Team for next year Big Clear out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
RJ

Re: Team for next year Big Clear out

Post by RJ »

unfortunately what we need is a set of players who will play for each other AS A TEAM instead of a collection of prima donnas. Interesting that people want to get rid of Higham and Calderwood who are two of the only players who give 100% when they play. Fascinating that we drop Calderwood against Saints when we have no one else with sufficient speed to catch a cold.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

RJ wrote:unfortunately what we need is a set of players who will play for each other AS A TEAM instead of a collection of prima donnas. Interesting that people want to get rid of Higham and Calderwood who are two of the only players who give 100% when they play. Fascinating that we drop Calderwood against Saints when we have no one else with sufficient speed to catch a cold.
I don't want to get rid of Higham and Calders. I do think its inevitable one (Higham) or both will go. I can see why people may want to get rid of Higham in that his form this season has not matched his best for us but they forget he can be very effective I think.

My view is Higham is being asked to play a different game by Nobby than his natural one and it isn't working. I just think Nobby wants his team to play how he wants and can't coach to the strengths of the team he actually has. This is also IMO why he persists with Colbon over Calders.

Dave
emperorkel

Re: Team for next year Big Cl...

Post by emperorkel »

agree with you Daveo, people talk about enthusiasm and desire to wear the shirt and higham and Calderwood always show exactly that.

There is a serious problem at this club, at the start of the season Mathers was excited he was encouraging the other players. If you watched him at the end of the warm up he was in the middle of the huddle getting everyone wound up, he has stopped doing it and does not look happy.

Higham started well but was then made to realise that he had no future at the club and then McIllorum gets injured and we have a go at Higham for not stepping up to the mark.

We give Lockers a four year contract, why? we are told he is vitally important to the future of the club ????, if he is we have not got much of a future. I thought getting rid of Mo would be the start of a bright new future, it dont feel like it and our on field performances are getting worse even if wwe have picked up more points than this time last year.
RJ

Post by RJ »

DaveO wrote:
RJ wrote: I just think Nobby wants his team to play how he wants and can't coach to the strengths of the team he actually has. This is also IMO why he persists with Colbon over Calders.

Dave
Can't say I disagree with that. I think Nobby would want to buy another Bradford if he had a free hand. I would rather he organised the team we have so that they at least work together. Colbon is nowhere near the class of Calderwood nor does he seem to have the pace. Calderwood reads a game well and pops up where he is needed/can latch on to a loose ball.