Re: Oh dear trouble at mill?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
botica

Re: Oh dear trouble at mil...

Post by botica »

attendances droped at Wigan when Wigan were winning everything. Its not as exciting if the win is a sure thing...
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I know, but surely we weren't as bad as that lot. Plus we were far more successful in terms of silverware, almost purely because there was so much on offer in those days.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

botica posted:
attendances droped at Wigan when Wigan were winning everything. Its not as exciting if the win is a sure thing...
Not true: our attendances really only dropped after the 94/95 Grand Slam season (14.5k) and the switch to summer rugby.

It dropped to just under 12k for the shortened season of 95/96, then dropped again to just over 10k for SL1, and again to under 9k for SL2.

Only really started increasing in 2003, from 10k then to 14.5k now.

I don't think performances on the pitch had much to do with it; the change to summer, and then the change to the JJB from CP had much more effect.

Incidentally, back in the early 80's I'd say we were averaging about 5-7k !

give me time to do some research and I'll post our average attendances since 1980!