Anyone Fancy Starting A Petition For Us TO Keep Micky Higham?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Anyone Fancy Starting A Pe...

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:Not really bothered, he's only started putting in better performances lately as he is still in need of a club next year
Rubbish. It simply doesn't make sense. Do you honestly think either the player himself or any club chairman is daft enough to think his form now is what any offer made to him will be based on?

This applies to any player not just Higham. "Oh he's leaving so he's trying hard". There is no logic in it as people aren't stupid enough to sign a player based on half a dozen matches or so.

Perhaps he's just being professional and despite how he has been treated is giving his usual 110% in his remaining games for the club?

Dave
:D
mark webster?

Post by mark webster? »

so you'd rather sell someone off for another australian this one overweight that's just come out of surgery FANTASTIC!

micky played against wakefiled with one eye taped so he could see! (i know it's not the worst injury people have had and played with, but micky would've had a broken wrist and still would've been in the line, something i wouldn't see riddell do!)

point being he will wear the shirt with more pride than any other fine austrailian imports!
Can't whack a good pint.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mark webster? wrote:so you'd rather sell someone off for another australian this one overweight that's just come out of surgery FANTASTIC!

something i wouldn't see riddell do!

point being he will wear the shirt with more pride than any other fine austrailian imports!
I'm sorry to lose Mickey and he doesn't want to go either but it is happening and there is nothing we can do about it.

How can you say he is overweight? he has lost an awful lot of weight?

He's recovering from knee surgery because he wants to be fit when he comes to Wigan and talked it over with IL prior to having it done. He can't wait to come to Wigan in fact he is chomping at the bit to get over here.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mark webster?

Post by mark webster? »

i'm stating the fact that we are getting ANOTHER australian instead of keeping a very good english player, yes i'd be ecstatic if riddell won us the challenge cup or grand final (can't see it for a season or two)

but it's the fact were trading out one of the best hookers in the league for an australian and have mc-ilorum on the sideline, i'm not saying he's a bad player, but i'd prefer micky to anyone else, he gives more than anyone on the wigan team eventhough he knows he's going, people will say he's only giving 110% as he's leaving but the last 3 seasons i've never seen him not give 110%, yes he's had bad games as have all of the team, but he's the only person that will give 110% evenwhen the game is lost with 20mins to go, which is what i can't see ANY australians that come over here will do.
Can't whack a good pint.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mark webster? wrote:i'm stating the fact that we are getting ANOTHER australian instead of keeping a very good english player, yes i'd be ecstatic if riddell won us the challenge cup or grand final (can't see it for a season or two)

but it's the fact were trading out one of the best hookers in the league for an australian and have mc-ilorum on the sideline, i'm not saying he's a bad player, but i'd prefer micky to anyone else, he gives more than anyone on the wigan team eventhough he knows he's going, people will say he's only giving 110% as he's leaving but the last 3 seasons i've never seen him not give 110%, yes he's had bad games as have all of the team, but he's the only person that will give 110% evenwhen the game is lost with 20mins to go, which is what i can't see ANY australians that come over here will do.
I agree with you about Mickey he plays 100% every game and I am sorry he is leaving, have spoken to him a few times regarding the situation, he is very disappointed when he is subbed, as he says he is just getting into the game when the powers that be put Mac on, (same with Feka) but there is nothing we can do the deals are done.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

I have stated before on here (and someone else mentions it too) that Higham is not a "starting hooker", neither is McIlorum for that matter (at the moment).

He is better at coming on as an impact player - very similar to his successor at stains James Roby. However, this would have seen Wigan lose another junior player (and we all know about the "wailing and moaning" from fans over losing players to others clubs - even to the point they bemoan the loss of very mediocre players like Aspinwall and Brown :roll: )

So who was it to be?

Or do Wigan release a player from another position just to sign a proper "starting" hooker and satisfy the Higham fan's and those who want us to keep every junior player who ever laces a boot for the club?

Perhaps lose Carmont and struggle without a centre again, or maybe lose a prop, so Mickey can cover that position, as no-ones really bothers about props - just so long as "nice guy Mickey" gets in the side!!!! :wink: :roll:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

I do think its a shame that Higham is leaving but its done so we have to get on with it and hope that next years combination is better. When Higham was subbed in the first half on friday he was surprised and as he came off he asked Forshaw why the f@@@ am I coming off, he was not happy and it was understandable because he was running at wakey and causing problems.
IMO this is one of Wigans biggest problems and the reason why I think Noble is overated as a coach, he subs by the clock and takes no notice at all of how the team is playing or the flow of the game. He clearly has a pre-prepared plan and we have to stick to it no matter what is happening on the pitch.
I for one would shake Highams hand and thank him for his effort for Wigan, he may be a long way from the worlds best hooker but he has always tried his best in cherry and white shirt and thats all you can ask.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:Not really bothered, he's only started putting in better performances lately as he is still in need of a club next year
Rubbish. It simply doesn't make sense. Do you honestly think either the player himself or any club chairman is daft enough to think his form now is what any offer made to him will be based on?

This applies to any player not just Higham. "Oh he's leaving so he's trying hard". There is no logic in it as people aren't stupid enough to sign a player based on half a dozen matches or so.

Perhaps he's just being professional and despite how he has been treated is giving his usual 110% in his remaining games for the club?

Dave
:D
Glad to see you acknowledge the "started putting in better performances lately as he is still in need of a club next of a club next year" idea doesn't hold water. :wink:

Dave
j658

Post by j658 »

emperorkel wrote: IMO this is one of Wigans biggest problems and the reason why I think Noble is overated as a coach, he subs by the clock and takes no notice at all of how the team is playing or the flow of the game. He clearly has a pre-prepared plan and we have to stick to it no matter what is happening on the pitch.
I think this is proved wrong by Noble not putting Feka back on the field against Wakey to keep our most mobile defence out there.

Back to the point. For me its about value for money, comparing what Riddell offers to what Mickey does.
Joe Lydon said that the dressing room is the quietest he has ever seen. It certainly won't be when piggy arrives. He should set a solid platform for the forwards to work off which Mickey (although a great impact hooker) doesn't always do. Piggy is an accomplished goal kicker, providing back up for Richards, and on top of that he will be taking charge of the academy side. I'd be surprised if his wages weren't a fair bit lower as well.
Players have to move on. I remember how gutted I was when Furner left. It’s part of the modern game with the salary cap. Wigan still have to do more balancing than most sides. At the end of the season we'll have to thank Mickey for his efforts and wish him the best at whichever club takes him on.
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

I've said before that it's pathetic the way he's been treated. I don't know much about Ridell, but I know we're losing a talented and committed player in Higham. He told me last week it's all done and dusted now, so best thing we can do as folk have said is cheer him on the next couple of weeks and hope he can work his magic and help us get to Old Trafford.

I'd keep him if we could.