HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ipinwigan

Re: HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Post by Ipinwigan »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:11 am It's clear to anyone with half a brain that Peet took on the coaching job too soon in his career.

He needed at least another 2 or 3 seasons under someone's wing, preferably a top notch Aussie coach who can bring in modern methods.

IL did what he has done for a long time and brought in people "on the cheap". Sorry if that offends those who think our nearest star shines out of a certain orifice of the current Chairman, but those are the facts.

If we are to get progress at the club then Danson needs to be ruthless. Bring in an Aussie coach (as yes they are streets ahead of us- they have to be), pay him well and get rid of the Jobs for the Boys culture at Wigan. Time for the "Old Guard", and anyone connected to them to move on.

It simply isn't working.
Totally agree.
Get a new coaching team in, to bring in fresh ideas.
We also need a Big Prop and good Stand-off.
If we ever want to become the Greatest Rugby League Club once again major changes are needed.
Over to you Mr Danson
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

bertina wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:48 am
ian.birchall wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 am Until reading the comments and caught up in watching the match I hadn't realised that Hill hadn't got onto the pitch when we were running out if gas in the second half. Not the first time we have done that this season. You should start a match with 13/17 fit players because generally you won't finish with everyone able to give 100%.
Two big mistakes by the coaching team, just like in the play off last season against Leeds.
Inexcusable from Peet in my opinion. Our forwards were blowing out of their a**es in that last 15 minutes, and he's got a fresh prop on the bench doing nothing. WHY !!!
And while I'm on about Peet, I'm sick of reading the same drivel every time we lose. " It hurts, I'm proud of them all, can't fault the effort, we knew they were a good team.
What about: I messed up , too many offloads (again), terrible last tackle options, etc etc.
I'm beginning to lose patience with him. A blind man can see French at 6 isn't working, but he refuses to change it. We signed Hampshire, what for ??. The lack of creativeity is killing us. It's a moment of individual flair by Field or French, or one out rugby set after set. It's dire to watch, but more importantly easy to defend.
With all the contacts we have, surely we can find a decent stand off somewhere. God knows it won't be hard to improve on what we have at the moment.
This part of the coaching decisions was a significant factor in the loss, hope they learn from it as similar decisions have been made recently. Notably Hull away, keeping Nsemba off the pitch until 5 minutes left and last week, giving Nsemba and Hill very short stints when the other guys could have done with a rest. Criminal to do it in the semi with 2 forwards already unavailable due to injury and the red.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Just heard shorrocks isnt banned(250 quid fine).So was it a sending off offence? Most definitely not
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:54 pm Just heard shorrocks isnt banned(250 quid fine).So was it a sending off offence? Most definitely not
Jeez, talk about adding insult to injury ;)

I did think Bevan or Miski could get a ban for that other challenge,
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:59 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:54 pm Just heard shorrocks isnt banned(250 quid fine).So was it a sending off offence? Most definitely not
Jeez, talk about adding insult to injury ;)

I did think Bevan or Miski could get a ban for that other challenge,
Miskis was slightly worse but defo no ban.
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The one positional change I'd make is Peet to assistant, Wane to head coach.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Flash

Post by Flash »

Where have you seen this mate? I can't find anything on it.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:08 am
Flash wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:44 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:34 pm Red cards do not determine the outcome of games!!!!!! Ffs!!!!

If a red card was the limiting factor of a result we wouldn’t be in the f****in semi in the first place!

Stop making excuses for the team being shit and unable to control a game they had already won!!!
So tell me my friend, if that's the case, what percentage of teams playing a full half or more whilst a man down go on to win the match? If what you're saying is true, it would be at least 50%. I think you'll find it's closer to single figures than 50%.
Shall i tell you from this season?

In this season there have been 8 Red Cards i can find before this game

In those game which a red card was shown only 3 of those games were lost - and 2 of those 3 games the red came in the final minutes and the other was a wakefield vs wire game when wire were red hot and wakefield couldnt score a point

you know what happened in all the rest???? the red carded team won!

3 of these were in the first half that its noted - i dont have the detail of the others

1 of them was against us leeds went a man down in the first half trailing 14-8 won the game 40-18

so there you go a 62% success rate this season for teams that receive a red card

so i reiterate RED CARDS DONT DECIDE MATCHS!!
Red cards do decide matches. They just haven't as much this season. You're taking a very limited sample size there mate. Do you think we would have won the Ben Flower final had he not be sent off for example?

The fact is, it depends on the individual game. If the game isn't as intense (as has been the case in the matches this season) it matters less. When the game is intense, as in yesterday's case, it matters MASSIVELY!

We were gassed in that final period when KR got back into the game and ultimately won in Golden point. We were literally out in our feet.

If the extra player didn't matter, why, in the entire history of the game, has no coach ever started with 12 players? I'll tell you why. Because having a player less on the park would reduce your chances of winning. I'm surprised you're struggling with such a simple concept to be honest.

If you're saying that playing a man down doesn't necessarily mean you lose, then I would agree but it depends on the match. Yesterday was clearly a case where it did matter. Unless you think we would have been that gassed anyway in which case I would respectfully disagree.
Karl Carpenter

Post by Karl Carpenter »

Flash wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:28 pm
Troll Twitter account “@RFL_Discipline”?
Karl Carpenter

Post by Karl Carpenter »

Karl Carpenter wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:05 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:28 pm
Troll Twitter account “@RFL_Discipline”? “ Wigan Warriors player Joe Shorrocks has been charged with a Grade A ‘high tackle’ and fined £250 following his team’s game against LEIGH LEOPARDS on 23rd July 2023.”