Thread Blocking is wrong!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
FROM A TO B

Re: Thread Blocking is wrong!

Post by FROM A TO B »

warrior49 wrote:Not an unexpected response you DESPOT

It is a message forum not your personal propaganda site.....get real
Not sure of your comments are aimed at my post or elsewhere.
I do take exception to being called a DESPOT (if aimed at me), as I was merely stating the Mods guidelines as set out by Mike (who owns the site).

Quite how you can class me as someone governing as a single authority is beyond me. :eh:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:CAN I PROPOSE A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO WIGAN WATCHER FOR HAVING THE COJONES TO RAISE THIS TOPIC!!

I wanted to do it myself but I have already had several yellow cards from the tinpot dictators masquerading as Moderators!

I started a thread stating that Martin Offiah would not have made it into my top 5 Wigan wingers and was told by CPW in open forum that I had come close to bringing the forum into disrepute. The fact that he had publicly denegrated fellow posters (Highland Convert, Josie Andrews and Mike Binder) seemed lost on him!

In criticising DaveO and his treatment of posters, I called him patronising and condescending. That resulted in PMs threatenening to remove me from the forum for insulting behaviour. I have since made a log of the number of posts he has made which I consider to be far more insulting than anything I ever posted. Then again, I am not a mod!!

As for gpartlin, he is just a patsy! I am confident that he did not lock those threads on his own initiative but has been dictated to by the above puppeteers, who seem to have been conspicuously quiet for the last few days!

This forum is starting to stink to High Heaven!!

Once again, Well spoken Wigan Watcher. Chances are you won't see me on here again if the Politburo have their way!
Why thankyou for trying to drag me into your arguments. From what I read Wigan Watcher was making an entirely different POV to the one you are making.

Re Your Martin Offiah threads. Mike who owns the site rarely says a bad word about anybody / anything yet your thread made him annoyed. Moreso than I have ever seen. I could understand why though because it was the most asinine view on a player I had read on here. I also realised you were acting as a troll in threads which perhaps explained some of your threads.

Dave O is only crime is that he is like a dog with a bone. Beyond that he has masses of integrity and is completely independent. He has been on forums for a few years and airs views extensively so he is bound to upset people. The more you post the more you do.

GP. The funny part is if you wanted an ally in your Martin Offiah crusade he was and is your best opportunity because he dislikes the players attitude / treatment of fans. To call him a patsy though. He is very independent and as such is neither or never likely to be a patsy. IIRC he was co-opted as a MOD by Mike when the site had a nutcase hitting the site at odd hours. So GP filled a time scale when no mods were usually about.

Moi I am immaterial. Hence why you brought me up I have no idea.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

For what it is worth. Thread blocking is less than ideal and in that respect I agree with Wigan Watcher. However, locking threads is sometimes required. A few of mine were locked in the past and rightly so.

Sometimes threads are posted in the wrong forum and need moving and sometimes threads are duplicated and need merging. The Stuart Fielden one probably needed merging with another one. One reason Mods stopped simply merging threads was because posters moaned about merging threads. So you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. Hence, some Mods would lock threads instead.

The site has a couple of bugs which make life more difficult for Mods. An example, sometimes you can move a thread but when a new post is added to the thread it reverts to the original location.

Views on internet forums. Free speech provided it breaks no laws is generally the guide. Occasionally, a person posting might be protected from themselves. Kitwazzer / Martin Offiah would be a good example IMHO ;) there is a far more obvious example in the past.

Positive or Negative. Any poster worth their salt should be and see both. To be only one (always positive or always negative) is incredibly poor. A person holiding a position or a player can be good sometimes and bad sometimes. An example would be IFL, he has made some wrong calls but thankfully IMO he is making plenty of right calls now. However, even IFL slated the players at times and praised them at other times just as he did with his then coach. Mature debate is about seeing the good AND the bad.

Being a fan does not mean you have to pretend everything is wonderful come what may. How many fans shouted your not fit to wear the shirt or booed England at HT v Australia recently? Does it make them lesser fans? No of course not. Now imagine if somebody was cheering England at HT Phone call to the Funny Farm Now imagine if somebody was critical of the new coach / assistant / conditioner before they had even been in the job a week Phone call to the Funny Far / Samaritans.

Anybody ever watch a bad movie? a bad play? read a bad book? listen to a naff song? I bet you have seen a good movie also? a good play? read a good book? listen to a great song? Everything / anything is judged and what is it they say about opinions
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Thanks CP. I think some members are trying to see how far they can push it at the moment. I have seen forums come and go over the years and usually the introduction of a big character can either generate debate or cause a split between different groups which usually ends up with a huge reduction in post numbers.

KW's point is not the same as the point made by Wigan Watcher but KW reads it as an attack on 'the system' and jumps in with both feet to criticise anything and everything sensing he has found himself an acquaintance in his apparent task of bringing the forums into disrepute.

Incidentally CP/Butt Monkey/DaveO from an outsiders point of view I think you're all singing from the same hymn sheet but the atmosphere created on the forum by a few mindless individuals has caused people to look for personal attacks when there are none. I know no names were mentioned but I personally understood the point BM was making and unless I am completely mistaken it neither involved CP nor DaveO. When everyone becomes sensitive, defensive or angry the opportunity for logical and reasoned debate goes out the window.

My experience of forums tells me that differing points of view makes for great debate and in the past I have become 'close' (in an internet sense) to many people whose views could not be more different than my own. I can be passionately arguing with someone in one thread and praising them in another. I read a post and if I agree with it I agree with it regardless of who its by. If any of this makes me a patsy then I'll accept that title happily.

When I joined this site I was made to feel welcome by everyone, there was no atmosphere and although it was obvious some people had their differences it didn't feel petty and pointless as it often does to me now.

We might have different ways of working but the mods/Mike and the majority of posters all want the same thing. People need to start reading posts as they are written and responding to what is written based on how they feel about what is written. At the moment we have a growing minority who are reading who has written the post (or who the post is aimed at) and responding based on how they feel about this person.

If certain people want this to continue then carry on deliberately derailing threads and the likelihood is you'll be posting elsewhere by the start of the new season.

If I set up a vote asking whether you enjoy the site being like this with all the backbiting and the like, would you be willing to answer yes? Feel free to say so if you would. Otherwise I urge everyone to support those who are trying to steady the sinking ship in what little way they know.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

bobbyb

Post by bobbyb »

gpartin is the most stupid man on this site,a short time ago we were having a chat about voting in the local elections and because i did not agree with him he started to rip me and my family apart saying that my family had disowned me etc now gpartin knows nothing about me at all,a few days later he came on the site and said if he had upset anyone lately he was sorry,because his wife had just given birth to a premature baby and he was stressed,i had a son who died aged 10 but i did not lose it like gpartin,i think he should block some of his own threads,
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

bobbyb wrote:gpartin is the most stupid man on this site,a short time ago we were having a chat about voting in the local elections and because i did not agree with him he started to rip me and my family apart saying that my family had disowned me etc now gpartin knows nothing about me at all,a few days later he came on the site and said if he had upset anyone lately he was sorry,because his wife had just given birth to a premature baby and he was stressed,i had a son who died aged 10 but i did not lose it like gpartin,i think he should block some of his own threads,
#

At the time my apology was aimed mainly at Josie who I had a bit of a rant at for being overly defensive of some players, I don't think I offended her to the point that would make her react in the way you just have. If you could find this thread where I mentioned anything about your family disowning you I'd appreciate it necause the whole idea of me saying anything remotely like that is alien to me.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

bobbyb

Post by bobbyb »

well,gpartin if you do not recall what you wrote you are in a bad way,just look at your posts about the time you became a father,i will wait for your apology ps,you had a rant at me about your brother asking people how they had voted.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Bobby, just found it. You highlighted the fact that somebody had edited your post to say that you were a troll I replied before you did this. I replied on the basis that you had written this and was insinuating that if you are a troll it is no wonder you don't speak to your family and that they might have disowned you. After I posted and you highlighted that you thought your post had been tampered with I went in and removed the troll part.

You wrote "p.s i did not add the troll remark it must have been some juvenile (MODERATOR PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS PLEASE." At which point I went and removed it from your post but left my reply as if you had written it. Apologies but my response was genuinely based on what I read in your post.

PS in theory when the post was edited originally it should have said edited by "xxxx" and in your case I don't believe it did before my original reply.

bobbyb

Post by bobbyb »

thank you
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Slightly different context from how you put it but never mind. There's a PM system you could have quite easily discussed this with me at the time.

GP (stupidiest poster on here)