Chris Ashton and Our Centre's

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Re: Chris Ashton and Our C...

Post by Matthew »

cpwigan posted:
Do not rate him. Sorry.

Just to add. Bailey is a FORMER test player and a FORMER State of Origin Rep. Former being some years past. Likewise, Fletcher was. I believe this to be a common failing in SL. Signing players on past reputations. The Fletcher that played for Aus / NSW was a very different player to the one we got. Likewise Bailey.
Like I said - whilst not spectacular; Bailey does a good honest job - which is more than can be said for some of our team.

Whilst he may be a FORMER test player - there are numerous players in our team that at their peak wouldn't be good enough to represent their country.

Bailey scored the match winner against Leeds and scored a brace against Bradford - so that is two games where he made a difference. The only difference that DV has made during his time here has been whether we break the salary cap or not.

Like I said, he may not be our star player; but in the current era of salary cap restricted signings Bailey is a long way from giving the worst value for money
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

- psycho - posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
[Goulding may deserve a start but Colbon and Stanton ain't going to scare anybody. And as for McIllorum at centre.... :lol: :eh:
colbon and stanton both have pace. colbon chased down kevin penny, so he's slow right? or where you sat on your a**e at home not giving a damn?

as for mcllorum, i didn't say start him in the centres, what i mean is, he can quite easily cover that position, he has the build and phsique of a centre and he isnt short of a bit of pace. it's just an option incase any backs get injured or they get snipered from the south.
No need to get riled up sonny. And yes I was sat at home not giving a damn. Anybody who willingly gave their hard earned money to a club like Warrington - or indeed any of the clubs that conspire to hate us so much - is an idiot, as is anybody who thinks throwing more kids at our problem is the solution.

You mention pace in Colbon like it's the only thing that matters. If that were true Craig Calvert would play for GB.

And as for McIlorum in the centre, as cover or anything else..... :lol: . He ain't no Berrigan yet, boy.
moffsta

Post by moffsta »

cpwigan posted:
Do not rate him. Sorry.

Just to add. Bailey is a FORMER test player and a FORMER State of Origin Rep. Former being some years past. Likewise, Fletcher was. I believe this to be a common failing in SL. Signing players on past reputations. The Fletcher that played for Aus / NSW was a very different player to the one we got. Likewise Bailey.
As some people on ere have said, Phil Bailey seems to WANT to play for wigan and seems to play with bags of heart. as for this "former" test players being our downfall how do you explain Barrett?

Bails was bought i presume, to strengthen up our defence. Nobby's tactics are more defence and then the scoring of tries will look after themselves. it just seems to me we ain't looking that creative in attack. we just can't count on Baz to keep coming up with the goods week in week out and getting us out the mire.

Bails works his ass off defensively imo and his work rate is one of the best in the squad.

i'm sure , correct me if i'm wrong but at one point when wire scored a try Fielden and Hock let there attack just stroll right through our defence. it seems to me like there's a lack of communication in the team. we all know they're good enough players but if ya each don't know what the others doing then we're gonna get a right royal spanking every time :conf:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that we needed to sign a centre. We did not do so. We signed a backrower. So we added a second rower to a very poor attacking left centre. The cost of our 2 centres? Not cheap. Expensive? Value for money?

By the end of this season we will have a young promising right centre (Goulding) and we will need a quality left centre. That means Bailey is not even needed at centre.

Second row? We have ample cover in that department. Lots of young British second rowers to partner Hock. Most are right sided. Bailey can only play on the right side. So we are now paying Bailey very good money to cover the position we are strong in.

Personally, imports should be outstanding and they should cover your weaknesses in key positions. It seems to me we are paying top money to an import because he tries hard and is a nice man :conf: Is that what we have fallen to? Is that why we are so poor?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Not much difference to the side you play on really. When your in 2nd row you can roam about abit.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Huge difference. Nearly all prefer one side to the other. Bailey is incredibly right sided, even when he played loose forward down under. Hock is the opposite. Barrett is our most gifted player and even he is predominantly right sided.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

cpwigan posted:
It seems to me we are paying top money to an import because he tries hard and is a nice man :conf: Is that what we have fallen to? Is that why we are so poor?
As opposed to top money for 3 years for a centre who has broken the line half a dozen times in his tenure and is weak defensively.

Whilst you may not like Bailey - he is a lot better player (and better value) than DV.

And even if he wasn't; I would be more forgiving as he seems to want to play for Wigan!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Matthew posted:
cpwigan posted:
It seems to me we are paying top money to an import because he tries hard and is a nice man :conf: Is that what we have fallen to? Is that why we are so poor?
As opposed to top money for 3 years for a centre who has broken the line half a dozen times in his tenure and is weak defensively.

Whilst you may not like Bailey - he is a lot better player (and better value) than DV.

And even if he wasn't; I would be more forgiving as he seems to want to play for Wigan!
I agree Matthew. DV might have slightly improved this season but he will be on more than Bailey. He is right up there with Seu seu as the worst value for money signings we have ever made.
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

I agree with you we signed a backrower when we should of had a centre.No we are not strong in the second row fletch is a prop and hock isnt having his best season for positions for next season it should be

1.new signing
2.colbon or new signing
3.new signing
4.goulding
5.richards
6.barrett
7.leulaui
8.fielden
9.higham
10.coley(if we buy him)prescott/o'carrol
11.hock
12.bailey
13.lockers
subs
14.feka
15.mclorum
16.hansen
17.im not sure of

these are not shirt number.this is the team i would play.so we have DV's huge salary and fletch who is probably on a big salary. to fill 2/3 spots.we all seem to be blaming to forwards when the 3/4 line isnt preformming

There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

So to recap, who is going next season? or potentially going??

Dave
Fletcher
Calderwood
Ashton

Leaving us room to bring in a fullback and centre (as bailey we would assume will go to 2nd row... and a prop

Wold like to see Stanton partner the new Centre with richards/Goulding partnership personally.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame