Lockers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Lockers

Post by jaws1 »

- psycho - wrote:quite frankly i do not give a damn, anyone in the 17 who is going to rile the lads up, tell me, tackling ability aside and the fact he set two tries up at hudds, what quality does o'loughlin bring as a captain!?
Name me another Captain without getting into a slanging match who would YOU pick as Captain never mind dont give a damn anyone in the 17 will do .
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote: And who would you pick as Captain ????????????????????/
I don't understand replies like the above. Just because we might not have a suitable alternative does not mean Lockers is a good captain does it?

It seems to me the pro-lockers-for-captain people are reduced to arguing there is no alternative rather than just admit he has over the past two seasons been shown not to be an on-field leader.

Dave
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

a captain organises a team. a captain talks to his players, and when needed he'll shout! a captain leads by example. which of those boxes is o'loughlin ticking to persuade you to keep him as captain!? i remember in 2006 at hull away, and o'loughlin was stood doing nothing and fletcher gave the team an absolute rollocking. he's to shy to do that.

fielden has had plenty practice at being a captain! he's constantly pointing. however i feel this is a bad decision, as it would just be another burden added to his already p**s poor game at the moment.

hock- will shout, but will it make sense?

higham - emotionate player, but doesnt have the x factor, and needs to sort his game out.

barrett, hmmmm, it's a risk, but could pay off, he may enjoy the responsibility.

i hate to compare o'loughlin to farrell, but i really do wish he'd speak up, because he just isnt portraying a captain role model for me.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
mickh

Post by mickh »

It's too late now, but last season I mentioned that Ashton reminded me of when Shaun Edwards first started playing for Wigan , shouting at his team mates, wanting the ball, Edwards was no great shakes when he first started but he new where he was going.
Imo, Ashton had a similar gift, only time will tell, Ashton wanted to play for Wigan but the heirachy thought no, being a young upstart.
It's a different regime now but as I say imo. Ashton would have made a good captain of our team if only for the aggression and vocal content.
Does anyone agree?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote:
- psycho - wrote:quite frankly i do not give a damn, anyone in the 17 who is going to rile the lads up, tell me, tackling ability aside and the fact he set two tries up at hudds, what quality does o'loughlin bring as a captain!?
Name me another Captain without getting into a slanging match who would YOU pick as Captain never mind dont give a damn anyone in the 17 will do .
Again this is not relevant. If we can't find someone who fits the bill of a captain in the 17 we need to go out and recruit one. Not just stick with Lockers because as a club we do not currently employ a player who is captain material.

Turf's suggestion is as good as any. Fielden was rubbish today but I do remember the way he was when he first signed in our "relegation" season. Lots of chest-beating, shouting encouragement and generally inspiring body language. Lockers has never done this and in those games that helped us stay up Fielden behaved more like a captain than Lockers has ever done.

Unfortunately Fielden seems to have his own problems now that means he isn't the inspiring player he was. Still no reason to stick with Lockers.

Dave
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

DaveO wrote:
jaws1 wrote: And who would you pick as Captain ????????????????????/
I don't understand replies like the above. Just because we might not have a suitable alternative does not mean Lockers is a good captain does it?

It seems to me the pro-lockers-for-captain people are reduced to arguing there is no alternative rather than just admit he has over the past two seasons been shown not to be an on-field leader.

Dave
Dave
I am not knocking Lockers he is a Wigan born player with his heart in the right place and would take his place in any team i was only replying to Physco and Medlocke who was knocking him and asked them who would they pick as captain.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

jaws1, im not saying anyone else can do better, it's worth a go to see the results. but because we don't have another adiquite captain, doesn't mean o'loughlin IS captain material.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

- psycho - wrote:jaws1, im not saying anyone else can do better, it's worth a go to see the results. but because we don't have another adiquite captain, doesn't mean o'loughlin IS captain material.
If its any consolation to you i think that Lockers game would improve if the captaincy was releived from him .
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The team is bereft of leadership.

Re Silverwood. No captain takes any notice of what referees say in terms of then speaking to their team. What a good captain does is use the opportunity to put what he wants to say on the agenda, in the mind of the referee. Referees are there to be intimidated/cajoled by captains.

Wally Lewis was great at intimidating referees, Ellery Hanley at cajoling them.

There are no natural leaders in this team. Some suggestions are crazy. I rate Hocky the player but as a captain. Hocky is quiet and ill at ease speaking to people.
turf

Post by turf »

I reckon that had Ashton stayed with Wigan then captaincy would have suited him because he always liked a natter/towards the referees.

Seriously, though, would he have made what you would call a "good" captain, with the amount of backchat he gave to referees.

The amount of times he was sin binned suggests (spelling?) no.

What does anyone else think? DaveO.