Carmont signed - official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
standishwarrior

Re: Carmont signed - offic...

Post by standishwarrior »

Wigan Watcher posted:
Cruncher posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
So we have signed a potentially over the hill player, I say potentially because of his age. This is mere speculation but how many good centres do you know who are not going backwards in their careers at the age of 29 who play centre, I would say every player of this age playing centre has lost speed over the years.

I see another possible white elephant here!
He can only be a 'white elephant' if he turns out to be crap after he's been hailed as the next best thing and has cost us a fortune.

He hasn't cost us much, and no-one is claiming that he's a world-beater. He's a squad player, that's all. Not only that, it sounds as if the money we've saved on him will be spent on another - slightly bigger - signing, maybe to be announced in the next couple of weeks.
I can only agree with most you have commented on. However any player that comes to Wigan that is no good is a white elephant in my eyes. We are talking about Wigan and in any position that we may find are selves in does not warrant signing sub standard players. I don’t pay sub standard money to get into the ground!

you've obviously forgot how much was left on the salery cap then.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

dawbz posted:
Why so negative?, i personally have not seen much of this guy and will only pass judgement when he steps onto the field, from what i have read on his profile i think he will do a good job for us.
Give the guy a chance for gods sake.
He will be given every chance and supported fully no one has said any different, only facts have been discussed.

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Wigan Watcher posted:
Cruncher posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
So we have signed a potentially over the hill player, I say potentially because of his age. This is mere speculation but how many good centres do you know who are not going backwards in their careers at the age of 29 who play centre, I would say every player of this age playing centre has lost speed over the years.

He can only be a 'white elephant' if he turns out to be crap after he's been hailed as the next best thing and has cost us a fortune.

He hasn't cost us much, and no-one is claiming that he's a world-beater. He's a squad player, that's all. Not only that, it sounds as if the money we've saved on him will be spent on another - slightly bigger - signing, maybe to be announced in the next couple of weeks.
I can only agree with most you have commented on. However any player that comes to Wigan that is no good is a white elephant in my eyes. We are talking about Wigan and in any position that we may find are selves in does not warrant signing sub standard players. I don’t pay sub standard money to get into the ground!
We don't know whether he is substandard yet. I suggest we all reserve judgment.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

not very big for a centre,neither was dean bell.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Cruncher posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:

Judge the player on what you see next season. People seem to judge players before theyve played for us. Ive never seen him infact i had never heared of him before and i will give him a chance.

Though white elephant DV was for the majority of his contract last 6-7 weeks of the seaosn he was one of the best centres in SL. That might say a lot aobut the standard of centres in SL though.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

thegimble posted:
Cruncher posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:

Judge the player on what you see next season. People seem to judge players before theyve played for us. Ive never seen him infact i had never heared of him before and i will give him a chance.
Never seen him play (not that I know of anyway). Hopefully, he's one of the decent imports - no reason to think he won't be.
Though white elephant DV was for the majority of his contract last 6-7 weeks of the seaosn he was one of the best centres in SL. That might say a lot aobut the standard of centres in SL though.
DV was meant to be a brilliant player when it was announced he was joining us. Like you said, it took until the latter part of last season before he showed anything at all.

Carmont is going to be a LOT cheaper for us by all accounts.

I wanted us to get a centre who could bring Calderwood into the game more in attack. We've seen nothing like the attacking game he showed at Leeds. Bailey just doesn't create the platform for him.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Take a read at a few of these beauties

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showt ... p?t=188267
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Never mind the references are written on a site that makes rlfans look intelligent. Posts that were written with sour grapes cos he is leaving the rat race to come north of the equator. What I have seen of him he will fit in well with the team. It is not what you do individually but what you do when you gel with the team. Mason may be wonderboy but he is too individualistic to achieve it as an ace player. Others really shine when their skills compliment the other team members. We have to many great individualists coming over. Give me a team player every time, HC