Squad for Wednesday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Squad for Wednesday

Post by nathan_rugby »

jackthelad wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:12 am
bertina wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:29 pm
jackthelad wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:09 pm

How do you know a SL club didn't?

Maybe Dan can confirm the contract details or how much money clubs had to cover his contract?

Much more involved than we know eh?
FFS, give it up with your Hankinson digs.
He’s crap!!!!!.
If he wasn’t, someone other than you would have seen it and signed him.
Interesting opinion, he's better than what's on display recently!!

Many others on several threads have made the comment "why is Hank not being recalled?"

It's quite irrelevant right now, for you to be so aggressive is unsavoury & disappointing, he has contributed to many games which made a difference to us winning those games!!

Just saying. Goodnight
You are clearly a relative or close friend of Hankinson.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Although it’s easy to point the finger at a few things Hastings did or didn’t do at fullback, I think it’s unfair. It’s an unfamiliar position, a very difficult one with aspects to the game he won’t have ever played before.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Id rather have Hankinson at centre than Isa, plus you could move Isa to the pack so the young lads arent getting battered every week
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:17 am Although it’s easy to point the finger at a few things Hastings did or didn’t do at fullback, I think it’s unfair. It’s an unfamiliar position, a very difficult one with aspects to the game he won’t have ever played before.
Exactly, it isn’t his fault he’s playing there because he will do it for the team. The fault lies with lam putting him there when it clearly doesn’t work and he has an actual FB in the squad. We are then clueless in the halves, if everyone can see it I’m struggling to see why lam can’t. I think smith is a decent young player but the pressure on him is too much at the moment and senior players should be helping him more. I also thought ST knew a lot about RL but before the game he said everything will go through TL and he will boss the game….has he been watching any games? Other than his D he offers very little in attack. Struggling to see how we can turn this season round other than making a couple more signings and getting a new coach, which neither will happen.
culinator

Post by culinator »

I havent read the 18 pages of what others thought

For me i actually didnt mind this game at all, they played with some passion and enthusiasm, yes the execution wasnt great some(most) of the time but they played like they wanted it. That for me makes a whole world of difference win or lose.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Problem with Tommy is how predictable he is.

He basically just catches and passes it without any chance of taking the line on or putting a forward through a gap.

What that means is the defence don’t need to be compact and can be more spread out which makes it difficult for Smith / Hastings creating space for players further wide.

The amount of times our wingers or centres caught the ball in no space tells the whole story.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Mixed emotions after yesterday's result.

On the brightside, KPP looks extremely promising for me, makes good yards and always looks to offload. I thought Willie Isa made good yards and ran with enthusiasm too. I personally think Joe Shorrocks has good hands and would like to see how he goes at 13 (unlikely though).

I must admit I thought we'd win yesterday. I sat in the North Stand with Wire fans and it was a good atmosphere....if anything else. Good to see other Warriors in the Stand too!

Even before KO, I wasn't inspired with Jackson at FB! Some halves naturally switch between 1 and 6/7 and it works, it just doesn't for me with Jackson. I thought he looked uncomfortable yesterday. To his credit, he looks good coming into the attacking line inside the opposition 10, excluding this, its not for me. It would be like playing Matty Smith at FB.

As for Lam and Wigan. What stood out yesterday behind the sticks (to me), was how demoralised the entire team looked. Despite the fact we had seasoned, experienced players, it looked like we missed the overall leadership of O'Loughlin (someone to steady the ship).

Injuries do play there part, no one can dispute this as do suspensions. I've been a huge advocate of Lam and although many like to point out he has lost significant matches, I don't think he has been as poor as previously claimed.

What I would ask now is, has he lost the changing room? I've always said we could have and can find more experienced coaches and maybe now its proving too much.

Chris Hankinson isn't going to solve this btw......even with a 1000% conversion rate!

Wouldn't like to see Harry Smith take too much of a confidence blow! Tommy certainly needs to retire this season and he might be Wigan through and through and work hard but Sam Powell just isn't good enough.

I didn't see Lam's post-match interview, the concern for me wasn't defeat, it was how it came about.

Fingers crossed for the weekend!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

What's the good news? Well, it wasn't as bad as we all expected!, which doesn't sound like good news to me.

It's all fairly academic. Lam doesn't coach a side and isn't going to change.
KPP was excellent in attack but less so in defence. Shorrocks was busy and seemed to keep going but the rest of the team looked completely drained by 60 minutes. We won several of our 7 matches at the start of the season because we were fitter but that seems to have gone. Hastings has to play in the halves where he can have some input to our attack and as we are tinkering with playing people out of position, why not move Smith to FB? Our young forwards look shot and their development has not just stopped but is taking them backwards.

I suppose the big thing is that players are making the same mistakes as they always did - Bibby under the high ball when challenged - Isa jumping out of the line - poor tactical kicking from everyone but we used to get away with it because of a well-drilled defence. That has evaporated as has our ability to follow a player who makes a break - Byrne last night. Add to that, Farrell apparently being moved to loose-forward for part of the match which loses out in both defence and attack on the left and we look like an accident waiting to happen.

Everyone remembers the bad old days - the problem is that these are the bad old days come to haunt us again. Sides don't even have to play well to beat us. Warrington certainly weren't at their best last night but sadly, expect more of the same until we get a coach with tactical awareness, a defence co-ordinator and someone to regain the fitness levels. In other words - the set-up that we had (and most teams still have) when we were successful.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:22 am Problem with Tommy is how predictable he is.

He basically just catches and passes it without any chance of taking the line on or putting a forward through a gap.

What that means is the defence don’t need to be compact and can be more spread out which makes it difficult for Smith / Hastings creating space for players further wide.

The amount of times our wingers or centres caught the ball in no space tells the whole story.
I keep seeing this about Tommy and I don’t disagree but I hate to say it Smith is just as bad at times he does look better if he’s with Hastings no doubt about that but he’s picking up some bad habits if he’s not careful
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

culinator wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:15 am I havent read the 18 pages of what others thought

For me i actually didnt mind this game at all, they played with some passion and enthusiasm, yes the execution wasnt great some(most) of the time but they played like they wanted it. That for me makes a whole world of difference win or lose.
Thank you 😊

I didn’t expect this win but the effort put in has to be appreciated, especially from the young lads who shouldn’t be playing these amount of minutes IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan