Tonight's Game/Wigan squad for Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Tonight's Game/Wigan squad for Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Miski: Really proud

Abbas Miski reflected on scoring a hat-trick in Wigan Warriors’ victory over Catalans Dragons.

Miski: “We have just spoken then as a team about how proud we are of the whole performance.”

Watch the full match reaction from Abbas Miski on Wigan TV HERE.

Abbas Miski reflected on scoring a hat-trick in Wigan Warriors’ 34-0 victory over league leaders Catalans Dragons at the Stade Gilbert Brutus.

Miski completed his hat-trick at the start of the second half, and speaking on the win, he said: “We are really pleased with the performance as this is a tough place to come against Catalans who are top of the table. We have just spoken then as a team about how proud we are of the whole performance.”

Speaking on the preparation ahead of the trip, Miski said: “It’s hard, but we’ve done this all before. Everything was planned out really well by the club and it’s a great way to spend some extra time with the rest of the boys.”

The Lebanese international has now scored 20 Super League tries this season – the third highest in the competition – and on his hat-trick in Perpignan, Miski said: “They came off the back of some really good field pressure from the team, and then Harry, Bevan and Jai executed their plays really well which is exactly what we wanted to do.”

On the travelling support, Miski said: “I was really surprised as I didn’t think there would be that many Wigan fans. It’s supposed to be a hostile place here with a lot of French fans, however, the Wigan fans being here in those numbers really did help.”

Miski has scored 30 tries in 29 appearances for the Warriors, and reflecting on how far he has come, the winger said: “I’ve always had belief I would get to this point. It isn’t given though so I need to keep working hard in training and playing well.”

Looking ahead to the final four matches of the regular season, Miski said: “This is a really important time of the year which is something we have spoken a lot about. Ideally we want to finish top of the table, but being in the top two would be really good – we just have to take each week as it comes.”

Full match reaction from Matt Peet and Harry Smith is available to watch on Wigan TV HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/08/ ... lly-proud/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:52 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:39 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:08 pm

You would of course be on your highest high horse if anyone had suggested we were stronger because he wasn’t playing, and be giving us page after page after page of holier than thou disparaging “not real fans” comments.
My post had 2 motivations:

1. A bit of fun - as Meds clearly responded to.

2. The anti-Powell posters constantly (and I mean constantly) exercised their right to post their negative views of Sam. I thought I would bring just a tiny bit of balance to bear.

Tbh, I never rated him as a top 9 in SL terms. But he does a job, and he is also part of our on-field leadership/organisation.
As we could lose Isa for 2024, and Cooper is still a bit doubtful, I think Sam is worth keeping for his leadership and experience in an otherwise young team.

O'Neill has been playing well and we have Leeming to come, so we'll see how Matty Peet sees it can me next year.
You don’t debate his merits - instead, you constantly attempt to establish some sort of moral superiority over the people who express their point of view (which none of us has bothered doing for months). You don’t debate the point, you attack the posters. I have no idea what motivates you, and couldn’t care less, but your condescension and arrogance towards others views :lol: :lol: :lol: is something to behold. Either way, there will come a day when Powell will no longer play for the club, and then you will have to find something else to attack Wigan fans for.
The merits have been debated to death. IMO The victimization of Powell is classic over-reaction, group-think, confirmation-bias all rolled into one. He's not the reason we lose, or the reason we win. He has good attributes and bad. Its almost funny to see someone so indignant that others would post about good attributes. Its like its become personal, which the internet does tend to do to people.

If Powell leaves, the victimisation will stop. Its already started with rumours of his potential departure. The only question to answer after that will be whos going to be the next "Powell" - not that whether there will be one, because that is a certainty.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mike wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:53 pm

2. The anti-Powell posters constantly (and I mean constantly) exercised their right to post their negative views of Sam. I thought I would bring just a tiny bit of balance to bear.

Tbh, I never rated him as a top 9 in SL terms. But he does a job, and he is also part of our on-field leadership/organisation.
As we could lose Isa for 2024, and Cooper is still a bit doubtful, I think Sam is worth keeping for his leadership and experience in an otherwise young team.

O'Neill has been playing well and we have Leeming to come, so we'll see how Matty Peet sees it can me next year.
You don’t debate his merits - instead, you constantly attempt to establish some sort of moral superiority over the people who express their point of view (which none of us has bothered doing for months). You don’t debate the point, you attack the posters. I have no idea what motivates you, and couldn’t care less, but your condescension and arrogance towards others views :lol: :lol: :lol: is something to behold. Either way, there will come a day when Powell will no longer play for the club, and then you will have to find something else to attack Wigan fans for.
The merits have been debated to death. IMO The victimization of Powell is classic over-reaction, group-think, confirmation-bias all rolled into one. He's not the reason we lose, or the reason we win. He has good attributes and bad. Its almost funny to see someone so indignant that others would post about good attributes. Its like its become personal, which the internet does tend to do to people.

If Powell leaves, the victimisation will stop. Its already started with rumours of his potential departure. The only question to answer after that will be whos going to be the next "Powell" - not that whether there will be one, because that is a certainty.
Harry Smith as its already started.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Its almost funny to see someone so indignant that others would post about good attributes. Its like its become personal, which the internet does tend to do to people.

Not sure whether I have done the edit bit correctly, and apologies if not, I was trying not to quote multiple prior quotes...

You misunderstand me in this instance. I was making a number of points: first, that it has been a long time since anyone bothered to comment about Powell. I agree no one needs another thread about his shortcomings.

Second, I can’t speak for others, but I have no idea what you mean about something becoming personal. This is a web site for our favourite team, playing a sport. It isn’t life or death, or family. Maybe some projection on your part.

Third, my objection to the original post and this poster is that he attacks the posters, over and over again, rather that debate the player’s merits. He seemingly considers himself in a position constantly to condescend towards other posters. We may debate Powell’s merits all day, but it is something else to patronise and attack those who hold a different view.

Fourth, excessive criticism/scapegoating is indeed something that happens. It happened before Powell, and will happen when he has left the club. Because of human nature. We could, I suppose agree on a no scapegoating policy on here, but I suspect that would be hard to enforce.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:50 am
This is a web site for our favourite team, playing a sport. It isn’t life or death, or family. Maybe some projection on your part.

And this thread is supposed to be about the Catalan game!

Stop the backbiting everyone please.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

watched the 1st half this morning before work

thats what i want to see in a performance, line speed in defence and players running onto a ball in attack. Was it perfect, nope, but not far off and i reckon thats probably the best performance of the season, although Saints on GF would run it close

that should be the bench mark for the rest of the season now as a minimum, and hopefully we'll be able to manage games better in wet weather and get a performance

i still think Cats will finish top, but IMO we need to win our remaining games to keep pressure on them and build momentum into the play-offs
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:08 pm

You would of course be on your highest high horse if anyone had suggested we were stronger because he wasn’t playing, and be giving us page after page after page of holier than thou disparaging “not real fans” comments.

You don’t debate his merits - instead, you constantly attempt to establish some sort of moral superiority over the people who express their point of view (which none of us has bothered doing for months). You don’t debate the point, you attack the posters. I have no idea what motivates you, and couldn’t care less, but your condescension and arrogance towards others views is something to behold. Either way, there will come a day when Powell will no longer play for the club, and then you will have to find something else to attack Wigan fans for.
Wow!! You seem to know me well - better than I do by the sound of it!
I think it may be best if I leave it there.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐