New coaches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Re: New coaches

Post by ddtftf »

If Lam does not get an NRL coaching job at the end of the year he is in charge, there is arrangements in place for him at the club as assistant coach.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

On SKY before the game interview Shaun Edwards hinted that some high profile RU players would like to try their hand in RL. Carney tried to push Edwards into saying who they were but Shaun said he would not commit himself. Just shows how Shaun is respected as a coach when players can commit themselves to turning to RL.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

ddtftf wrote:If Lam does not get an NRL coaching job at the end of the year he is in charge, there is arrangements in place for him at the club as assistant coach.

Interview tonight Shaun said if Lam got the treble he would be assistant to Lam jokingly
endoman

Post by endoman »

jaws1 wrote:
ddtftf wrote:If Lam does not get an NRL coaching job at the end of the year he is in charge, there is arrangements in place for him at the club as assistant coach.

Interview tonight Shaun said if Lam got the treble he would be assistant to Lam jokingly
I'd take Simmonds from Exeter, looks like a RL player in the wrong code!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Sadly the recent annoucments did nothing for the gate 10k at the first super 8s game was an appauling turn out, more turn up to thursday matches
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:Sadly the recent annoucments did nothing for the gate 10k at the first super 8s game was an appauling turn out, more turn up to thursday matches
My own view is the 8s are seen as a waste of time. Wigan will have to fall off cliff form wise now not to quality for the semis and so unless you have a season ticket there is a lot of money to be spent on games that are pretty meaningless.

If we are to have a playoff system forever, I long for a return to the top 5. A seven game 8's as a prelude to the semi's is, I reckon, seen as an expensive luxury for a lot of people. Especially families and especially when it is on Sky.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I do feel for Wane a bit - this mid-season announcement has made it a bit like we are forgetting about this year and just looking forward but im sure knowing wane he will use that as motivation to make sure he wins the GF.
I think the form since Magic is why there is an end of term feeling. Had we carried on with the form of the first half of the season I think it would be different. I think our chance of winning the GF on current form is going to be down to luck with injuries. I think his influence on it is actually going to be minimal unless he is daft enough to do something like pick Powell at 7 if we get to the GF when he could actually lose it for us.

Edwards - well ive commented in the past how i was unsure of him due to the fact he has been out the game for so long, i still have those concerns - however this extra year i think will help because he knows hes coming back and can put some of the ground work in. As a overall deal its great for the club and the game, Edwards is a legend and to have him turn his back on union for us is a great news story. Sadly the RFL are too much of a shower to make the most of it but still the stories there.
I was always in favour of Edwards and I am even more so know having read many comments and tweets from players he has coached in RU. I always thought he did amazingly well to be such a success in RU but also I was not entirely surprised. Having read what I have from players he coached at Wasps, how gutted senior figures in the English RU game are over not getting him involved at Twickers and also all the comments from numerous Welsh players, coaches and their fans I am shocked we even had a chance of signing him he is held in such high esteem.
I thought it was interesting IL saying that him and Rads are responsible for signings, makes me question if rads is cut out for that role
I am not sure he is. The scouting at Wigan seem poor these days compared to the past. The panic signing of Sarge was very poor. Not because I don't rate him but that the club obviously just panicked.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

robbobillinge wrote:Shaun Wane & Shaun Edwards are both in the same boat. Interestingly though, little said about SE's commitment to Welsh RU but some on twitter about SW's commitment to WRLFC. However it is what it is

Oh and by the way-what a brilliant set of appointments-got me back to remembering SE's first home game for Wigan (he was battered iirc), as well as his try under the sticks in'85. Oh and thelittle matter of the fractured cheekbone against Warrington.
Giz could have come to Wigan next season but he is seeing out his contract with Wales, I don't understand the comment re his commitment?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Just watched golden point with Edwards and Lam. Lam hit the nail on the head about Williams how he will develop with being coached by an established half back.
You can tell he knows he can get a lot more out of Williams than Wane can.
Lam and Edwards are saying the right things, if they put their words into action I think we’ve got a lot to look forward to.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

mickw wrote:williams has talent and upto now most of it hasn't been tapped into,

if lam can teach him quickness of thought and decision making then he'll certainly make him better.
And that’s the million dollar question..can that quickness of thought,rugby brain whatever you want to call it actually be taught or is it sheer instinct?