Tomkins Leaving - Official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Tomkins Leaving - Official

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote:If Cats get relegated will it be the end of his England career.Or is it already over?
Stick a fork in him, he's done :D
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

pearsy wrote:If Cats get relegated will it be the end of his England career.Or is it already over?
Id be shocked if Cats go down and id be even more shocked if Sam doesn't have a clause in his contract for if they do
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Flash wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Wes wrote:Personally I feel both parties have done right for themselves. I don’t think either party has done anything wrong.
Sam hasn't done anything wrong but the club has been unprofessional. It offered him a deal to re-sign in 2015 and then decided it wanted to change the nature of that deal. And while the statement about Les Cats making an illegal approach is no doubt true just how naive are those running the club to think this won't happen?
Again you are absolutely wrong Dave. They have not changed the nature of the deal at all. It was ALWAYS 3 years with 1 year option in the clubs favour. They have chosen not to take up that option. Your 'spins' are becoming increasing desperate just to paint the club in a bad light. Why? Where does this determination to think the worst of the club come from?

Fair enough if you think we should have kept Sam at any cost. That's your prerogative. You seem to be in a very small minority in this view but that's neither here nor there. You're entitled to your opinion. The fact remains, though, that your objections aren't really about that but more about belittling the club at every opportunity regardless if the facts of the situation. I'm sure I can't be alone in saying I simply don't get your motivation.

I have worked with employment contract law, even having had occasion to take them through the courts. I can categorically tell you that, from what is public domain, the accusations you are making cannot be made. There is no unprofessionalism, bad faith or indeed any other emotive terminology you wish to bandy about attached to this negotiation. None.

If you wish to argue that you think Sam should have stayed, perhaps you need to take it up with Sam himself. It seems it's his choice to pursue this course and, to be honest, his reasons are perfectly valid ones.

You're not.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Id be shocked if Cats go down and id be even more shocked if Sam doesn't have a clause in his contract for if they do
Brian Noble said something on Saturday or Sunday, can't remember what it was off hand but it really sounded like he knew Toronto and another would be in an expanded 14 team SL
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

It's called sport people, good luck to Sam, in my opinion when he has worn our shirt he has never let us down which is all I can ask for. The Wigan club will go on with or without Sam, that is all I need to know!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

One of the problems at Wigan at the moment is the crowd, with season tickets down. I know quite a few people that's didn't renew this season. so which of these would make them think about renewing.

Sam signs a new 4 year deal as a Marquee player, ruling out a new big signing and no new scrum half as Sam doesn't want to play at scrum half.

Or the signing of Zak Hardaker. Everyone knows his potential but its interesting to see how he would play and if he could stay clean.

New players brings new interest to the club, which makes people think about getting a season ticket.

If Wigan announced the signing of Todd Carney, a lot of people would be interested to see how it went. It would be intresting to see how he would go on at a big club with a winning pack. Not that he would sign, but it shows that maybe the club are looking at a new big signing to bring people back to the club.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Wes wrote:Personally I feel both parties have done right for themselves. I don’t think either party has done anything wrong.
Sam hasn't done anything wrong but the club has been unprofessional. It offered him a deal to re-sign in 2015 and then decided it wanted to change the nature of that deal. And while the statement about Les Cats making an illegal approach is no doubt true just how naive are those running the club to think this won't happen?
Again you are absolutely wrong Dave. They have not changed the nature of the deal at all. It was ALWAYS 3 years with 1 year option in the clubs favour. They have chosen not to take up that option. Your 'spins' are becoming increasing desperate just to paint the club in a bad light. Why? Where does this determination to think the worst of the club come from?
If you signed a deal with your employer that said they will pay you £x for three years then they have the option to employ you for another year in 2019 at £x but they then turned round to you and said we are not going to take the option up but will offer you a deal on less money for 2019 you'd throw a hissy fit.

You and no one else would arguing that this was an OK thing to do. The fact the club has not taken the option up doesn't alter the fact they wanted him to pay for less money for 2019 than the option would have paid him.

If anyone on here tells me they would be happy to accept that and would not have turned around and said "no, if you want me for 2019 take the option and we will take it from there" I simply do not believe them.

jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

jao 711 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Flash wrote: Again you are absolutely wrong Dave. They have not changed the nature of the deal at all. It was ALWAYS 3 years with 1 year option in the clubs favour. They have chosen not to take up that option. Your 'spins' are becoming increasing desperate just to paint the club in a bad light. Why? Where does this determination to think the worst of the club come from?
If you signed a deal with your employer that said they will pay you £x for three years then they have the option to employ you for another year in 2019 at £x but they then turned round to you and said we are not going to take the option up but will offer you a deal on less money for 2019 you'd throw a hissy fit.

You and no one else would arguing that this was an OK thing to do. The fact the club has not taken the option up doesn't alter the fact they wanted him to pay for less money for 2019 than the option would have paid him.

If anyone on here tells me they would be happy to accept that and would not have turned around and said "no, if you want me for 2019 take the option and we will take it from there" I simply do not believe them. But you still have the option to sign a contract elsewhere.That’s what”Bosman”was all about.Sam didn’t have to accept what was offered.Remember this is probably his last playing contract.
. But you still have the option to sign a contract elsewhere.That’s what “Bosman”was all about.Sam didn’t have to accept what was offered.Remember this is probably his last playing contract.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Tomkins Q&A part 1: Why he is leaving ... and what if Catalans are relegated

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9166129
Sam Tomkins has opened his heart about his decision to leave Wigan at the end of the season. He turned down an offer to extend his stay with his hometown club to join Catalans, whose interest was revealed in the Wigan Observer six weeks ago.**
** After either seeing the link below or in the Rumour Mill on here 3/4/2018 http://www.totalrl.com/catalans-dragons ... kins-coup/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Tomkins Q&A part 2: Telling Wane, the impact on his Wigan legacy, and his ambitions

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9166123
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan