Sean O'Loughlin is not a good captain!!!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Sean O'Loughlin is not a good captain!!!!!

Post by ancientnloyal »

As far as I am concerned, even though I am open to the idea of having a leadership team, Sean is the Wigan captain under all the packaging and if we have a fluke and win a trophy, it will be him to do it I reckon, it would be criminal for someone else to lift it.

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Yet oddly all his team mates and coaches say otherwise and oddly so did his school and junior amateur coaches. Go figure. They must all be wrong and you are right.
Who gets picked as captain for junior and school sides is just about the most irrelevant measure you could care to think of as an indicator of leadership skills applicable to a professional super league team.

Junior teams tend to pick the best players as captains. It really is just a figurehead role - the one who shakes hands with the ref and so on. I bet we have many former junior captains in our first team squad.

As to the senior sides the first coach to appoint him to be Wigan captain was Ian Millward who IMO did it in typical Millward fashion to be controversial in appointing a young player captain. Regardless of my opinion on why Millward did it, it was him who did, so I don't think decisions he took should carry much weight when given he nearly destoryed the team. Being appointed by Millward isn't a recommendation.

Then Noble took over and he is a byword for misplaced loyalty to his first 17 so he would never in a million years change captain.

Basically at the end of the day Lockers as Wigan captain has been under Millward and Noble, two of the worst coaches we have had at the club so I see no recommendation there.

The fact we now have a new coach and a leadership team as opposed to Lockers as the only captain speaks volumes.
Great timing BTW. Hours before our first game of the season.
The season starts in Feb :wink:

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have captained umpteen teams and was never the best player and we are talking at decent levels with future professional players. Lockers was not the best player in many of the Junior teams he captained but he was the best captain and often selected so against more talented, bigger names.

I can tell you a future professional captain just by watching juniors. A good captain is a good captain from a very early age.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cpwigan wrote:I have captained umpteen teams and was never the best player and we are talking at decent levels with future professional players. Lockers was not the best player in many of the Junior teams he captained but he was the best captain and often selected so against more talented, bigger names.

I can tell you a future professional captain just by watching juniors. A good captain is a good captain from a very early age.
Not sure, Personally at that age I think it is a confidence thing with fellow peers. You either have it or let others do it
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

warrior1973 wrote:Well i guess Mike McGuire agrees cause O'Loughlin isnt the club captain anymore!!!.
No he was given the option to remain as the single captain or try something new which he has agreed to,

anyone else you want to whine about ???

Keep Wigan "Wigan"