Carney for Smith?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cpwigan

Todd Carney

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO

Re: Todd Carney

Post by DaveO »

Well I think this belongs in the rumour mill so I will move it when I have submitted my reply.

It's very strange but you may recall Tim Smith's agent openly discussing the the press an interest in Smith by the NZ Warriors for next season.

Why his agent was even speculating Smith could be back in the NRL for 2009 I really don't understand.

However could it be IL is resigned to losing Smith as we have Barrett and Carney is the next in line?

If so I have to say it would look very poor from Wigan's point of view. Desperate is the word that springs to mind.

Regardless of how good Carney is do we really need to be taking a chance on such a player for 12 months?

If we do lose Smith then I for one think its about time the club bit the bullet and gave S Tomkins the shirt and be done with all these unreliable Aussies. Joe Lydon in his new role should just lay it on the line this is how its going to be and if Noble can't cope then lets just get a coach who can.

Dave
warrior till i die

Re: Todd Carney

Post by warrior till i die »

i can only presume that leuluai will be used as second hooker for next year with mcillorum occasionally playing, to be fair macca needs to work on the poor parts of his game and it may do him good. so team for next year currently looking something like this???

Mathers
Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Pryce??? / New winger????
Carney
Smith
Fielden
Riddell
Carvell ???? (new prop)
Hock
O'Loughlin
Tomkins

Leuluai
Feka
Coley
Hansen

Id keep tomkins at loose, he has excelled at loose. it would give us 9 english players in the starting 13, including hansen!
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
DaveO

Re: Carney for Smith?

Post by DaveO »

This thread started in the rumour mill. The correct place. I merged a thread discussing the same thing started by cpw in Web Warriors.

It has now appeared in Web Warriors. The wrong place as it contains nothing but speculation until he signs (or not as the case may be).

I don't know if this was a result me merging the thread or not but I am going to put it back in the Rumour Mill - and hopefully it will stay there!

Apologies if my moderating switched the forum inadvertently.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO wrote:This thread started in the rumour mill. The correct place. I merged a thread discussing the same thing started by cpw in Web Warriors.

It has now appeared in Web Warriors. The wrong place as it contains nothing but speculation until he signs (or not as the case may be).

I don't know if this was a result me merging the thread or not but I am going to put it back in the Rumour Mill - and hopefully it will stay there!

Apologies if my moderating switched the forum inadvertently.

Dave

You needed to move cp's thread first, then merge them, I think.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Mobile phone posters used to move the thread back to Web Warriors, but I have just fixed that now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

TRICKY DICKY wrote:Mathers
Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Pryce
Tod Carney ?
Smith
Fielden
Riddell
Coley
Hock
Bailey
O'Loughlin

Feka
Glenn Hall ?
Leuluai
Hansen
Joel Tomkins
Goulding
Sam Tomkins
Ainscough
O'Carroll
Prescott
Mossop
McIlorum

This is pretty much how our 25 man squad will be shaping up next year. This will give 10 players from our academy system out of a 25 man squad.
Pretty damned impressive if thats the case!Need to show the ar*e ho*es from stains that we mean business instead of talking the talk. :D
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Fraggle wrote:
TRICKY DICKY wrote:Mathers
Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Pryce
Tod Carney ?
Smith
Fielden
Riddell
Coley
Hock
Bailey
O'Loughlin

Feka
Glenn Hall ?
Leuluai
Hansen
Joel Tomkins
Goulding
Sam Tomkins
Ainscough
O'Carroll
Prescott
Mossop
McIlorum

This is pretty much how our 25 man squad will be shaping up next year. This will give 10 players from our academy system out of a 25 man squad.
Ignoring the academy side of things, how would this work out for the new overseas players rule, given that Harlequins have started releasing EU players who are overseas. By my reckoning, this list has 10 overseas quota players:-

Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Carney
Smith
Riddell
Bailey
Feka
Hall
Leuluai
(Hargreaves?)

Apologies if any of these have somehow become British at some point, but I thought the whole point was to limit the numbers not eligible for a potential GB team and I don't really see Richards ever getting selected for GB even if he is ok for Eire...

It would also limit us recruiting yet more foreigners...
Counting this years squad, we have 8 foreigners. We'd be forced to lose some to bring some in. To get Hall and Carney in we'd be losing Barrett plus one other.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle wrote: By my reckoning, this list has 10 overseas quota players:-

Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Carney
Smith
Riddell
Bailey
Feka
Hall
Leuluai
(Hargreaves?)

Apologies if any of these have somehow become British at some point, but I thought the whole point was to limit the numbers not eligible for a potential GB team and I don't really see Richards ever getting selected for GB even if he is ok for Eire...
Leuluai was declared "federation trained" a few weeks ago so is no longer a quota player. And who is Hargreaves?

Without those two that is 9 quota players in your list. Does the quota drop to 8 next season? If so then obviously someone would have to leave for us to sign both Carney and Hall.

Dave
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

DaveO wrote:
Fraggle wrote: By my reckoning, this list has 10 overseas quota players:-

Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Carney
Smith
Riddell
Bailey
Feka
Hall
Leuluai
(Hargreaves?)

Leuluai was declared "federation trained" a few weeks ago so is no longer a quota player. And who is Hargreaves?

Without those two that is 9 quota players in your list. Does the quota drop to 8 next season? If so then obviously someone would have to leave for us to sign both Carney and Hall.

Dave
The quota is 9 next year then 8 the year after.
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE