HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:23 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:07 pm Wet weather rugby with a man down for a full half, what more do people expect. The ref killed us
Wigan had the opportunity to win it despite that and so I expect them to be smart enough to take it but this team and coach are not.
1, 6, 7, 9 and historically 13 have been key pivot positions and when you look at ours there’s lots of flair and potential.

The big glaring hole in those positions, and throughout the team really, is big game experience, big game decision making and big game management.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Sam Tomkins agrees it was a soft sending off he said "Red card madness"
If players are saying that, we need to act before the game does become tick rugby
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:33 pm Sam Tomkins agrees it was a soft sending off he said "Red card madness"
If players are saying that, we need to act before the game does become tick rugby
No one is saying it wasn’t harsh - but you deal with it

Wigan could easily have won that game with 12 men - hull kr have key players out and were there for the taking with a bit of smarts
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

My initial reaction was Shorrocks first contact hit the ball and as little Lewis was going down towards the ground he recoiled from that contact. I thought he was slow playing the ball because the tackle shook him up,
only then did the dark arts creep in. For me, never a red card for all the reasons stated by others. The ref made a crap decision.

We were poor in the first half, we never look like scoring, how many times have we failed to turn pressure into points this season. Saying that, at half time I was confident we would win, I didn't rate them really and I thought we would gain momentum in the second half and win fairly comfortably.

I hate golden point as well it seems so unfair on the losers. I was also shocked at Smith kicking from so deep in his own half at the end, it gave them a good starting point. I think the second half we performed with a great effort against the odds but as usual very predictably.

I am now going to break my golden rule and criticise one of our players, Liam Byrne apologies but he just doesn't offer anything.

Here's to the rest of the season
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:51 pm Lesson learned. If you think someone touched your head, refuse to play on and they'll go to he screen.

Plus jumping at a drop goal kicker with arms in the air is *not* playing at the ball. Now we all know that.
Dont forget leg out to stop it also
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:34 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:33 pm Sam Tomkins agrees it was a soft sending off he said "Red card madness"
No one is saying it wasn’t harsh - but you deal with it

Wigan could easily have won that game with 12 men - hull kr have key players out and were there for the taking with a bit of smarts
On paper Wigan the stronger team for my money
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The red card decided that game.
I thought we dug in and gave it our all.
I think Peet gets a lot out of the players he has available to him. We have, I think, 2 marquee spots unused. We rely on developing players too much, which might or might not pay off in time. But if we invest in more quality we will be a very strong team indeed. If only we had a billionaire owner.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He is right. I have no doubt that I would be making Wembley arrangements now but for that ridiculous decision.
Wigan1

Post by Wigan1 »

Why didn’t Peet put Hill on during the match. We were down to 12 players who were tired and he left a fresh player on the bench for the full game.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:58 pm
medlocke wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:56 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:49 pm

Barely any top level experience between our top 3 coaches.

It shows.
You're not wrong there Nathan
Rubbish. This year our defence is letting us down Briers had nothing to do with that.
Our defence is not good enough? We conceded 11 points playing the whole of the second half a man short!