Worst fullback since Doc Murray

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Re: Worst fullback since Doc M...

Post by Matthew »

mikey wrote:Get of his back for gods sake ,Ashton was totally useless ,arrogant empty headed teenager.There was 12 other similar players ahead of him tonight.Oh the useless dumb empty headed HOCK who made sure last week he didnt want to play.No mention of doc murray against Leeds!
Are you related to Mathers?

No one is attacking Mathers personally - I am sure he is a great bloke - however his performance tonight was shocking and no amount of cherry tinted specs will cover it up.

I am not a professional RL player; however I am pretty sure that the way to stop a 2nd rower running straight at you is to move towards them and to try tackle his legs to stop him running - not to stand still, pat him on the shoulder as he walks around you, before jogging behind him to the try line with a pained look of surprise on your face.

Hock may not be a brain surgeon; however he usually does stupid things when he gets frustrated due to the diabolical performances that his teammates are turning in - at least he has some passion.

On tonight's performance; I don't think that the score line would have been that different had I been at FB.

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
turf

Post by turf »

Matthew wrote:
mikey wrote:Get of his back for gods sake ,Ashton was totally useless ,arrogant empty headed teenager.There was 12 other similar players ahead of him tonight.Oh the useless dumb empty headed HOCK who made sure last week he didnt want to play.No mention of doc murray against Leeds!
Are you related to Mathers?

No one is attacking Mathers personally - I am sure he is a great bloke - however his performance tonight was shocking and no amount of cherry tinted specs will cover it up.

I am not a professional RL player; however I am pretty sure that the way to stop a 2nd rower running straight at you is to move towards them and to try tackle his legs to stop him running - not to stand still, pat him on the shoulder as he walks around you, before jogging behind him to the try line with a pained look of surprise on your face.

Hock may not be a brain surgeon; however he usually does stupid things when he gets frustrated due to the diabolical performances that his teammates are turning in - at least he has some passion.

On tonight's performance; I don't think that the score line would have been that different had I been at FB.
The bit in bold is what we were missing tonight - in abundance.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I stated when we signed him that he was not a good defensive fullback in any way. He made his name at Leeds as a support player.

Someone on here, can't remember who, slated me for stating my opinion.

The guy has no bottle, and no technique at all. At 24, you don't teach players how to tackle, and heart is something you have or you don't.

If we have him on a 1 year deal with an option to extend it, let him go. If we are stuck with him, we're in the poop.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Couldnt agree more Chris,just let him go.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

I think the contract he came with was play this season and see if the knees hold up and his contract would be from next season .From what i have seen of him he has only had one good game against Leeds away the rest he has been mediocre dont renew his contract.
mickh

Post by mickh »

Brad, we saw the first match at Harlequins and said the same things, he has no "bottle" or tackling technique, other teams can see this, we are playing with a team of 12 players at the moment (I'm not going into the plusses or minuses of the other players) the man? is useless.
Mikey, he didn't play any better at Leeds, just that the 12 players in front of him played as a "team", why did he give Colbon a ro*****ing when he, Mathers, was at fault by being out of position, again? in that match. The man? is a bully who is frightened to face up to his own rugby league inadequacies.
What was that back slapping "I'm a team member" senario against Harlequins at home all about?
No I don't like him.
turf

Post by turf »

mickh wrote:Brad, we saw the first match at Harlequins and said the same things, he has no "bottle" or tackling technique, other teams can see this, we are playing with a team of 12 players at the moment (I'm not going into the plusses or minuses of the other players) the man? is useless.
Mikey, he didn't play any better at Leeds, just that the 12 players in front of him played as a "team", why did he give Colbon a ro*****ing when he, Mathers, was at fault by being out of position, again? in that match. The man? is a bully who is frightened to face up to his own rugby league inadequacies.
What was that back slapping "I'm a team member" senario against Harlequins at home all about?
No I don't like him.
In all honesty mickh, I didn't see this particular incident, but Wigan have had players giving each other rollickings before.

Anyone remember the Fielden/Ashton incident under the posts at Salford last year or year before last?
mickh

Post by mickh »

Hello Turf, I accept that players give each other ro******ngs, it is part and parcel of the game, or it should be, but the incident on the occasion at Leeds, Colbon had done nothing wrong, in fact he saved a certain try! A slap on the back would have been more appropriate :D saying that he rectified an "out of position" blunder by Mathers.
No I don't like him.
turf

Post by turf »

A slap on the back is much more of a confidence boost I think.
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

ill answer your question there cp...

because noble has no b******s thats why... :angry:

and im sick to death of people sticking up for him, he needs to drop a number of players in my view...

fielden & mathers are a good way to start....