Need I say more??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kol

Re: Need I say more??

Post by Kol »

Ron Doran wrote:Kol - could I be on the Bench?
Of course. You were part of the starting 5 already my friend.
No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
Kol

Post by Kol »

Nezza Faz wrote:Wigan have NO divine right to win anything, especially as this was seen as a re-building season with tons of young kids taking over from vastly experienced performers of long standing.

How we can just expect the team to turn on a Cup-winning tap is not always sensible, when there are other Super League teams aiming just as high as us.
Tell that to our sponsors/future sponsors.
No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan

Not me, I am a supporter of the club!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:cpwigan

Not me, I am a supporter of the club!
Are you saying I am not? :lol:

BTW I have always used this login unlike others :wink:
Stan Dish

Post by Stan Dish »

I’ve read this thread with increasing irritation. I appreciate that (in another world) Alan Hansen said that “you’ll win nowt with kids“ but he was talking about a slightly easier game with less demanding physical requirements.
As a result of watching Wigan over the decades, I have seen lots of players come and go.
Ask yourself a couple of questions. Alright then, six or seven.
Did we have a team as good as it could have been when we had Trent Barrett?
When he first signed for us was Tommy Leuluai as good as the player we lost to the NRL?
Is Charnley one of the most exciting players you’ve seen in a long time?
Is Daz the reason?
Are we missing:-
Finch,Carmont,Hoffman,Hock,Farrell, Edwards,Gregory etc ? (this list is endless)
Is Pat as good at kicking as Punchy Griffiths was ?
Can Sam walk on water ?

I do worry that, as a result of the latest fitness regimes, and the modern demands of the game, the injuries sustained by players do seem to be getting worse. When we field a team where everyone is fit, and we cut out the number of penalties, even our coach deems it “satisfactory”when interviewed. When I watch some of our plays with umpteen attacking waves, and the opposition in a panic, it is simply beautiful to watch. It’s like choreography. Where are young players going to get that experience, except by playing in that team ?
Its in a constant state of evolution. Of course there will be mistakes. The opposition have learnt a thing or two..But every time we field a team we expect to win. -this is Wigan after all. We work out how to deal with threats like Burrow, Sinfield, Percival, Lomax etc. And when they occasionally pull apart our defence,and score, it’s because they’re good, not because we suddenly have the most inept coach in Wigan’s history.(the reason we like to beat Saints is because they‘re a good side, not because they’re rubbish.)
When we get all our players back I think we really will be challenging for all the silverware.
Right now, we have a team that has lost a lot of talent for various reasons,and we are really badly hit with injuries, and we are second in the league. Even if say, Bellamy was our coach I don’t think we would be in a better position.This is not an argument that we have the best coach in the world, but I’ll give SW more than five games before I start dissing him.
Of course none of the above is helped by the fact that one of the side effects of the salary cap is that it isn’t preventing the hemorrhaging of our best talent to other codes.
But,overall, the ’kids’ coming through the academies excites me.
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

I really continue to be amazed at aspects of this thread,I have supported the club and whatever team we have had for over sixty years ,thick and thin, lean and successful,top of the tree and relegation . I do not have any idea what phase we are going through at the moment and although I have not been the best fan of a number of coaches over the years nevertheless they have had my support at the time, and it is only that ,time, which will prove things one way or the other, how true as has been said we do not have the divine right as a club or fans to continually win silverware or be top.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Fully agree with Stan Dish
Wes

Post by Wes »

Excellent post mr dish.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I think this is interesting. I too have just read the post by 'Mr Dish' and am seriously wondering where he has been before? Here is a poster that I do not recognise and yet posts with intelligence and poise.
Can I just make a plea to anyone who reads these threads but doesn't post for whatever reason, that they do. All posts should be treated with the respect they deserve, whatever the opinion and occasionally, you get a well written and very readable post like that of Mr Dish's.

Stan, you have no excuse now. You simply have to post more.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

29wes28 wrote:Excellent post mr dish.
This is all well and good but did not Mr. Dish recently run away with the spoon? Can he be trusted?

Good luck for tonight guys - if we do beat "Les Grenouilles" we will have done really well.