expressive like they played.

For me this is the make or break for George Williams, Lam was one of the best halfbacks in the game if GW is here next year and doesnt improve under Lam then he may not have improvement in him if i were GW id be ecstatic that Lam is coming in

Edwards - well ive commented in the past how i was unsure of him due to the fact he has been out the game for so long, i still have those concerns - however this extra year i think will help because he knows hes coming back and can put some of the ground work in. As a overall deal its great for the club and the game, Edwards is a legend and to have him turn his back on union for us is a great news story. Sadly the RFL are too much of a shower to make the most of it but still the stories there.

I thought it was interesting IL saying that him and Rads are responsible for signings, makes me question if rads is cut out for that role
Totally agree with everything you have written.
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

Shaun Wane & Shaun Edwards are both in the same boat. Interestingly though, little said about SE's commitment to Welsh RU but some on twitter about SW's commitment to WRLFC. However it is what it is

Oh and by the way-what a brilliant set of appointments-got me back to remembering SE's first home game for Wigan (he was battered iirc), as well as his try under the sticks in'85. Oh and thelittle matter of the fractured cheekbone against Warrington.