A great Captain

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Re: A great Captain

Post by Sutty »

DaveO wrote:
Big ref wit' glasses wrote:The only way that he can be faulted is that he never seems to be vocal enough to spread his influence across all of the side.
Exactly and this is why while he is a very good player he will never be the complete captain. There are times when "leading by example" just does not work which for some reason people who insist he is a good captain will not accept. I have no idea why. Players like Faz led by example AND were very vocal. Best of both worlds, it is not a case of one style or the other and why Faz was a great captain and Lockers isn't.

Dave
Have you read Simply Rad yet Dave? If you have you will have read a very good section in there where Rads explains why he thinks Lockers is such a good captain. The again, maybe Rads doesn't know what he's talking about either! :wink:

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

cpwigan wrote:Leadership is what Lockers showed tonight in abundance.

Great defence, awesome workrate, nice passing/running. When many of the experienced pros in the team were awful Lockers stood tall tonight and was the one senior pro who matched the 3 young player.

A great player and a great captain.
average player

and never a captain

but i will say he as been playing well and is probably still our best player this season
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

MrDave

Post by MrDave »

DaveO wrote:
Big ref wit' glasses wrote:The only way that he can be faulted is that he never seems to be vocal enough to spread his influence across all of the side.
Exactly and this is why while he is a very good player he will never be the complete captain. There are times when "leading by example" just does not work which for some reason people who insist he is a good captain will not accept. I have no idea why. Players like Faz led by example AND were very vocal. Best of both worlds, it is not a case of one style or the other and why Faz was a great captain and Lockers isn't.

Dave
Perhaps Farrell was just an extremely good captain and I doubt they come around too often.

Why does Sean O'Loughlin have to be Andy Farrell? There are plenty of very good captains who were not very vocal. Shouting is not the most important thing in being a captain otherwise there are plenty of Wigan fans who must excellent captains.

The only thing that matters for a captain is the get your message across to the team and to motivate them. Some player shout, some player talk, some don't have to say anything.

Some people think that shouting at player send a message to the fans but other thing that talking rather than shouting show more control and respect from the player.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

platt-warrior wrote:For a while? he's been our stand-out performer for the last few games IMO.
Sorry Turf but can I ask what games you are watching? Lockers as been the stand out player this season! Whilst young Sam and Ainscough have been hitting the headlines Lockers just got on with his game of captaining the team.It's just unfortunate that some of the players have not shown the passion and pride that shaun as. :D
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Lockers is a good player with a passion for our club.He is not however a great captain.Great captains win matches by pulling something special out when the chips are down.You could see players looking to Farrell to make a great play and he was able to do just that.Lockers can not.He does a tremendous amount of work during a match but it is a very rare event to see him win a match with a great piece of play.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Made some great plays v Hull KR Old Hooker
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

The thing is he won't get Man of Steel IMO because of Wigan languishing where they are. I'd be very surprised, if OLoughlin continues his form, if when Wigan finish in a lowly position, he will be announced MOS
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

he did play well but he also gave a few penalties away with his stuped lying on but not as bad as fielden did.
IN WANE WE TRUST
pedro

Post by pedro »

Bailey is the worst on the team for it has been for 3 years. He was doing it far too much the other day and was looking at the ref every tackle. Most lying on penalties come from him.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Fujiman wrote:I'll believe it when Medlocke says so :lol:
Me too. :D
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09